Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noob questions on the nba

Options
  • 01-05-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hey hey,
    i'm heading over to new york at the start of december with the missus (who is big into basketball) and am thinking of getting a couple of tickets to an nba game. can any of you guys recommend which team i go see, and how i'd go about getting tickets? i know they sell them on nba.com - but do you know when the fixture list is published for the 2008/2009 season? sorry about all the noob questions :o please don't hammer me :p
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mru wrote: »
    hey hey,
    i'm heading over to new york at the start of december with the missus (who is big into basketball) and am thinking of getting a couple of tickets to an nba game. can any of you guys recommend which team i go see, and how i'd go about getting tickets? i know they sell them on nba.com - but do you know when the fixture list is published for the 2008/2009 season? sorry about all the noob questions :o please don't hammer me :p
    thanks

Hey. I had a similar question last year. I think the schedule is released around the start of August.

You have 2 teams you can go see, New York Knicks or New Jersey Nets. The tickets to the knicks will be more expensive as it's in Madison Square garden. My gf went to see a Nets game a few years back and she thought it was really good and she's never watched a game before in her life.

Whatever tickets you can get hold of, buy them. It will be an experience for the both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

cheers mate - i'll start the search around August. i have floor plans and all that good stuff for madison sq gardens, and managed to get a previous price plan for the seats - so hopefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

You don't wanna get nosebleed seats, get yourself as close to the floor as you can afford.

yeah - the seats at the back look way way way back, hopefully something around the middle will be available. or I could become hugely famous over the next 3 months, and get courtside tickets by some promoter! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

dont go to a knicks game cause they're sh1t :D

you'd be better of going to a Nets game.at least they might trouble their opposition a small bit during the game lol :p

• Advertisement

lol! well, at least we get to see alot of action I guess, if we go to the nicks - what would be a good game to catch? who would be the best team out there at the moment? last time I played basketball (in the local arcades) it was the bulls, with pippen and grant and jordan - it's prob changed a little bit since the 90's! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

mru, when the schedules decided, post up here with the dates you're going and the schedule for the games for some opinions on who to see. MSG is worth seeing alone at game time, so for that reason, I'd probably still take in a Knicks game even if they were absolutely horrendous this year. Change of coach taking place now though, although it'll be a year or three before they recover properly most likely.

coolio - thanks, but if they're that sh1t, shouldn't they get first pick from the drafts (not sure how that works), so they should have some decent players next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I was at a Lakers game in February this year, LAL vs MEM, and the seats in Staples are amazing. As long as you don't get the really cheap nose bleed seats you have a great view of the court and players. We spent about $100 on each ticket and had a great view of everything. I don't know how other arenas compare to Staples though.

Best thing was the food/drink servers. You sit in your seat, they take your order and text it to the kitchen, and it arrives about 5 mins later. It is expensive though, beers at $8+ a go, basic hotdog was about $10.

I'm thinking of another holiday in the winter, a tour of 3 NBA cities + touristy stuff. Something like NY, Boston, PHX, then either a few days in Vegas or LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was at a Knicks v Nets game a few years back, when VC signed for Nets, got tickets on the day of the game at MSG.

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote: »
    Best thing was the food/drink servers. You sit in your seat, they take your order and text it to the kitchen, and it arrives about 5 mins later. It is expensive though, beers at $8+ a go, basic hotdog was about $10.

je$us that sounds dangerous, beers delivered to your seat - sounds kinda like the Oktoberfest. it's such an easy way to get wasted. you could have 5/6 beers without even realising it. good work!!

anyways - got the tixs, about 180 euro for the both of them - seats seem to be pretty decent as well, and the gf is pretty happy with the whole situation, so I'm looking forward to it as well :D I'll let yis know how I get on. Any plyrs I should watch out for (and try to impress the gf!)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mru wrote: »
    anyways - got the tixs, about 180 euro for the both of them - seats seem to be pretty decent as well, and the gf is pretty happy with the whole situation, so I'm looking forward to it as well :D I'll let yis know how I get on. Any plyrs I should watch out for (and try to impress the gf!)!!

Who's the visiting team?

Nate Robinson is someone to look out for (literally) - he'll probably be the shortest guy on the team (and taller than me :))

Knicks look pretty weak, but David Lee (white guy #42) looks OK, Marbury can still produce some magic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

lafortezza wrote: »
    I was at a Lakers game in February this year, LAL vs MEM, and the seats in Staples are amazing. As long as you don't get the really cheap nose bleed seats you have a great view of the court and players. We spent about $100 on each ticket and had a great view of everything. I don't know how other arenas compare to Staples though.

I'm thinking of another holiday in the winter, a tour of 3 NBA cities + touristy stuff. Something like NY, Boston, PHX, then either a few days in Vegas or LA.

Funny you mention that. Went there in December 2005 when they played the Mavericks (Kobe had 62 points in 3 quarters) and got really cheap nosebleeds barely able to see any of the action:(

Redemmed slightly by going to the Warriors-Lakers game in March at the Oracle this year famous for the Fisher flop and got decent seats which cost 90$ each but didn't get the food/drink servers you encountered

Advertisement