Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a new monitor

Options
  • 01-05-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Buying a new monitor I have two Club3D 8800GTS, 512MB, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS, PCI-Express with an sli setup. Should I go for the biggest monitor I can afford or the best. i.e. two monitors same price one 26" the other 32"

Thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Virgil°

That graphics setup will juice just about any monitor.
    How much CAN you spend?
    And how much do you WANT to spend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I got a Samsung 206BW 2ms 20" LCD for sale if your interested. Drop me a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 c0rn

What are you going to be doing with your computer? It looks like gaming with the sli setup.

The price isn't always everything. To be really sure try and find some reviews on the monitors and make sure that the monitor you get will fit your needs.

If the 26" one is way better then the 32" one and you will be gaming, then go for the 26" one as it should give you a better gaming experience with good quality. But there is also the resolutions to think about.

Good 24"+ will give you 1920x1200
    Good 30"+ will give you 2560x1600

If the 32" can deliver 2560x1600 with a good response time then I would guess that it would give you one nice picture to look at.

What models have you been looking at? And for what price? And as I asked before, what will you be doing with it?

Answer those questions and I am guessing that the people in the forum will have many good ideas for you. Many people in here with some crazy knowledge.

/Kenneth

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭docetes

I'll prob spend maybe €400-500 on a monitor but I'll go more if its worth it. To be honest I don't have a clue about monitors. Whats the difference between TFT and LCD TV

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

docetes wrote: »
    Whats the difference between TFT and LCD TV

LCDs are TFTs, they are the same thing. Their is a difference between a tv and a monitor thought. TVs would have a much lower resolution than a monitor.

• Advertisement

So I should be looking for a high refresh rate and resolution. Any brands I should avoid look at? I like LG and Samsung as a brand but again I have to stress I'm a bit clueless

Thanks for all the advice so far

Dave

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So I should be looking for a high refresh rate and resolution. Any brands I should avoid look at? I like LG and Samsung as a brand but again I have to stress I'm a bit clueless

Thanks for all the advice so far

Dave
    LG and Samsung would be quite good. This samsung (http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4M1X&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,15) seems pretty good. Your sli'd gts' should be able to power it no bother as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have that Samsung 245B, bought it on hardwareversand.de few weeks ago. Love it, even wrote bout it on my blog.

Personally I wouldn't bother. The integrated speakers are most likely rubbish. It's the same resolution as a 24" monitor so the picture wouldn't be as sharp (whether or not this s noticeable I don't know). It's about €200 more expensive than the monitor I linked to above. Is an extra 2" worth €200?

• Advertisement

LG and Samsung would be quite good. This samsung (http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4M1X&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,15) seems pretty good. Your sli'd gts' should be able to power it no bother as well.

I just had another look there; I can't really find a better monitor for its size than that

Thats a bit cheaper alrright but not better; 6ms v 2ms

Thats a bit cheaper alrright but not better; 6ms v 2ms
    Anything under 8ms wouldn't be noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How are you finding that? You seem to be the only one that bought one....

I would, but can't afford it right now...just bought a second GTS. :rolleyes:

So just to be sure an LCD-TV is no good (They're so much cheaper :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Anything under 8ms wouldn't be noticeable.

When gaming you can notice the difference between 8ms and 2ms even the difference between 5 and 2 is noticeable

I think it's overrated though, much the same way as the never ending 60v100fps argument. For a good 5 months I used to play LAN on a secondary machine that had a flimsy 15" PC World unbranded screen, response time was something like 15ms...didn't really bother me, in fact, I didn't even notice any real difference to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

How are you finding that? You seem to be the only one that bought one....

I would, but can't afford it right now...just bought a second GTS. :rolleyes:

OT

Yeh, so far so good. Seems to be a decent panel, great viewing angles, good for watching movies, and great for gaming. I'll have to trawl through that overclockers thread again as I remember a few people having issues - some straight away, some after a few weeks. It's light as a feather - which has me a little concerned - as the PSU is integrated and light PSUs aint normally the greatest. 3 Year warranty. Overall though, really satisfied with it.

I'm very tempted to get one. I reckon my 20" Samsung would fetch at least 180-190 (I hope), so it wouldn't cost much extra to get it....

• Advertisement
Advertisement