Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anniversary

Options
  • 01-05-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

I'm in Newbridge and not familiar with the restaurants in or near Newbridge.

Looking for a nice place to take my wife for our anniversary (7th).

Any recommendations?

If you can say what you like about the place and maybe favourite dishes too that would be great.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I can very highly recommend Pauls in Kilcullen. It's just 10 mins drive/taxi from newbridge. - The staff are very friendly but not at all intrusive, the setting is magnificant, especially now with the nice weather: they have a heated drinks area out the side overlooking the liffey. It's a really lovely setting.

We booked for 8pm and when we arrived we were told that our table would not be ready for ten mins so they seated us at a table in the reception part of the restaurant right by a windw and gave us free drinks as an apology - this was fantastic, it's not like we were going to complain over ten mins!

The food is awesome (although they could improve on their veggie options). They do unusual dishes like steak in a tobacco gravy, chicken in gunpowder gravy etc. Risotto starter is fab as is their goats cheese and their desserts are amazing.

4 of us went out and we had drinks before and after our meal, 2 bottles of wine, starter, mains, dessert, coffee and it came to between €200 & €270 (I can't remember - as you can see we had a fair bit to drink!)

It's definately a "special occasion" place, you wouldn't go every week but I find myself coming up with excuses and "special occasions" to go. In fact, my lil sister is finishing her exams in two weeks - might use that as an excuse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kuedm

Where exactly is the restaurant Pauls? Or do you have a phone number?

With the nice weather we're having I may just drive out there and find it :)

Thank you for the info.

If you're coming from newbridge to kilcullen you will come into the town at the lights, on a cross road, facing the hideout. Turn left at those lights and go through the town, when you go over the bridge, take an immediate right into the carpark. It's just there beside the river. I don't have the number but you should be able to get it from directory enquiries.

I don't think it opens during the day or most weeknights (It's not open very long) so you might have to trust me and book and go without checking it out first :eek: but believe me, It's fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Sounds good Helena. I'll give it a try.

For Newbridge I think Donatellos is the best of the lot.

Naas - on the whole - has better quality restaurants.

Where is donatellos?

Naas has great restaurants too, indie spices is one of my fav restaurants ever. (after Pauls)

Pasta fresca is decent too - but again the veggie options are not great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Where is donatellos?

Eyre St - which is parallel to main street. The end closer to the river.

Well did anybody try Pauls?

We had a meal in La Primavera in Naas on saturday. And it's new on my recommendation list! Absolutely lovely! Just a weeeee bit off on the dessert, (not exactly as described, but was nice for what it was) but everything else was lovely. Not expensive either. It was very full which was a good sign. It has a really "buzzing" atmosphere. Much more atmosphere than Pasta Fresca, across the road. More of an old world, cosy feel to it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kuedm

Hi again,

We finally got to go out for our dinner a few weeks late. It was last minute so we went into Zen Thai which is on Main street in Newbridge. Just up from the pub Harrigans.

For just under €70 we had wine, sushi, thai spring rolls, 2 orders of rice and two dishes which we shared. Services was great. The food tasted great. The vegetables were done perfectly. The atmosphere was nice as we were able to enjoy our meal in peace. A simple nod and the staff eagerly came to the table as quickly as they could....they were discretely on constant watch to see whether we needed anything.

I had the King prawns in a Green curry and it was really really good.

So there is great food and service in Newbridge!! :D

We still want to try out the places recommended in this thread when time allows.

Cheers

Advertisement