Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any real magicians out there or is it all just trickery

Options
  • 01-05-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

So are there any real magicians with real magic powers or are all the illusions on telly just trickery ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I think most people will say it's trickery, but thats what makes a good magician the ability to make it look real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*bangs head off wall*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

* Joins Mordeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Mordeth wrote: »
    *bangs head off wall*
    King Mob wrote: »
    * Joins Mordeth

Guys, you're going about this all wrong

*bangs op's head off wall*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

orestes wrote: »
    *bangs op's head off wall*

*Joins you*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Mordeth wrote: »
    *bangs head off wall*

Says magic word

Giant Rabbit appears

Who needs a wand anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads, address what he has said rather than just take pop shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

No one has ever successfully demonstrated magic, psychic, voodoo or any other 'power' in a controlled scientific test.

Every magic trick ever presented (yes even Jesus's) can be repeated and explained using trickery. To paraphrase The Amazing Randi: if Uri Geller is bending spoons with his mind he's doing it the hard way.

There. That is as fair an answer as any... And now... <joins in head banging>

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

??? wrote: »
    No one has ever successfully demonstrated magic, psychic, voodoo or any other 'power' in a controlled scientific test.

Every magic trick ever presented (yes even Jesus's) can be repeated and explained using trickery. To paraphrase The Amazing Randi: if Uri Geller is bending spoons with his mind he's doing it the hard way.

What he said. Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

yes james randi set up the The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge in the 1960s to find out if anyone on planet earth had a gift of magical powers or other such claims, so far nobody has even passed the preliminary test which really tells you everything you need to know........... nobody can perform real magic, nobody can foretell the future, nobody can talk to the dead or bend spoons with their mind etc :D

http://www.randi.org/joom/content/view/38/31/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

*Wham* *Wham* *Wham*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i feel like my dreams destroyed by this thread...:(

would banging my head makes me feel better?*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yes james randi set up the The One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge in the 1960s to find out if anyone on planet earth had a gift of magical powers or other such claims, so far nobody has even passed the preliminary test which really tells you everything you need to know........... nobody can perform real magic, nobody can foretell the future, nobody can talk to the dead or bend spoons with their mind etc :D

http://www.randi.org/joom/content/view/38/31/

how does uri geller bend spoons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Permission to post a reveal to put this poor disalusioned soul out of his misery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

MooseJam wrote: »
    So are there any real magicians with real magic powers or are all the illusions on telly just trickery ?

Dude wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Define magic.

Permission to post a reveal to put this poor disalusioned soul out of his misery?

I was under the illiusion that because Geller was using the trick to defraud people that left the trick as fair game to be revealed.

And when MooseJam said real magic (as in magick with a k) I assumed he meant a paranormal ability that is manifested by the will of a person.
    This is of course unless he was refering to Harry Potter magicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

??? was kind enough to send me videos explaining it, thanks

Permission denied.

Sabotage wrote: »
    Permission denied.
    But Geller uses magic for evil.
    Should we not put a stop to his nefarious schemes?
    (It's not even a very good trick.)

• Advertisement

We've already had the thread about posting reveals.

But does Gellers stuff actually count as magic (our kind not the kind with a k).
    He's claiming that its not trickery but paranormal powers even though he's pretty obviously faking.
    Is he covered by the magicians code?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

But does Gellers stuff actually count as magic (our kind not the kind with a k).
    He's claiming that its not trickery but paranormal powers even though he's pretty obviously faking.
    Is he covered by the magicians code?

If any other magicians use spoon-bending in their acts (and some do), then they're covered by the magicians' code. Never mind that weird little Geller creep. I'd agree that it's a fairly common knowledge effect anyway but that still doesn't mean we won't upset some poor chappy who earns his bread in an honest manner with this effect.

EDIT: For the record I don't use it but what if poor Sabotage Jr. reads the forum and finds out how Daddy did the magic with the spoon today. Tears all round.

Popinjay wrote: »
    If any other magicians use spoon-bending in their acts (and some do), then they're covered by the magicians' code. Never mind that weird little Geller creep. I'd agree that it's a fairly common knowledge effect anyway but that still doesn't mean we won't upset some poor chappy who earns his bread in an honest manner with this effect.

EDIT: For the record I don't use it but what if poor Sabotage Jr. reads the forum and finds out how Daddy did the magic with the spoon today. Tears all round.

Ain't no Santa Clause neither.
    But in fairness to the honest magicians(oxymoron?) they usually come up with better and more convincing ways to do the trick than Geller.
    He's only got like 3 ways of doing it and he been doing for 20+ years.
    Kinda lazy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ain't no Santa Clause neither.
    :eek: you're not meant to post reveals!!!! :(:(:(

Advertisement