Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV Xbox 360/PS3

• 01-05-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

I've compared the two, and i've come to the conclusion that GTA run's better on the Xbox 360 rather than the PS3, or maybe it's just difference in TV's?

Xbox 360 - Samsung
    PS3 - Sony Bravia

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just buy the damn game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Cremo wrote: »
    just buy the damn game

I have it on Xbox 360, but my brother has it on PS3. Maybe miss lead by the post Cremo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm regretting not buying it on xbox now, mostly due to the crappy PSN. Fantastic, multiplayer in GTA! Just you won't be able to play for a few months because are servers are unable to cope with the amount of players.

How is the DVD noise on Xbox? One of my pet hates about the console is how newer games cause it to spin at max rpm, meaning that game volume has to be particularly loud to drown out the noise. Doesn't work at night when the house is sleeping.

I have the Xbox 'Halo' Edition. Most updated harware, with the latest CD drive, So noise is kept to a minimum. But for regular xbox the noise isnt too loud i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its like a helicopter in your sitting room, at least the SFX and music in GTA makes it ok to blast the sound.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I don't mind the sound. The drive is just as load as it is with other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

it's loud enough I guess but it doesn't annoy me in the slightest

infact i find the hum sort of soothing :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm regretting not buying it on xbox now, mostly due to the crappy PSN. Fantastic, multiplayer in GTA! Just you won't be able to play for a few months because are servers are unable to cope with the amount of players.

WTF?

Is the PS3 really that ****e? I've not got either console, I've been a full on PC gamer since the ps1 days. But I'm considering getting a PS3 in a few months almost 100% primarily to play Street Fighter 4 online, and if its true GTA4 aint coming on the PC, then that too.

I'm no blind fan boy.

The reason I lean to PS3 is for 2 reasons.

I find streetfighter impossible to play on anything but a playstation pad.

And the main one :

360 FORCE you to pay monthly just so you can play online at all

Online play is a right not a fking privilege. I understand mmorpgs. But coming from playing mostly online games on my PC for years. PAYING just to go online in all games is off the fkin wall.

So PS3 it is. So whats so bad about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Well I've barely been able to get on the PS3 mp, only early on in the day. Just says it can't connect to the servers any other time. You get what you pay for TBFH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

The DVD noise was a problem for the first time in 2 or 3 years (however long I've had the 360) the other night trying to play GTA. The house was asleep so trying to keep it down, but sitting beside the 360 with the telly 6' away doesn't help, add in the fact that I had the surround sound option on instead of stereo AND the Jamaicans were talking and it was a bit of a struggle to make out some words :p.

I'd still unquestionably go for the 360 version though, every time, just like for Rock Band.

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Well I've barely been able to get on the PS3 mp, only early on in the day. Just says it can't connect to the servers any other time. You get what you pay for TBFH.

wtf, you paid (im guessing) 60 euro for it. Its says it can play online = it should play online.

grrr fkin consoles:mad:

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    wtf, you paid (im guessing) 60 euro for it. Its says it can play online = it should play online.
    Have the 360 version aswel for my online needs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

grrr fkin consoles:mad:
    Nothing really to do with consoles. The system is overloaded so the servers can't cope, I imagine it'll be remedied soon enough. Happens to pc games to.

How come ps3 doesnt have MP?

Hasnt the noise problem stopped with latest xbox's?

I noticed the game's frame rate drop's alot on ps3 version, especially with aload of action on screen. I'm so happy i stayed with xbox :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

meant to say "just play the game".

ps3 does have MP i was playing it 10 minutes ago.

i haven't had any problems with frame rate on my ps3, even with 6 stars and everything going crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Will try to find the article but the President of Rockstar said he prefers it on the PS3. Take that you Xbox scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wicked chicken

Just got gta4 and a xbox360 with halo3 and kane and lynch for E289.00 is this a good price?.w Would have loved a Ps3 but just to much money! Did i do the right thing?:D

Just got gta4 and a xbox360 with halo3 and kane and lynch for E289.00 is this a good price?.w Would have loved a Ps3 but just to much money! Did i do the right thing?:D
    Sounds like a good bundle tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

the 360 has server issues towards the end of last year, but ps3 servers not being able to cope (however annoying it is, and its very annoying) is a good sign......... more people with ps3's :D

Nothing really to do with consoles. The system is overloaded so the servers can't cope, I imagine it'll be remedied soon enough. Happens to pc games to.

The impression I'm getting is this is standard stuff for online on the PS3, I take my online very seriously as its the main reason I play games these days. We all know how dodgy BF2 was on release but when I took that game home I was able to play it online right away.

Can someone explain to me how online play is even done with the PS3? Is it up to sony/rockstar to set up servers or do servers go up everywhere like normal online games?
    I might be buying a PS3 just to play online with it so I'm very worried about the online aspect where as most PS3 users seems to treat online as a novelty.
    Elem wrote: »

I noticed the game's frame rate drop's alot on ps3 version, especially with aload of action on screen. I'm so happy i stayed with xbox :)

WTF I thought the PS3 was meant to be far more powerful than the 360? Wtf?

Holy **** thats cheap. I mean that is seriously cheap. From a totally neutral stand point, I have always seen the 360 as the logical choice for a console.
    Its cheaper, more games, more GOOD games. & from what I see, the very same graphics.
    Only reason I can see for people to get the PS3 imo :

Its got a better pad

it says "Sony" on it.

Blu ray (meh)

When ever I have this discussion with people they never mention the one big issue for me, that is FREE INTERNET.
    This issue alone, despite all the reasons the 360 is better leans me over to the PS3 still as its a massive one for me. **** Microsoft for charging for STANDARD FEATURES.

But if games are totally unplayable online with the PS3 I'll probably just forget about it all together though.

bryanjf wrote: »
    but ps3 servers not being able to cope (however annoying it is, and its very annoying) is a good sign......... more people with ps3's :D

This makes no sense. I mean really? wtf?:confused:

Seriously, look at the thread where everyone organising to get together and play GTA4 online. They are all giving their online ID's and they don't even need to say what console they are using cause its assumed they are all on the 360. I had to ask to find out. Its pretty disheartening for a potential PS3 buyer I must say. :(

• Advertisement

The issue is the network servers. Everyone has to log in with their id's to be able to play the game, this is the portion of the network that is failing and is being overloaded. (BF2 suffered the exact same issue on day of release, was very difficult to create accounts or login, but that was only really release day) There are no servers hosted by companies. Every game is hosted on the client's machine (afaik). It works pretty well, when one machine starts to struggle the others pick up the slack.

From what I've seen there's alot more people play the 360 version online than PS3. The reason the 360 suffers less is because it has been out much longer so the infrustructure is there. Also since MS have the cheek to charge for online in the first place they can't really get away with having a sub standard service.

I wouldn't worry too much about this problem in the future. From what I've heard most people can play online with hardly any problems and the problems that do exist I imagine will be sorted out soon. This is also the biggest game pretty much ever afaik so I don't think problems like this are likely to crop again (probably wishfull thinking)

Ah I understand now, indeed BF2 had that issue many times. I had to wait for ages to log in. Often with multiple attempts.

I know I'm kinda hijacking this thread at this stage, but can any anyone lay out the fundamental differences between the two consoles online environment?

I mean I constantly hear people bitching that the PSN is worse then xbox live, but I have no idea in what way.

The only issues I am personally aware of is those typical NAT/port forwarding issues that plague all gamers.

Xbox 360 has more RAM...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

just put games into your hoover instead of buying and xbox, they make the same noise :p joking . 360's online kicks ass i've owned both

but whats the difference between them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

but whats the difference between them?
    Hardly anyone on ps3 has a mic for one thing.

You can't mute people.

Plus you can't invite people to a game when you're in-game.

You can't see who's online when you're in-game.

Only 50 people on your friends list.

I could go on...

ShaneU wrote: »
    Hardly anyone on ps3 has a mic for one thing.

You can't mute people.

Plus you can't invite people to a game when you're in-game.

You can't see who's online when you're in-game.

Only 50 people on your friends list.

I could go on...
    This is true regarding the mics. However, it's a good thing atm since you can't mute people properly and there's enough stupid kids on it as is. That said, I've heard it's much worse on the xbox and a lot of people are actually turned off online by the amount of racism/anger expressed on the mics.

I mainly only play COD4 online (and quite a bit at that) and feel that the online thing could be easily improved. For starters, I think there should be pc-like lists of games running/starting, who's playing, ping/connection, what map is being played etc with the ability to create your own public games hosted on your machine instead of the shíte little lobby that throws you into whatever game is available. The option to mute should have been there a long time ago also.

Can someone explain to me how online play is even done with the PS3? Is it up to sony/rockstar to set up servers or do servers go up everywhere like normal online games?
    I might be buying a PS3 just to play online with it so I'm very worried about the online aspect where as most PS3 users seems to treat online as a novelty.
    Sony leave it up to the developer to deal with the servers
    WTF I thought the PS3 was meant to be far more powerful than the 360? Wtf?
    Hype.
    When ever I have this discussion with people they never mention the one big issue for me, that is FREE INTERNET.
    This issue alone, despite all the reasons the 360 is better leans me over to the PS3 still as its a massive one for me. **** Microsoft for charging for STANDARD FEATURES.
    Its €5 a month, never bothered me to pay it as it always worked well for me and is great fun with a couple of friends.
    But if games are totally unplayable online with the PS3 I'll probably just forget about it all together though.
    Games play fine most of the time but if you're buying a console for online play I'd go for a 360. The PS3 games almost always lack the standard features of Live games and there is normally alot more people on Live.
    rb_ie wrote: »
    That said, I've heard it's much worse on the xbox and a lot of people are actually turned off online by the amount of racism/anger expressed on the mics.
    Every so often you get a game like that (never remember it happening in COD, but Halo has plenty of them) but it only takes a few seconds to go to the 360 menu and mute them. You'll never hear from them again in any game then.

I believe the ingame dashboard is coming to PS3 in an upcoming update.
    (could be totally wrong)

• Advertisement

I believe the ingame dashboard is coming to PS3 in an upcoming update.
    (could be totally wrong)
    Nope, it's been requested constantly and Sony have acknowledged it but they've never said its coming.

Advertisement