Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV Xbox 360/PS3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yes they have. In this summers firmware update. Can't get a link at work (restricted access) but google it and you can find confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'd imagine that Home might may be the difference maker in terms of Sony making significant ground on Xbox's online service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Elem wrote: »
    How come ps3 doesnt have MP?

Hasnt the noise problem stopped with latest xbox's?

I noticed the game's frame rate drop's alot on ps3 version, especially with aload of action on screen. I'm so happy i stayed with xbox :)

God the Fanboyism is overpowering.....

PS3 DOES have multiplayer, the exact same as the 360.

There is more slowdown on the 360 version, having played both extensively.

And no, the noise problem certainly hasnt stopped with the 360. They are like a jet fighter taking off from your sitting room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

WellyJ wrote: »
    They are like a jet fighter taking off from your sitting room.

Way to quell the fanboyism. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    WTF I thought the PS3 was meant to be far more powerful than the 360? Wtf?

The clock speed on both is the same. However, the 360 architecture is PC based where as the PS3 is developed for gaming. The 360 has a 3 core 3.2GHz processor, the PS3 has a multi-core layout with 8 sub cores, fed by one main core. (over simplifying really!). Either one or two of the sub cores are redundant, so not in use. Basically, for any game that will be developed for both consoles, I would say that they should perform equally well on both consoles, perhaps slightly better on the 360. The PS3 has more potential though for games developed solely for it from the ground up to maximise the use of it's unique processor. When that happens you'll see the PS3 at it's best. No idea how much better it'll be, but in theory it will be more capable if it's fed in the right way.
    Incidentally, IBM either developed or co-developed the processors on all 3 current consoles, Nintendo, MS and Sony. So who's the real winner? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    there is normally alot more people on Live.
    Thats a bit harsh. I've never had any problems with PSN where there wasn't enough people online at the time. That is just a myth.

Way to quell the fanboyism. :rolleyes:

Well seeing as i play both of them as much as each other,

I take myself out of any fanboy category.

I was just as happy to admit when i bought the ps3 at launch, that there was nothing good out for it and it was a dust collector, while playing my 360 to death.

Just as now I am happy to admit that the 360 is simply too loud to be used in certain situations, particularly as a media player.

I dont want to have to turn up the volume on the tv to drown out the sound of the console.

PS3 doesnt suffer from this at all.

Not Fanboyism, realism.

Not Fanboyism, realism.

Have you heard what a Jet Engine sounds like taking off from your sitting room? My point was in regards to your exaggeration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

They are like a vacuum cleaner in your sitting room.

There. Now everyone can be happy!

Have you heard what a Jet Engine sounds like taking off from your sitting room? My point was in regards to your exaggeration.

I'll try to keep everything literal in future, to cater for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

WTF?

Is the PS3 really that ****e? I've not got either console, I've been a full on PC gamer since the ps1 days. But I'm considering getting a PS3 in a few months almost 100% primarily to play Street Fighter 4 online, and if its true GTA4 aint coming on the PC, then that too.

I'm no blind fan boy.

The reason I lean to PS3 is for 2 reasons.

I find streetfighter impossible to play on anything but a playstation pad.

And the main one :

360 FORCE you to pay monthly just so you can play online at all

Online play is a right not a fking privilege. I understand mmorpgs. But coming from playing mostly online games on my PC for years. PAYING just to go online in all games is off the fkin wall.

So PS3 it is. So whats so bad about it?

I don't think paraphrasing the "right not a privelege" saying applies so much to online gaming. The difference between PSN and Live, having used both, is basically "you get what you pay for".

I have managed to get "unable to connect to service provider" regularly, then the rare times I have got multiplayer in GTA4 on PS3 working, I have been left with the "one or more players connections have been lost, returning to single player".

I think €60 (or thereabouts?) for Live is a small premium to pay for a more reliable service.

Its not about being forced to pay dude, no one is holding a gun to your head. It boils down to 2 choices: do you want free online gaming that is unreliable most of the time and I have yet to get working with GTA4, or would you sacrifice the price of a pint once a month for the pay-to-play system of xbxo live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Has anyone heard a jet engine blasting thousands of pounds of thrust across their sitting room? Probably not, but the 360 DVD drive still makes a heck of a lot of noise at full tilt, and in the context of your average sitting room, that will be quite noticeable.

I'll try to keep everything literal in future, to cater for you.

Good man.

Good man.

And go have a wash ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I don't get it when people say PSN and Live are as good as eachother, they can't have tried both, PSN really is not what is should be at this stage, Sony need to get the finger out. Also, buy codes online for XBL (12 months) instead of paying monthly, it's cheaper.

I'd prefer XBL was free, but if I had to choose between paying for it and using PSN for free, I'd go with XBL every time.

Graphics wise there is not much difference between the two, they seem to both have their benefits. Some reports say the 360 version has better framerate (and higher res) but the PS3 version has less pop-in. The visual styles seem a bit different, some prefer the 360 look (cleaner?), some prefer the PS3 version (colours are different, but slightly blurrier, which some do prefer too). It's pretty much up to preference, so the other factors come into play: controller, DLC (if you care about it), friends. I much prefer the 360 controller but the last one is a big decider, any evening I go online these days I have at least 20 people on my friends list online, playing GTA (some SP, some MP). Been concentrating on the SP so far but getting into the MP this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

koneko wrote: »
    but getting into the MP this weekend :)

Send us an invite

played it last night, rocket only deathmatch. Great laugh trying to roll left and right away from a rocket :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't think paraphrasing the "right not a privelege" saying applies so much to online gaming. The difference between PSN and Live, having used both, is basically "you get what you pay for".

I have managed to get "unable to connect to service provider" regularly, then the rare times I have got multiplayer in GTA4 on PS3 working, I have been left with the "one or more players connections have been lost, returning to single player".

I think €60 (or thereabouts?) for Live is a small premium to pay for a more reliable service.

Its not about being forced to pay dude, no one is holding a gun to your head. It boils down to 2 choices: do you want free online gaming that is unreliable most of the time and I have yet to get working with GTA4, or would you sacrifice the price of a pint once a month for the pay-to-play system of xbxo live?

This doesn't fly for me at all. And you are forced to pay to play online. Or can you play online with the 360 without all those features?

And about the features, as I said, this **** is standard with PC gaming, I don't even NEED to get into Steam, these days friends lists and mic options and even community options with built in clan features come BUILT INTO THE GAME itself.

Also don't Microsoft charge developers for releasing stuff online, like they take a chunk out of everything that's downloaded with XBL? While at the same time, limit download size?

Question for those in the know for the PSN: Is Sony making any advances to improve online gameplay? Will they start charging money once they release HOME?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Will they start charging money once they release HOME?
    Home is free, but you pay for extra clothes, furniture, bigger apartments etc.

wtf? lol. But does home not add more functionality to the online experience? I'm not interesting in playing sims atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There is more slowdown on the 360 version, having played both extensively.
    I've found completely the opposite (along with every 360 vs PS3 review posted so far), noticeably better framerate on the 360 version.
    Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Also don't Microsoft charge developers for releasing stuff online, like they take a chunk out of everything that's downloaded with XBL? While at the same time, limit download size?
    Yep, thats how consoles work. For anything that is released on a console royalties are paid to the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I've found completely the opposite (along with every 360 vs PS3 review posted so far), noticeably better framerate on the 360 version.

Agreed. Also, isn't the ps3 version 630p? Lower resolution to gain slightly better draw distances. 360 version better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Has anyone heard a jet engine blasting thousands of pounds of thrust across their sitting room?

I heard on last night in my sisters house. Oh no, wait. It was just my nephews xbox 360 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

It's hard to say because I don't think anyone has really played it for hours on end (all the way through, all islands etc) across both versions, and due to the dynamic nature of the sandbox, there can be a lot of variations in framerate..
    What I've found is that on interior scenes, the 360 version may have the slight edge in framerate and in less populated areas..
    But the slowdown is probably worse when travelling at high speed and of course, the pop-in in far, far more noticable and quite distracting..

PS3 on the other hand, while still having a bit of pop-in, maintains a more consistent frame-rate, but is still subject to slowdown like the 360 when scenes are very busy..Less load times as well..

What I will say around the whole 640p thing with the PS3, is that I think Rockstar should have taken the same approach with the 360 version..
    On the same setup, flicking back and forth, the 360 version, while looking slightly cleaner and having text a little bit sharper, does look slighty worse than the PS3 IMO..
    Leaving aside the better draw distance of the PS3 version for the moment, the 360 version has some awful dithering effects and shadow delineation compared to the PS3 one. Filtering effects are also far better on the PS3 version....and lighting, while not perfect, does have the edge over its cousin..
    Jaggies, while noticable in both, are more so in the 360 one due to the cleaner appearance..
    Its almost a case of sacrificing a small drop in resolution, in order to gain better graphical features ala PC tweaking..

For the vast majority of people, either version will be fine, and I don't think you'd be disappointed having chosen one or the other..
    They both have their pros and cons.......but I'd say I'll continue playing through the PS3 version, before the 360 one primarily because I'm further along..
    After that's done, people would be able to give a more informed opinion of the performance across the entire map..

McDermotX wrote: »
    What I've found is that on interior scenes, the 360 version may have the slight edge in framerate and in less populated areas..But the slowdown is probably worse when travelling at high speed

Again have to disagree, when I first started playing the game on the PS3 I was walking around infront of my apartment and the framerate felt identical. As soon as I got into the car and started to explore the city I noticed the framerate difference.

Do agree with the shadows looking much better on the PS3 version, although can't see any difference in the lightning :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Again have to disagree, when I first started playing the game on the PS3 I was walking around infront of my apartment and the framerate felt identical. As soon as I got into the car and started to explore the city I noticed the framerate difference.

Do agree with the shadows looking much better on the PS3 version, although can't see any difference in the lightning :confused:

Thats fair enough Ciaran,
    frame-rate can be very subjective.......Too be honest I think the frame-rate on both versions, while comparable, sucks..
    Whilst not ruining the game, it certainly takes away from it at times and, whatever you do, don't play it right after a 1920x1200, 60Hz, V-Sync'd Vice City or San Andreas on PC, or you might well throw GTA4 in the bin !

Like the others in the series, I don't think GTA4 will find its true home with me until it shows up on PC (hopefully).........While the art direction and design of the city is admirable, and there is some very cute tinkering under the hood getting the game to run on the PS3 and 360........I don't think either machine is up to the task just yet of delivering what Rockstar set out to do..

Right now though, its the only way to play the game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Agreed. Also, isn't the ps3 version 630p? Lower resolution to gain slightly better draw distances. 360 version better imo.

I didn't even realise that the PS3 did 630p. My tv switches to 720p when I am playing GTA IV

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I didn't even realise that the PS3 did 630p. My tv switches to 720p when I am playing GTA IV

The PS3/360 can render at any resolution but they always output the standard resolutions.

Whats this so GTA is causing slow downs on the consoles? I thougth the benefit of consoles is that they don't have these issues?

How bad are these slow downs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the frame rate dropping substantially when travelling at speed (particularly noticeable in a boat) is really bloody distracting..

• Advertisement

Jesus...

Is there a patch in the works?

Advertisement