Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't I just use boards in peace...

Options
  • 01-05-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I was banned for having another account after my first one was banned(yes I know..) and I used it for a long time(nearly 6 months now) without any trouble, until today when the mod who keeps banning me obviously did so again. I was in the middle of selling an item on adverts to which I had been paid for but had yet to send. I now have no postal address for this chap waiting on his new phone. It's a bit far fetched to keep banning me for nothing, I'm here and I'm sound, can't we just get along -_- I know this account is now going to get a mighty boards ban, but a little understanding wouldn't go too far amiss. I also note that the mod said "follow the rules next time" well, to you, I have been following the rules, but thats obviously not good enough.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

*grabs popcorn*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

short answer, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 backonceagain

im just waiting to see *banned* again...im not even bother arguing it's a waste of time when I could be reading something, it would be nice to just get on with things though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DILLIGAF?

I had high hopes for you son.

so I start another account and thats it? until I get banned again of course.

• Advertisement

DILLIGAF, I couldnt tell ya who poppin fresh is

as a side note, im sorry for pissin off sharkman about the iphone thing(thats what got me banned in the first place) but I thought it was a harsh rule(which now no longer seems to be in place anyway...)

I said sorry then but he wasn't havin any of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

He seems harmless, let him be

i like it here and im not a troll, I also dont like feeling like a snake and having to circumvent with another account,I know it's not cool, and rules are rules, but honestly I just want to be a boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

im just waiting to see *banned* again...im not even bother arguing it's a waste of time when I could be reading something, it would be nice to just get on with things though

Tbh, do not give up. I'm sure if you talk things over with whoever it was who banned you, you can come to an agreement and things should be sorted. Obviously you didn't sign up to hurl abuse, like a lot of people do who have been previously banned, so this is likely to be taken into account.

I wish you the best of luck. ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for the understanding! I dont know who the mod was as they didn't tag the 'reason' with their name. Can anyone find out for me and perhaps I can pm and see how it goes? im scared by the way :(

Usually, a pm to the mod who banned you explaining that you are sorry etc. sorts this out (I know you have to rereg to send the pm but as you long as you restrict the account to that, you should be fine)

if that doesn't work, PM and an SMod or an Admin, they are pretty much the highest level here.

Which mod is this btw?

Edit: the last 20 posts of your previous account seem grand, but you are wrong about the rowing machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

thanks for the understanding! I dont know who the mod was as they didn't tag the 'reason' with their name. Can anyone find out for me and perhaps I can pm and see how it goes? im scared by the way :(
    RoundyMooney Send PM

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

EDIT: Never mind, I got confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/me waves.

We can discuss this via PM, or here. All the same to me, boss^is^dead.

Either way, I promise an open mind, and will happily give my reasoning to date, publicly or privately.

By the way, this has its root in adverts.ie shenanigans, and was applied as such to remove PM privileges in the case of dupe accounts, a policy I stand over, as modding adverts is fraught enough as it is without some multiple personalities trading via PM under different guises.

edit: and yes, to clarify, you did break adverts rules, and while some latitude is afforded to noobs, none is applied to those with, well, previous...

Had you signed up again and behaved, as many others do, there wouldn't be an issue.

howrya!

when you say I broke adverts rules, was that on DILLIGAF or boss^is^dead? I can't remember exactly what happened with boss^is^dead, I remember it being something about me pissing off a mod. Oh then there might have been an off thread dealing issue with an item I was selling or buying I can't remember rightly. :(

I honestly don't want to put anyone out, nor do I want to cause any problems for mods with anything I'm at. Right now the only thing I was selling was a phone and that was on all on thread. I understand that other possible buyers would want to see the status of items(ie, if they are sold,pending or still available) and it's important to keep all banter on show, but sometimes I think I got a little weird about trying to bargin a guy down in front of everyone, typical salesman (arm over the shoulder "walk with me..." kinda carry on)

Your only doing what your supposed to I understand, and me asking like this is pretty cheeky to be fair, but I had to ask, just to get it out of the way once and for all and see if I could apologize and just get along.

Either way cheers for hearing me out and being straight up!night

I can remember:

-bossisdead was originally banned for two months for off thread dealing, and had this to say when pulled on it:
    eh?whats your problem?the guy pm's me so wtf am i supposed to do???ignore him until he posts on the thread? if either of you want it then let me know. g'luck and chill the **** out

This was your third adverts ban, you originally got either two or three weeks for thread hijacking, and two weeks prior to that for threadspoiling.

-Following this, reregistered with the username deadprez, the following day, and immediately landed yourself with an AH infraction, and a siteban for reregging to evade a ban.

-Then we had blackseed. Reregged, posted six ads, and was summarily removed before they could do too much damage.

-Master-Decoy suffered the same fate. What's the point in banning people if they don't learn from their mistakes?

-You obviously didn't. You signed up *again* with DILLIGAF (obviously you do if you keep reregging :/), and were left to your own devices until you started initiating off thread dealing *again*.

Noobs get some little latitude. After all your brushes with the rules of our community, you should be intimately familiar with those rules and guidelines by now.

You have caused an inordinate amount of hassle for boards and adverts moderators. Most users just float along, bothering no one, some of them even contribute by volunteering time, subscriptions, or even just by raising a chuckle or an eyebrow, and making us think.

What have you ever done for us, besides causing grief, and only now, after multiple bannings, actually showing up and taking stock of your actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

but honestly I just want to be a boardsie
    Try behaving like one then and you wouldnt find yourself in this predicament.

I would think you have been a naughty boy so you will have to stand in the corner for a long time.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I assume a cat pic is now warranted.

1209094312077.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

• Registered Users Posts: 19 biggame83

Hey, would just like to add there that I bouht a phone of this guy and he was sound to deal with until ye banned him mid transaction with me leaving it quite impossible to finish the transaction (after I paid) so basically im tryin to say wake up if you are going to ban someone. It took some serious browsing boards before I found him again under a differant user. Thats my money you are affecting mod and if incidents like this can happen so easily then this adverts.ie system is seriously flawed and subsequnetly an unsafe trading place.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've used adverts a few times and everything went great.

It's very hard to be sure about sellers though and it's up to the mods to do their best ,make sure the innocent aren't exploited.

The mods can't pick and choose who to mod ,it's hard enough spotting bogey users.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

biggame83 wrote: »
    Hey, would just like to add there that I bouht a phone of this guy and he was sound to deal with until ye banned him mid transaction with me leaving it quite impossible to finish the transaction (after I paid) so basically im tryin to say wake up if you are going to ban someone. It took some serious browsing boards before I found him again under a differant user. Thats my money you are affecting mod and if incidents like this can happen so easily then this adverts.ie system is seriously flawed and subsequnetly an unsafe trading place.:mad:
    If the seller acted the bollix then its with him you should have the beef, not the mods. Had he agreed to abide by and carry out the sale in accordance with the charter then none of this would have happened so its a bit rich of you to come along here and blame everyone and everything except the person who caused the problem.

muffler wrote: »
    Try behaving like one then and you wouldnt find yourself in this predicament.

I would think you have been a naughty boy so you will have to stand in the corner for a long time.

His latest breach has been adverts related, but given his history, a full ban was issued to remove PM privileges, and to make our lives a little less confusing :)

I can't vouch for his antics on boards, though, which were mainly confined to two of his usernames, the multiple reregs excepted, which are heinous enough in themselves.
    Maximilian wrote: »
    I assume a cat pic is now warranted.

I didn't know HappyCat had it in him.
    biggame83 wrote: »

I'm wide awake, ta. Should we wait 'til users finish any outstanding dealings before hitting them with a banstick?

If you've reached the PM stage of the transaction, then what's stopping you from completing the business by email? We don't have to walk you through that process, surely?

If adverts is flawed due to having a strict moderating policy (which is for your protection too by the way, Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells), then you can always use other trading sites, which allow you to upload images, comment on your adverts, and when a deal is struck, communicate online in real time, and in a safe and regulated environment.

Good luck with finding one of those that is run voluntarily for the benefit of its community, predominantly Irish oriented, and above all, free.

at no point was I using multiple accounts. You banned one, i opened another. Your intervention on adverts was not warrented. The sale was carried out, we do not need to discuss how we are going to transact on the thread.

I'm not really too fussed here, I'm just asking for my account back. If not then fair enough. Not really much more to be said. I'd also appreciate if you wouldnt make me out to be such a vigilante and suggesting that I contribute nothing to boards. I have started a few threads that have remained open and discussed for some time, mainly the one concerning the british army. If this is not up your alley then how am I supposed to entertain you with my opinions?You also may not be a regular viewer of the body mods thread, again, this is not my concern. In the words of a great goodfella,do you think I'm here for your entertainment? ;)

Either way, I accept whatever it is you have to say. You should probably have consulted with me first as to my ban or given some sort of indication that one was foreseeable to happen and to tie up my affairs.

No harm done, biggame will get what he paid for and backonceagain will be banned. Thanks for listening. Goodluck

at no point was I using multiple accounts. You banned one, i opened another. Your intervention on adverts was not warrented. The sale was carried out, we do not need to discuss how we are going to transact on the thread.

And you think creating phoenix accounts to circumvent bans is acceptable do you?

You think soliciting PMs because you're too lazy or absent minded to check the thread for updates is acceptable?

You are one of our worst offenders for bumping adverts, even under your last incarnation. I infracted you for that at least once, and warned you on other occasion(s).

Myself and the other mods will decide what's acceptable intervention on adverts, not you.
    I'm not really too fussed here, I'm just asking for my account back. If not then fair enough. Not really much more to be said. I'd also appreciate if you wouldnt make me out to be such a vigilante and suggesting that I contribute nothing to boards.

I haven't ruled anything out. I can't understand why we have to run through banning 101 everytime someone complains that they have been treated unfairly.
    me wrote:
    Some banning 101;

We don't like banning people, it's a pain in the ass. We do so for two main reasons:

1. To remove the problem at source (usually permanently). This includes spammers, scammers, those with previous negative history that we simply don't want here for a myriad of reasons, or habitual sh1t stirrers.

2. To impress upon the user that an action they have taken is contrary to our community, and that further breaches will not be accepted. These are temporary bans, and I have lifted many of them early on foot of apology, some within hours. Once people accept they are in the wrong, then the ban generally becomes unnecessary. Of course each instance will be treated on its own merits.

You are, and have been since the middle of last year, firmly entrenched in reason #1

Some others have gone from #1 to #2, and from there to freedom in short order. Unfortunately some, like you appear to be at this time, miss the point, and stay in the virtual pigeonhole they start from.

In my interactions with you, my opinion stands. I don't read all of boards, we have only one mod who does that. You have wasted an inordinate amount of my time, and the time of other mods, warning, warning, and ultimately banning your mutliple (i.e. more than one) accounts.
    I have started a few threads that have remained open and discussed for some time, mainly the one concerning the british army. If this is not up your alley then how am I supposed to entertain you with my opinions?You also may not be a regular viewer of the body mods thread, again, this is not my concern. In the words of a great goodfella,do you think I'm here for your entertainment? ;)

Not at all. As I say, this is overridingly an adverts issue. I have no sitewide jurisdiction on boards outside of the fora I mod.

I have clarified my meaning above, and trust you understand my point.
    Either way, I accept whatever it is you have to say. You should probably have consulted with me first as to my ban or given some sort of indication that one was foreseeable to happen and to tie up my affairs.

No harm done, biggame will get what he paid for and backonceagain will be banned. Thanks for listening. Goodluck

Thank you for accepting the current situation. I have not or will not go down the road of warning before banning in this particular case, although I routinely do in the case of new users, or where there may be reasonable confusion on their behalf. I will not be altering this policy.

As I say, biggame may contact you via email, as you are at that stage in the transaction anyway.

I won't be banning this account either, unless it is to reinstate DILLIGAF, or unless you dirty your bib on adverts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

but honestly I just want to be a boardsie

lol

erm,all of this is being taken VERY seriously.

again, this is just something to do when I'm at work or whatever, no biggie :/

but PLEASE don't blame me for wasting your time, your quite capable of doing that for yourself as you've demonstrated.And considering the forums you moderate I really don't think we have anything in common anyway,so once again, I'm not going to be someone to,erm, raise your eyebrow or help you out.

I would also like to clear up that every item I've had on adverts has been traded off for in a fair manner in agreement with the buyer. This is around 30+ items, ranging from 10euro to just over 1500, so lumping me into the catagory branded for scammers and the like is laughable at best, you dont like me because I'm a **** stirrer, I've met a few of those in my time, usually politicians.I replied to a pm from someone who was keen for the item and I said this ON THREAD,everyone knew and no one cared but you.but thats your job or hobby or whatever so I understand.

anyway goodbye, this could have been really straight forward and without being so nasty

• Advertisement

Ah well.

You know, all you had to do was acknowledge your mishaps, and undertake not to cause trouble again.

You haven't done either, so I'm out.

Advertisement