Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not build a weir on the Liffey?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055285481

Would it be an idea to build a weir on the Liffey before maybe Dublin port or somewhere inland. I'm sure there are weirs way further up the Liffey but I'm talking about the final stage, maybe from Heuston Station onwards.
    We've all seen the Liffey at low tide and the resultant smell and shopping trolleys, traffic cones and bikes.

This would eliminate all of these though I'm no engineering expert.
    They had similar issues in Belfast and they built the Lagan Weir.

Well, what say you?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What happens when the Liffey is in flood?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There's not a lot of space to build a weir is there? especially when you consider the cost of land around Dublin.

I haven't noticed a smell from the Liffey, that said it does look crap in low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i thought there was plans for something like that already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its been a long time since the Liffey stank.

Wanna improve it, get rid of the boardwalk. Or rather, get rid of the junkies on the boardwalk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've got one in my back garden. The one at the Trinity boat house. Very smart it is too. Perfect picnic spot, heron, geese, swans , loedsa things for me and my daughter to throw stones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It hasn't been a long time since it stank,last summer it was particularly pungent on the day or two the sun came out. I've always wondered why it stank,is it sewerage or just the scum at low tide. Would dredging it make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Mairt wrote: »

Wanna improve it, get rid of the boardwalk. Or rather, get rid of the junkies on the boardwalk.

I agree, I haven't been hit by the "stench" in a good while. Except for that of the boozy junkies. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mairt wrote: »

and also the little batter burger head 12-19 year olds that do hang around there

Advertisement