Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need planning permission for Percolation area & treatment plant?

• 01-05-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Currently renovating an old house...want to put in a sewage tretment plant with percolation area vs. septic tank that is currenly there. Do I need to go through planning ermission to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

yes this will require permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And its a big YES from me also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

yes but the application should not be as tricky to put together as one for a full house, however you may need percolation tests and soil analysis done also which may restrict your choice of final unit or system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Slig wrote: »
    yes but the application should not be as tricky to put together as one for a full house, however you may need percolation tests and soil analysis done also which may restrict your choice of final unit or system
    Oh, he will need these done. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

How about this sceanario...

1. Site with 1970's house on it, using septic tank for sewage.
    2. Outline permission granted for another house on same site.
    3. Same outline permission has ok for percolation area/treatment plants for both houses (i.e. 1970's house septic tank is replaced with treatment plant/perc area because where septic tank currently is will be where driveway to new house is going to be).
    4. Site characterisitc reports done for both 1970's house and new house as part of outline planning permission (ok) but done back in 2005.
    5. Its in Co Clare...

Now what we're doing is...
    1. Do up (gutting) the 1970's house & move into it as quick as possible. Want to use the percolatin area/treatment tank with the 1970's house (ie too late we copped needed planning permission...the piping to septic tank well ripped up at this stage).
    2. Get full planning permission for new house.
    3. Build new house & move into it.
    4. Sell 1970's house.

I don't want to wait to get full planning permission before moving into 1970's house (painful paying rent and a morgatage)...are there options?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

You wont have much choice if you wish to stay compliant with planning permission.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

higster wrote: »
    How about this sceanario...

1. Site with 1970's house on it, using septic tank for sewage.
    2. Outline permission granted for another house on same site.
    3. Same outline permission has ok for percolation area/treatment plants for both houses (i.e. 1970's house septic tank is replaced with treatment plant/perc area because where septic tank currently is will be where driveway to new house is going to be).
    4. Site characterisitc reports done for both 1970's house and new house as part of outline planning permission (ok) but done back in 2005.
    5. Its in Co Clare...

Now what we're doing is...
    1. Do up (gutting) the 1970's house & move into it as quick as possible. Want to use the percolatin area/treatment tank with the 1970's house (ie too late we copped needed planning permission...the piping to septic tank well ripped up at this stage).
    2. Get full planning permission for new house.
    3. Build new house & move into it.
    4. Sell 1970's house.

I don't want to wait to get full planning permission before moving into 1970's house (painful paying rent and a morgatage)...are there options?

Thanks.

so you have an old 70's house, that you want to move into now, and do interior alterations....... no problem so far.
    you want to use the existing septic tank... again no problem....

sorry, i dont see where there is any issue??

just because outline has been granted for an upgrade to teh 70's house doesnt mean you need to act on it at the moment. As far as i would be concerned, the existing status quo is fine, and once you dont do anything that is not exempt from planning... you can work away...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so you have an old 70's house, that you want to move into now, and do interior alterations....... no problem so far.
    you want to use the existing septic tank... again no problem....

sorry, i dont see where there is any issue??

just because outline has been granted for an upgrade to teh 70's house doesnt mean you need to act on it at the moment. As far as i would be concerned, the existing status quo is fine, and once you dont do anything that is not exempt from planning... you can work away...
    Unless Im reading his post wrong syd I think his problem is that the tank & perc. area serving the old house is now bollixed
    Want to use the percolatin area/treatment tank with the 1970's house (ie too late we copped needed planning permission...the piping to septic tank well ripped up at this stage).

However it may be a case that its just the feed pipe to the tank in which case it can be replaced and he can continue to use it.

But he did say
    because where septic tank currently is will be where driveway to new house is going to be).
    so this a problem which brings us back to his original post. The only thing I can think of is to temporarily move the position of the new driveway till the new house is near finished and then the new system can be installed after the driveway reverts back to its originally planned position.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

muffler wrote: »
    Unless Im reading his post wrong syd I think his problem is that the tank & perc. area serving the old house is now bollixed

However it may be a case that its just the feed pipe to the tank in which case it can be replaced and he can continue to use it.

But he did say so this a problem which brings us back to his original post. The only thing I can think of is to temporarily move the position of the new driveway till the new house is near finished and then the new system can be installed after the driveway reverts back to its originally planned position.

yeah i thought its just the pipe to the tank thats shot.. .which can be replaced....

the position of it in the new driveway wont become an issue until the near completion of the new house....

i still reckon its fine for them to do what they want at the mo'.....

Advertisement