Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeweller's in Sligo?!

Options
  • 01-05-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone recommend any jewellers in Sligo?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Well there are quite a few jewellers in town.I think Wherleys are pretty decent and they will do you a good deal a majority of the time.Very friendly and helpful staff.
    I can't really commment on the other jewlers in town as its not a shop I would go into everyday and when I do go one,its usually to Wherleys as they usually have some really nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Where about are they? There's a few in my own town, but there's only 1 I'd go into - the owner is very helpful (the rest are an ignorant bunch!)
    Unfortunately, he can't get what I want:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Its at the top of O'Connell Street(the pedrestrianised street in town)...its up beside the O2 shop which is on the corner...it can't be missed really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The one up the High Street is lovely, I can't remember his name at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

magnumlady wrote: »
    The one up the High Street is lovely, I can't remember his name at the moment.

Henrys I think its called. I've heard alot of locals have used it for generations. Its opposite the Inishfree Hotel/Ark Bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

sueme wrote: »
    Henrys I think its called. I've heard alot of locals have used it for generations. Its opposite the Inishfree Hotel/Ark Bar.

I'd highly recommend them I got a ring there for my 21st - had an idea in my head and they got it made for me for little or nothing - I'm still wearing it years later and everyone compliments it!

They got it made for you?! That was pretty decent!
    Cheers for the replies, hopefully she'll find something she likes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Henry's are very good. They do modifications and repairs in shop unlike many places which send them away. They're also very nice to deal with. The missus gets some money off sometimes too as we bought her engagement ring there and she tends to buy alot of jewellery.:(:D
    I heard henry's also have opened up the old shop next door and the propietors son/brother? is selling jewellery desinged and made in shote and does commisioned pieces. The Cat and the Moon on Castle street also do this I think.
    Armin Lowe's at the top of O'Connell Street are good too. Then there's Shaw's, Wherley's, H.Samuel, Quayside and Argento as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thats the one Henry's, such a nice friendly man, really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thats the one Henry's, such a nice friendly man, really helpful.

+1

Best in town.

E.g. Bought a watch there a few years ago. Since then I've gotten the face changed and a new battery, both times he's didn't charge me.

• Advertisement

Trawled through every jewellers we could find in the town - Henry's was the most polite, although there was a very helpful lady in H. Samuels. There was another small shop close to abrakebabra - they were pretty sound.

I was in Wherleys, but I wouldn't be in a rush back, weren't very helpful.

Couldn't find what we wanted though - no-one's stocking white gold & gold chains anymore apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

wherlys is a quality place with great stuff,costly though.

henry's is a legendary place,small wee shop but whenever i go there and i got a lot of jewellry over the years i go there.friendly,reasonable price wise and best yet they are honest and the quality of their stuff is great.

i'd also mention armin lowe aswell.h samuel stuff is tacky and cheap imo not good quality at all.

henry's it is!!

Armin Lowe is the guy down by skabrakebabra - he was sound, him and the guy in Henry's are to get back to the missus next week - they are gonna make a few calls to get what she is looking for!

The only chain she liked in H.Samual was very light, now that you mention lack of quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

h samuel like all chain stores it seems care little for the customer and mass produce pieces of poor enough quality for optimum profit.while henry's are happy enough to knock a few quid off the price for ya and often get their own jewellry made,excellent quality...the guy who runs it is dead on,thats why i keep going back there i guess as does everyone in my family.the 1st stop

The lady we were talking with in H.Samuals was very helpful and friendly, it was just that the only chain the gf liked was very, very light - didn't feel like something made of gold at all, more like something out of a lucky bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

land9 wrote: »
    no-one's stocking white gold & gold chains anymore apparently!

Try Argos. They still do sovereign rings too. :D

I never thought of there - what are argos' gold products like?! Do they feel like you're getting what you're paying for?!

Try Argos. They still do sovereign rings too. :D

Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Have you had a look in the Cat & the Moon on Castle Street?

http://www.thecatandthemoon.com

I never thought of there - what are argos' gold products like?! Do they feel like you're getting what you're paying for?!

I really couldn't say - I suppose you get what you pay for there - and despite being called a twat for saying so, they DO actually stock what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

I really couldn't say - I suppose you get what you pay for there - and despite being called a twat for saying so, they DO actually stock what you're looking for.

I called you a twat two months ago, damn these thread dragger uppers. I do apologise, I suppose, but there was, imo, no need to be so catty about the OPs choice in jewellery.

(I rock at half hearted apologies :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

If you have a problem with someones post please report it.

Do not resort to personal abuse. You're all here long enough to know better by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Try1ng

+1 Paddy Lowe is a gent

takola wrote: »
    If you have a problem with someones post please report it.

Do not resort to personal abuse. You're all here long enough to know better by now!

As for Sueme's post, I half-wholly accept her half-hearted apology. :D

Going back to jewellers - you can actually buy a gold Man Utd sovereign ring in Argos. Yet another reason for them to open in Sligo... they'd have the town blinged out in no time at all.

sueme wrote: »
    I called you a twat two months ago, damn these thread dragger uppers. I do apologise, I suppose, but there was, imo, no need to be so catty about the OPs choice in jewellery.

I didn't realise he was getting catty with me - thanks for sticking up for me though :D

I didn't realise he was getting catty with me

They don't call you Captain Slow for nothing, so it appears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Have you had a look in the Cat & the Moon on Castle Street?

http://www.thecatandthemoon.com

While you are on castle street try teh georgian place! (I like old stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Be nice :mad:

Burn!

Oh wait, that was me................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I've only shopped in what i'd see as the main three. Lowes, Shaws and Wherely's.
    Gave them all plenty of money over the years!

Not anymore!

Advertisement