Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonic Hydrotherapy

Options
  • 01-05-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Alright girls, need to know if anyone's had it done and was it worth it.

A friend of mine had it done two years back, two sessions, said it was great, altho costly, and she even lost a few pounds. Didn't feel like eating rubbish afterwards, so went on a healthy fibre and fruit and veg rich diet.

Gave her a buzz today as I was thinking about it..think I may have IBS and generally feel sluggish..I do eat a lot of crap, but feel a dose of this would do me good..but when I asked her about it she said that looking back, it wasn't really worth it, she now takes a dose of "jollop" or as the chemist call it "Fleet" which is basically the over the counter stuff people have to take before they gaet a colonoscopy as it clears out the bowel...so she said she does that twice a year..means staying in the house near a loo for a day, but a fraction of the price..

Obv I'm not looking for weight loss, but just want to start afresh:) and I understand that the complications of taking this "jollop" more than the recommended times would be dangerous.

Anyone got experience of either? Im sure neither are pleasent but just feel sluggish and want a clear out:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I really wanted to start this post with 'No shit?' :)

I used that awful awful clearout stuff once in my life. My only thoughts at the time were that I really hoped I would never, ever have to do it again.

Ive never done colonic hydrotherapy, and to be honest I think if you have a good diet its probably unnecessary. Im not a medical person but I think the theory that your bowel holds onto compacted waste for months is a lot of codswallop. Id be interested what the guys in biology and medicine thought.

The best thing I ever did to counteract IBS was have less stress in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Believe me, I thought of many a headline for this post:)

I don't necessarily believe the jargon either about the bowel getting compacted with food years old etc..gross but I guess I just feel sluggigh down there..I exercise lots. okay I do eat rubbish, I would find it hard to stop without good incentive, and IBS is only a suggestion by my doc..

Dunno, just curious I guess?!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Believe me, I thought of many a headline for this post:)

I don't necessarily believe the jargon either about the bowel getting compacted with food years old etc..gross but I guess I just feel sluggigh down there..I exercise lots. okay I do eat rubbish, I would find it hard to stop without good incentive, and IBS is only a suggestion by my doc..

Dunno, just curious I guess?!
    I dont believe your bowels can hold stuff for yonks either. I did that stuff for a colon scan and it does clear you out but you feel exhausted afterwards. Drained! My niece had irrigation and the woman told her that melted cheese was the worst. It hardens like concrete. Jeepers cripes I must have a block of houses up me bum:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Wasn't there some reference in Beverly Hills Cop to red meat supposedly hanging about in the colon for a long time too?
    Don't really see how a slow flow of water is going to remove anything the body can't remove on it's own though? If were some kind of high pressure spray then maybe, but I don't think that would be too healthy to use internally like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Processed foods are toxic to your body. Hydrogenated fats, refined sugars and nutritionless, vitmain and mineral devoid junk have no redeeming features whatsoever where your diet is concerned. But these out and eat only wholefoods (lots of vegetables, some fruit, lean meats, fish, eggs, whole dairy and a small amount of grains and wholemeal), cut out caffeine & alcohol, and drink lots of water and I guarantee you that your digestive system will thank you for it, without the need to resort to sticking a hose up your arse and unecessarily flushing gallons of water around your bowel.
    ...I guess I just feel sluggigh down there..I exercise lots. okay I do eat rubbish, I would find it hard to stop without good incentive, and IBS is only a suggestion by my doc..

A good incentive to stop eating rubbish? Personally my health, the condition of my nails, skin and hair, my energy levels and my sleep quality is as much incentive as I need.

Colonic hydrotherapy and enemas have been discussed at length (1, 2, 3) on the Fitness Forum if you want more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I'm just like your friend, I had it done a few years back twice over a 6 month period. But just like your friend I wouldn't recommend it. While it was great for making me feel very well right after it, had lots more energy and lost weight and it did make me more prone to go for healthy food. But before I had it done I never had any problems with my tummy in terms of digestion or anything and since then I've had so many things wrong and I have a general week tummy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Pretty much what Gem said. It's also easy enough to make changes, eg for breakfast have a bowel of All Bran or Porridge and throw in a small bit of linseed.

Watch what you eat the rest the and it gets easy enough to make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gillo wrote: »
    for breakfast have a bowel of All Bran or Porridge and throw in a small bit of linseed.
    Freud would be píssíng himself at that slip.

Processed food doesn't have unnutrious never mind toxic.
    Likewise just because it is a whole food does not mean it is the best option.
    OP I'd look into the IBS thing more carefully if I were you. I am not sure that recommending more insoluble fibre, fruit and veg or dairy is a good thing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Freud would be píssíng himself at that slip.
    Damn, beaten to it! Hah! I hope to jeebus Flutterin' Bantam doesn't find this thread.....

Seriously though, diet changes as mentioned are the way to go. A one off Colonic, at the start is really only for those in desperate need of it. If you feel you have to I'd chat with a doc about it first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Processed food doesn't have unnutrious never mind toxic.
    Likewise just because it is a whole food does not mean it is the best option.
    OP I'd look into the IBS thing more carefully if I were you. I am not sure that recommending more insoluble fibre, fruit and veg or dairy is a good thing for it.
    By the OP's admission she eats too much rubbish. Cutting out that rubbish will go a long way towards helping her detect if her sluggish bowel is from eating too much refined sugar and processed fats or a genuine problem that may need medical intervention.

Wholefoods may not be the best option, but compared to eating rubbish it's almost always a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

okay I do eat rubbish, I would find it hard to stop without good incentive, and IBS is only a suggestion by my doc..

I have to say the fear of someone sticking a hose up my ass would probably be more incentive for me to eat clean so I don't have to get it done rather then waiting till after it has been done to start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

g'em wrote: »
    By the OP's admission she eats too much rubbish. Cutting out that rubbish will go a long way towards helping her detect if her sluggish bowel is from eating too much refined sugar and processed fats or a genuine problem that may need medical intervention.

Wholefoods may not be the best option, but compared to eating rubbish it's almost always a better option.

+1. The worst thing you can do for your digestive system is highly processed foods full of hydrogenated fats, refined sugars and additives. A simple way of proving this is to eat extremely healthy for two weeks - lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds. Record how good you feel and any problems with your digestive system.

Then sit down for a weekend and eat processed food. Compare the results.

There's no comparison between processed and whole foods. The OP is lazy with her diet. Sticking a pipe up your ar5e will alleviate the problem in the short term but that's all. There's no substitution for a good diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks folks, esp to g'em and how strange who speak the sense I need to hear...stop eating (excuse the term) sh**e and watch what I eat...I guess I just always always crave sweets and nice things so thought taking a drastic step might 'cure' me! my skin has gone inot bad shape the past two weeks which got me thinking about it..don't think I actually could do it but Still interested tho to hear from anyone who has had it done..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My niece had irrigation and the woman told her that melted cheese was the worst. It hardens like concrete.

Im in trouble too then if thats true:eek:

Advertisement