Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Traffic Layout in Renmore ??

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

There are signs in Renmore notifying of a traffic change in Renmore.

Does anyone know what the plans are?

As a long suffering resident of Renmore who is sick to the teeth of inconsiderate speeding rat-run **** :mad:, anything that eases the problem is welcome.

Can't find anything on the councils site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

All I heard is that its going to be a 1 way system they are implementing. Not sure If I like the sound of it

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Dont think a one way will make any differance most morns its already a one way. I work nights and if i'm late leaving work by even a few mins can take up to 45mins extra to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I can understand that people are sick of the rat run and that something needs to be done, but if as expected with this useless council if it is going to curb this rat run then they needed to have put in place another viable alternative by improving the main road to accommodate the traffic. They also need to put pedestrian footbridges over the road so that there is no need for a 'lollipop' lady which just exacerbates the problem at peak traffic in the morning.

It will impact the residents as well as the commuters if they do restrict the roads in that area as the main road will just become one long long carpark.

Oh and on the subject of useless council, maybe I am just being blind but these sort of changes made by the council (both city and county), road alterations etc are they anywhere on their websites!! Everyone else has their tiniest planning permission put up on the council planning site, yet major council works that will affect large numbers of people cant be found for love nor money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

I've heard that bollards are going to be erected at the side of Molloys Shop to stop anyone driving down onto Renmore Park and thus to the Dublin Road.Seemingly agreement has been reached with all residents in that area as some will now have to drive out onto the Dublin Road and then right if they want to get to Duggans etc.I think that ,while it will certainly make life better for the residents there,it will worsen the traffic queue on the Dublin Road and no doubt more smartarses will cut through the Bons and and try to bully their way across into the queue at Duggans lights.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Lilibet wrote: »
    I've heard that bollards are going to be erected at the side of Molloys Shop to stop anyone driving down onto Renmore Park and thus to the Dublin Road.

This would be great... it would be a little more awkward for me getting home if I'm coming from the GMIT side but overall this would improve the area. How some kid hasn't been killed at date is a miracle.
    Seemingly agreement has been reached with all residents in that area as some will now have to drive out onto the Dublin Road and then right if they want to get to Duggans etc.

This will happen me - but worth it.
    I think that ,while it will certainly make life better for the residents there,it will worsen the traffic queue on the Dublin Road and no doubt more smartarses will cut through the Bons and and try to bully their way across into the queue at Duggans lights.:mad:

The rat run past the rat run is great alright!

Was down in Ennis last week... compared to Galway's roads they have Autobann's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Well its been in operation for 3 days now.
    To turn Renmore into a "one way system", they put up a little barricade here. In the last 2 days ive already seen people driving both ways on that road, granted some of them are unfamiliar with the change and blind to the signs about it on the way in. I heard there was a garda there for a while today though.

Is there something stopping people from driving both ways at Duggans corner? I didnt notice anything. I thought the point of this was to stop people using renmore as a shortcut to bypass the Dublin road traffic in the evening. Have I missed something? because quite frankly it seems like one of the most stupid things ive seen this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Krieg wrote: »
    I heard there was a garda there for a while today though.
    I believe they were looking for an individual in the area in connection with some ursine molestation matters in the church grouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think it's a daft solution to the Dublin Road traffic problem, cut off one of the only relief roads for it! I travel that road to and from work but I'm usually after the main gridlock hours so I haven't noticed much of a difference. Does anyone know what the traffic is like between 4:30-6:30 now?
    Thanks to Krieg for posted that map. I actually wasn't 100 % sure where the one way system was being implemented :).

pencil wrote: »
    How some kid hasn't been killed at date is a miracle.

I have only used that rat run on occasion and the traffic has always been slow to crawling so not sure what you mean about it being dangerous.

I thought the locals complaint was that there was a constant traffic jam outside their houses at rush hour and they couldn't get cars out etc (with cynical head on here is it they couldn't get their cars out to take their kids to school which is the main problem for traffic in the mornings in galway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Was down in Ennis last week... compared to Galway's roads they have Autobann's!!

Ennis' proximity to Shannon Airport is the reason for that in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Krieg wrote: »
    they put up a little barricade here. In the last 2 days
    OMG, there's a bear loose at Renmore Ave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

malice_ wrote: »
    I think it's a daft solution to the Dublin Road traffic problem, cut off one of the only relief roads for it! .

This attitude and the resulting actions taken by people who act on it are the problem!

The roads through Renmore are NOT 'relief roads'. Renmore is a residential area, it was designed as a residential area and hundreds of people use it as such.

It is unfortunate if you are affected by Galways chronic traffic problems but the residents of Renmore should not have to suffer its effects. If your looking to point the finger you can start with Frank Fahy TD.

By taking the rat run through Renmore you are effecting the lives of Renmore residents, you are adding to the distance you have to travel and doing nothing but 'skipping the cue' to those who don't rat run.

Do you know that the rat run got so bad that......some people were using the Hospital as a rat-run past the rat-run. The hospital was log jammed with rat-runners, hospital traffic couldn't move, they had to put in security to stop people doing this. When they first put in the security to stop this, the poor guy was abused by numerous rat-runners. This is the type of a--holes, who only care for themselves that the people of Renmore have had to put up with for years. They people are the ones that put every kid in Renmore in danger.
    webbs wrote:
    I have only used that rat run on occasion and the traffic has always been slow to crawling so not sure what you mean about it being dangerous.

At 9am it is log jammed and crawling. Its the times around peak rush hour that the speeding is done. Every few minutes some 'hero' :mad: flies through here while trying to shave 2.5 minutes off his trip to work having woke late.

Well done to the council for putting this change in place!

It is unfortunate if you are affected by Galways chronic traffic problems but the residents of Renmore should not have to suffer its effects. If your looking to point the finger you can start with Frank Fahy TD.

By taking the rat run through Renmore you are effecting the lives of Renmore residents, you are adding to the distance you have to travel and doing nothing but 'skipping the cue' to those who don't rat run.

Well done to the council for putting this change in place!

While I have every sympathy and agree that any rat run through a residential area should be alleviated it is the fact that there is no attempt to put in place any alternative to the poor traffic management on the dublin road that is frustrating.
    Surely simple things like a pedestrian overwalkway instead of a 'lollipop' lady holding up traffic at rush hour and the pedestrian lights at the junction can be got rid of.
    And why cant the road be widened to a three lane road with 2 lanes being open going into Galway in the morning and changed to two coming out of town in the evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Webbs wrote: »
    And why cant the road be widened to a three lane road with 2 lanes being open going into Galway in the morning and changed to two coming out of town in the evening!!

A come on Webbs you should know better - that would require some 'joined-up-thinking' from the powers that be :eek: This simple (interm) solution could really make a difference to commuters lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The new one way system will just shove the problem down to Lakeshore Drive as the traffic will be able to go through Renmore Park from Lakeshore Drive and onto the Dublin Road.

Not a good solution at all. It will just clog up Lakeshore (which was starting to happen anyway as the road down Molloy's hill was backing up to Renmore Road so people drove down Lakeshore and up Woodlands to avoid this), thus moving the problem instead of solving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Webbs wrote: »

To start with there is not really enough room to make any more lanes, unless youu get rid of the bus lane. You would also have to make it all the way into town or all that would happen is move the problem up the road where it joins back into one road.

dcukhunter wrote: »
    To start with there is not really enough room to make any more lanes, unless youu get rid of the bus lane. You would also have to make it all the way into town or all that would happen is move the problem up the road where it joins back into one road.

I reckon that you could get land all the way from the roundabout at GMIT to the Eye cinema where the lanes become 2 anyway without needing to take away the bus lane.
    In the UK where this system is used, quite often the lanes are narrow (similar to when you have contraflow on a motorway), if pedestrian overpasses are included in the plan along the length of the road then you can have footpaths only on one side where space is more limited.
    Of course this wouldn't alleviate the problem completely but it may at least help considerably

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Reminds me of Padhraic McCormack's call for a flyover from Sean Mulvoy Road to Quinncentenary Bridge to bypass the Headford Road roundabout about 8 years ago.

More bus lanes are needed. If you build more roads, more cars will fill them!

This attitude and the resulting actions taken by people who act on it are the problem!

The roads through Renmore are NOT 'relief roads'. Renmore is a residential area, it was designed as a residential area and hundreds of people use it as such.
    Okay, maybe calling it a relief road was at odds with it's original purpose but that's what it became. Maybe I should have called it a public road because that's what it is.
    pencil wrote:
    I agree with that so why are you pointing the finger at motorists?
    pencil wrote:
    If you live in a house that fronts onto a public road, you shouldn't be surprised when cars drive down it. While you may be adding to the distance to travel by taking the alternative route, you are cutting down your journey time because you aren't sitting in the queue. That's far from doing nothing!
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Reminds me of Padhraic McCormack's call for a flyover from Sean Mulvoy Road to Quinncentenary Bridge to bypass the Headford Road roundabout about 8 years ago.

Building more bus lanes will just highlight the utterly pathetic bus service that we have as they sit empty. I suppose the taxis will have an easier time travelling around though :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ya, lets keep the ancient by-roads and death-traps we have instead of building modern, safe roads. Good one

If Roads are improved then bus corridors can be incorporated into a scheme - in an ideal situation (with a government and council that thinks further than the next election) I would love it if I could get public transport to work (I have always done so until I moved to Galway).

Also we aren't just talking about Galway city here, there needs to be at the very least:

A rush hour commuter bus service with frequency of 20mins or less between
    buses from the likes of Headford, Moycullen, Athenry, Oranmore etc.

A bus service that actually gets you from East to West of the city without changing and stops at places where people work.

ONLY then with that level of service can you say a bus corridor is worth it.

This isn't really to do with Renmore but how about buses that actually go over the Quincentennial bridge?

Advertisement