Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative answer single common theme

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

The texts im doing are huck finn and philadelphia here i come and im working on a sample answer.I know you have to deal with a different characteristic of the genre in each paragraph but Im having trouble picking characterisitics.Any advice?

This is what I have done so far if anyone could point out where i should go after this it would be great

The two texts I have studied as part of my Leaving Certificate Comparative course are one of the first Great American Novels “The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn” (TAHF) and the highly original play “Philadelphia Here I Come” (Philadelphia) by Brian Friel. The central message presented to the reader in both of these texts is the theme of isolation. By studying these texts I have gained a deeper understanding of the theme of isolation and the effects it can have on the protagonist of a text.

In the openings of both Philadelphia and TAHF isolation plays a major part in deciding the mentality of the primary characters and on their desire to leave for better places . In Philadelphia The protagonist Gareth O`Donnell experiences a deep desire to leave for America. In the opening of the play he rushes around the stage singing “Philadelphia here I come, right back where I started from”. He grabs hold of Madge the housekeeper and they begin to dance around the stage. This fake happiness is fuelled by his uncommunicative father S.B O`Donnell, his failed relationship with Katie Doogan and all the “strong silent men” in his native birthplace Ballybeg (meaning small town in Irish). Similarly in TAHF the principle character Huck longs to be rid of the Widow Douglas and Miss Watson. The Widow frequently bemoans her failure to reform Huck. He particularly cringes at the fact that he has to “grumble” (i.e., pray) over the food before every meal. Huck feels especially restless because the Widow and Miss Watson constantly attempt to improve his behaviour. He feels so isolated he escapes out the window in the middle of night to meet the energetic and shrewd Tom Sawyer. From then on Huck chooses his path in life. In sharp contrast, Gar spends the entire play going over all the significant events that have influenced his loneliness and wondering will he depart for Philadelphia to be rid of his isolation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

that's pretty good
    but are u higher or ordinary?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭armbruster

I'm also doing Philadelphia - and I don't think the theme of isolation really suits it that well - we're doing the theme of escape - why he must escape etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

5th year higher level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

-What has desire to leave home got to do with isolation? You don't explain this at all.
    -What relevance have sentences like "He grabs hold of Madge the housekeeper and they begin to dance around the stage." have to do with isolation? Don't fall into the trap of padding your essay with irrelevant points of the story and summarisation.
    -I felt, "From then on Huck chooses his path in life. In sharp contrast, Gar spends the entire play going over all the significant events that have influenced his loneliness and wondering will he depart for Philadelphia to be rid of his isolation." was a bit of an abrupt change of direction. Don't go off on tangents. Perhaps start a new paragraph with this contrast, link it to what you were talking about before, and introduce a new point in your answer, which you can develop, rather than such a blunt statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

i wouldn't talk about the openings for the theme, especially at the beginning of the answer, because it looks as though you're summarising the answer - I'm not saying you are, it just appears that way and it takes away from the comparing. I would write four paragraphs, on the following:

whether the theme is defined similarly or differently in each text
    is the theme approached by the author in a humorous or tragic manner
    how key moments offer an interesting perspective on the theme
    how significant characters contribute to the theme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

were doing father son reltionships with wuthering heights and my left foot..a 3rd text i think helps

Advertisement