Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 4007 question

Options
  • 01-05-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A friend is interested in buying a new 4007. Looks like it is only available here with the 2.2 diesel engine. That's fine. But it looks like automatic transmission is not an option?

I had a quick look on peugeot.ie and couldn't find it. Anyone know more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thread moved to the appropriate forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The prospective owner will never go off-road and will only use it in 2WD mode. Surely you don't want those folks in the off-road forum? They'd be afraid of all those rough army types etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

But if the prospective owner gets harrassed for driving an SUV, they could always *pretend* that they need four wheel drive and seek refuge over in the "dirty" forum :D

and to answer your question: ...haven't the foggiest ....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did your friend check the Citroen C Crosser? The 4007 and C Crosser are the same vehicle, both based on the Mitsubishi Outlander.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did your friend check the Citroen C Crosser? The 4007 and C Crosser are the same vehicle, both based on the Mitsubishi Outlander.

Good point, bazz. I thought they just shared platform, but indeed they are pretty much the same car. All seem to be only available in diesel (2.2HDI for Peugeot and Citroen) and the less powerful 2.0 diesel in the Mitsubishi. Just checked the Irish websites for Mitsubishi and Citroen and I can't find auto transmission as an option there either...

I know that in other countries (like the UK and on the continent) an auto (CVT) box is available for the 2.4l petrol in all three of them (dunno who makes the engine)

A 2.4l petrol would not be an option of choice for my friend BTW, if that was the only auto she could get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »
    I know that in other countries (like the UK and on the continent) an auto (CVT) box is available for the 2.4l petrol in all three of them (dunno who makes the engine)

A 2.4l petrol would not be an option of choice for my friend BTW, if that was the only auto she could get
    It's a Mitsubishi engine,and I don't think we'll have to worry it about it here now that we're taxing cars on alleged emissions(since the World in spite of all the CO2 we're "polluting" has actually had a decrease in temperature in the past 2 years);).

Subaru have a new Forester arriving soon and it will have a boxer diesel engine, I'm sure it will be available with an auto box. No knowledge of the ETA on it though.

Alternatively Hyundai have the Santa Fe available in 2.2 CRDi with an auto box. Pretty well speced but pricey at a shade over €47k new pre July.

Subaru have a new Forester arriving soon and it will have a boxer diesel engine, I'm sure it will be available with an auto box.

I don't think there will be an auto box on the boxer diesel Forester. There isn't any on the Legacy! And the reviews I've read on the Subaru boxer diesel engine were not very good either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A friend is interested in buying a new 4007. Looks like it is only available here with the 2.2 diesel engine. That's fine. But it looks like automatic transmission is not an option?

I had a quick look on peugeot.ie and couldn't find it. Anyone know more?

I had a similar query last month - looking for an Auto Outlander. Not available at the moment, but my Mitsubishi dealer said there is one on it's way towards the end of the year.

Ended up putting the driver in to a Sante Fe Deluxe. IMHO better value than the Outlander/4007/C-Crosser.

R.O.R wrote: »
    looking for an Auto Outlander. Not available at the moment, but my Mitsubishi dealer said there is one on it's way towards the end of the year

Coupled to the diesel or the 2.4 petrol, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Coupled to the diesel or the 2.4 petrol, do you know?

Sorry - Coupled to the 2.0 diesel. It is the VW engine underneath so no reason why it couldn't be coupled with a Mitsubishi branded DSG version if VW will allow.

Cheers. I wonder will Citroen / Peugeot offer a diesel auto too at some point. I'll tell her to ring a dealer

Mitsubishi will be adding the PSA 2.2 twin turbo diesel to the Outlander line up too.

Any review I read of the Subaru Boxer diesel was a glowing one. Apparently it's extremely quiet in operation as well. I heard the engine on YouTube, sounds a little different to your standard 4 pot diesel, though nowhere near as different as one of their 4 pot Boxer petrols sounds compared a standard 4 pot petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Alternatively Hyundai have the Santa Fe available in 2.2 CRDi with an auto box. Pretty well speced but pricey at a shade over €47k new pre July.

That's one impressive machine!! Brilliant auto box.

E92 wrote: »
    Any review I read of the Subaru Boxer diesel was a glowing one

Really? Any linkies? The main drawbacks I remember were the lack of poke (torque) at low revs that pretty much all other modern diesels do have and the excessive fuel consumption again compared to its peers. Either one would condemn the engine to failure status tbh...

Really? Any linkies? The main drawbacks I remember were the lack of poke (torque) at low revs that pretty much all other modern diesels do have and the excessive fuel consumption again compared to its peers. Either one would condemn the engine to failure status tbh...

Autocar seem pretty impressed with it in the Legacy:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Subaru-Legacy-2.0TD-RE/231807/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda are said to be adding a diesel 2.2 diesel option to the gorgeous CX-7 soon
    5OD-4.JPG

Autocar seem pretty impressed with it in the Legacy:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Subaru-Legacy-2.0TD-RE/231807/

That's a pretty good review. But imho, Subaru, like most Japanese manufacturers, is stubbornly ignorant or to put it mildly: they have no idea about the European car market, offering only a 5 speed manual (so 80s) and no automatic option at all

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Mazda are said to be adding a diesel 2.2 diesel option to the gorgeous CX-7 soon
    5OD-4.JPG

Gorgeous? :eek:

Most buses are hideous and that yoke is on the ugly end of the hideous range. Strictly imho though :)

That's a pretty good review. But imho, Subaru, like most Japanese manufacturers, is stubbornly ignorant or to put it mildly: they have no idea about the European car market, offering only a 5 speed manual (so 80s) and no automatic option at all

I see bazz26 stole the linky I was going to post this morning! I don't get the big deal about "only" being a 5 speed manual, Citroen's recently launched C5 has a 1.6 diesel with 5 rather than 6 gears too and I don't hear people kicking up about it.

I'm beginning to wonder is having 6 gears akin to people saying "my car is newer than yours"? Why does there have to be 6 gears in a car? Admittedly when I drove a D-4D Avensis recently I was glad of the extra gear over the 5 speed petrols I'm used to driving(but that was more to do with the fact that the diesel has a much narrower powerband than a petrol and so it needs the extra gear to help keep it within it's powerband(and they tell me that the Avensis is quite petrol like in terms of it's power delivery, well I dread the thought of driving a diesel with a properly diesel like power delivery in that case), while petrols with their lovely reasonably linear power delivery mean that changing up isn't quite the exact science it is with a diesel), but if a diesel has a reasonably petrol like power delivery, then is there any need for 6 gears other than for marketing purposes?

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews of the new boxer diesel engine. Some reviewers claiming its the best diesel engine they have ever experienced

I'd love to hear what you heard. Links please!

And what about a diesel auto? Toyota could have scooped up the whole continental taxi market by now (because of the MB quality hickup combined with their sh!te CS) had they come up with an auto Avensis diesel in time. They didn't nearly a decade ago and I'm not sure if they've finally seen the light now. Is there a diesel auto option on a new Avensis? If not, WTF not? :confused:

Here's a pretty bad review(5 speed manual, no auto available). Mind, any review by Jeremy Clarkson should be taken with a very large pinch of salt :)

Gorgeous? :eek:

Most buses are hideous and that yoke is on the ugly end of the hideous range. Strictly imho though :)

It looks (and sounds!) great in the flesh

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It looks (and sounds!) great in the flesh

A 2.2 diesel sounding well? In a car that's looking hideous? Just as well senses are subjective then :)

You are the man in the know about the availability of any diesel engine with an auto box in any Toyota now or in the near future here or in other EU countries. Inform us!

A 2.2 diesel sounding well? In a car that's looking hideous? Just as well senses are subjective then :)

You are the man in the know about the availability of any diesel engine with an auto box in any Toyota now or in the near future here or in other EU countries. Inform us!

The 2.3 turbo petrol sounds great! the diesel is only in the pipeline at the moment!

As for Toyota diesel autos.... eh no.
    Auris 1.4 D-4D MM and the Land Cruiser is all ye're getting!

Although the next Avensis is rumoured to have some interesting configurations including 4 wheel drive and a hybrid. If the Hybrid is a diesel then it'll be automatic.

Thanks for the info, Colm

Have you any idea (or guess) why Toyota won't do an Avensis auto diesel?

Thanks for the info, Colm

Have you any idea (or guess) why Toyota won't do an Avensis auto diesel?

None of the Jap diesels come with autos in Europe afaik. Yet you can get diesel JDM cars with auto boxes. Though the new Honda Accord diesel will be available with an auto from launch. Maybe this will set a trend.

And what about a diesel auto? Toyota could have scooped up the whole continental taxi market by now (because of the MB quality hickup combined with their sh!te CS) had they come up with an auto Avensis diesel in time. They didn't nearly a decade ago and I'm not sure if they've finally seen the light now. Is there a diesel auto option on a new Avensis? If not, WTF not? :confused:
    On this I absolutely agree with you. Japan is yet again late to the party, as they were with common rail diesels(bar Toyota who were the first by a mile with one), and just about everything car related really. Even their pet project, the hybrid is going up in smoke as Toyota are going to be using the V8 diesel found in today's Land Cruiser V8 for the American market for the large SUVs and pick up trucks they sell over there. Honda ditched the V6 Accord hybrid for the US in favour of a diesel, and now they are going developing a 2.5 V6 diesel for the larger Hondas/Acuras that they sell over there that we don't get over here, while even Subaru are getting ideas of selling their Boxer diesel in the US too if demand warrants it(Subarus are very popular cars in the US relatively speaking at any rate).

Makes you wonder why the Europeans are so busy developing hybrids. BMW thinks that the X6 Active Hybrid will improve fuel consumption by just 20% over their EfficientDynamics system.

Truth is there are far cheaper methods of cutting fuel consumption that deliver most of the benefits of hybrids but none of the many drawbacks. BMW EfficentDynamics gives 70% of the fuel consumption improvement that a hybrid does but only at a fraction of the cost and none of the environmental impact that results from bringing batteries halfway around the world as Toyota do with thier Prius. Audi's e models, Merc's BlueEfficiency, Ford's ECOnetic etc also are simple and effective ways of reducing emissions at a very small cost and again, they're not hybrids either.

If you have a real urge to cut your carbon footprint then buy a diesel.

If you want good healthy air and don't want to be helping to stretch our health services even more than they already are by all the fumes causing cancer that you'll be producing by driving a diesel then you stick with petrol.

If you believe in the power of being seen to be doing something and you think pollution is only caused when driving and that the manufacture of cars doesn't count as pollution at all then you'll buy a hybrid, but really if you're that bothered by carbon bullcrap and all that then what are you doing driving in the first place?

E92 wrote: »
    If you believe in the power of being seen to be doing something and you think pollution is only caused when driving and that the manufacture of cars doesn't count as pollution at all then you'll buy a hybrid

Somehow you seem to give the perfect description of our current minister for the environment :)

He's either a bit thick, like you post, or he doesn't have the balls to make a real green difference in the face of his big brother government party

Either way, shame on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement