Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowhere else id rather be!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I blame it on the cryptos beridium.We have'nt been the same since.

P.S As a Barna native I think its only right that I warn people not to swim in Freeport because they dump sewage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm mainly gonna have the new racing boat out the bay this summer - i'll be going too fast/flying too high out of the water to take pics :D

If we could get rid of the hippies and the Yuppies it would be one of the nicest places on Earth!...oh well maybe they'll all be wiped out in a horrible speed boat accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I spent the day windsurfing, tearing across Rusheen Bay. Days like today in Galway are sheer bliss and remind me why I stuck with the place through the long, cold, wet, shítty grey winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I wish I could've spent the day in the sun today! But having my final exams in a few days means i'm stuck inside with you lot! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Typical Galway exam weather pffft!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

nice job on the pics guys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Spanish Arch, taken this morning:
    IMG_0157_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Steyr wrote: »
    So as i left swimming tonight at 7pm i looked out west along Galway Bay and admired the view and thought to myself when the sun shines in Galway there really is nowhere else id rather be! Am i right my fellow Galwegians and Galwegian wannabe's!:)

Galway actually gets good weather? :confused:

Ive been four odd times, the weather each and every time was horrific (and one of those times was a college mystery tour, the weather was grand til we hit the wesht). In short Id sooner be dead than live in Galway, it is by far the most depressing place Ive ever been to and I wouldnt go back if I was paid. The only thing it has going for it is a high proportion of good looking birds.

No offence like... [/rant]
    Half my friends are always ranting about how desperate they are to leave this '****hole'.

tbh Galway is the only place Ive encountered where everyone from there that Ive talked to absoloutely loves the place. Most people seem to hate their locality (Athlone for example. Its a kip passing thru it on the train but jesus, speak to anyone actually from Athlone and they all wish someone would nuke the place, they despise it!). But Galwegians love Galway for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cornbb wrote: »
    The Spanish Arch, taken this morning:
    Looking good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

shane86 wrote: »

Ive been four odd times, the weather each and every time was horrific (and one of those times was a college mystery tour, the weather was grand til we hit the wesht). In short Id sooner be dead than live in Galway, it is by far the most depressing place Ive ever been to and I wouldnt go back if I was paid. The only thing it has going for it is a high proportion of good looking birds.

I would tend to disagree with you! If I'm honest, I didn't really think much of Galway before I moved here. I'm a Cork girl at heart, always will be. But I've been here now about 7 months and I absolutely love the place.

Before I moved to Galway, I was told that I had not experienced rain like you'd get in Galway, but I've actually found that the weather is a lot better than people make out. Yes, when it rains IT RAINS! But other than that the weather is on par with other parts of the country. I've walked everywhere since I moved here and I think I must have been caught in rain that actually soaked me to the skin about 3 times at most.

You've been in Galway 4 times and found it depressing. Fair enough. I probably feel the same about Dublin, having been there only about 12 times in my life, so I wont say you are wrong in your opinion. I just disagree. I've been here 7 months and have found that the people are lovely, the atmosphere in the city is great, and there are some great pubs. The prom is lovely, even on a horrible day.

There are things about Galway that annoy me no end, like not being able to buy certain things that are easily available in Cork. But these are just minor things. I'll be sad to leave Galway at the end of this month, and I'll definitely be back to visit.

And as for the high proportion of good looking 'birds', I'll accept that compliment on behalf of the women of Galway...except for the ugly ones! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

shane86 wrote: »

tbh Galway is the only place Ive encountered where everyone from there that Ive talked to absoloutely loves the place. Most people seem to hate their locality (Athlone for example. Its a kip passing thru it on the train but jesus, speak to anyone actually from Athlone and they all wish someone would nuke the place, they despise it!). But Galwegians love Galway for some reason :confused:

So why exactly are you lurking around the Galway forum then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Crikey, i'm scalded! My face is completely sun burned - had a lovely day on the Corrib - I love this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've lived in four different countrys and travelled extensively.

Now I've settled in Galway, there really isn't anywhere else I'd rather be.

Take it from me folks, you've got a jewel of a city here (especially if the public transport picks up)

I was literally describing exactly to my dad this morning exactly what Steyr said.

Sitting in the Arabica in Salthill with a nice drink in front of me watching the waves.

Or walking along the line on a Thursday night with my pals round and watching the lights twinkle all around the bay.
    One of the most relaxing places I have ever been had to have been the Pier down in Barna.

I would walk down there when it was dark and sit near the water. Sometimes the stars would be out glittering in the sky, like a million diamonds and the moon would reflect against the water. The waves washing against the rocks would overpower the sound of traffic in the distance. I would sit there for hours sometimes just staring out at the stars.

Yes, I live right next to Barna and it's a hobby of mine to walk to Barna peir from the woods.
    Every time a friend comes round we ALWAYS end up in the woods.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Oh God, I wont miss the traffic!

On a dry day I love walking in Galway. You get to see all the characters!

They come out on wet days too.
    KD runs even better when it's raining.

And Nora wears her hood up on wet days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Went for a spin today... here's a couple of piccies to show the world that galway does get sun every so often...

8781558FACF54BA291BE2E3BDC88BA28-500.jpg

--

F65AE3F32BD8408289E6033E24B597C0-500.jpg

More here

And a sunset over the Aran Islands from ages ago...

E8110D0780954EF4A063C83C58CF0546-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Gorgeous pics lads!
    Spanish Arch was hopping today :)
    I declined the decadence but had a lovely walk on the prom.

Magical day..
    When Galway is in good form, there is nowhere finer for the heart.

Bórd Fáilte over and out ;)

Advertisement