Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics mandatory experiments write-up

Options
  • 01-05-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I haven't got too many of those mandatory experiments written up.

Is this really a problem? Our teacher told us that without it, we will fail, but he tends to exaggerate things like this quite a bit.

Anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I heard it was a case that the department do spot checks to see if you've got them done, but I imagine if you didn't it wouldn't mean a fail.. Also I'm guessing if they haven't spot checked by now, they're not going to.
    Your teacher may have just been trying to get you to learn the mandatory experiments, due to their importance on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Cost Boy!!

The department can send out an inspector to any seconday school to do spot checks on your physics report copy if it doesn't meet their standards they can stop you from sitting the exam in june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^What he said.

Chances are low, however, writing up the labs is a good way to learn them.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    ^What he said.
    I'm a girl sorry not a boy!

Then why are you called "Cost Boy"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Are you using the Physics Experiment Book? All they require is the answers and sometimes charts.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

lol what??

Ive never heard of that and I went 3 years never having written the damn thing :D

mind you my mark in physics wasnt anything to dance about

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

yeah those experiment copies that you can buy are really a faux amie.
    You only jot down a few figures and the odd graph but really writing them out by hand is much better.

I used it all last year and it was crap! I didnt know anything! now i write them up and they stick with you i think...

Thing with the experiments is we have very few done because the manufacturing companies have messed about sending us vital equipment.. the new school has hardly any experiment stuff so we're all screwed. If the department ever checked us out i wonder what would happen.. since it's not our fault.oooh interesting.

favourite experiment = sonometer. awesome. We made chords with the tuning forks. how exciting!

Then why are you called "Cost Boy"?
    You would understand if you knew me.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Cost Boy!! wrote: »
    You would understand if you knew me.
    she must look like a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I have three experiments written up.

You'll know in like 2 weeks in advance if they're coming, so it's really too late. There was a biology one in our school just after the mocks....thank god I don't do biology. Some of my friends stayed up all night getting their experiments written up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mark200 wrote: »
    ...You'll know in like 2 weeks in advance if they're coming, so it's really too late...

Don't bank on it.

I got 4 days notice!!! Principal told me on a Monday that the inspector was arriving on the Friday. Fortunately I always insisted that the write-ups were done the night of the experiment while it was still fresh in the students mind.

So with one or two exceptions (the habitual nonschool-attenders), it went ok.

Ok, and its not just a quick cursory look either - they read them in detail. He was able to advise on experiment methods, etc after seeing them.

They are within their power to stop you sitting the physics exam if you don't produce a written account of the experiments. But they'll often give you a chance to catch up (might be two weeks). I'm aware of a story of a school where the class not alone didn't write them up, but took a chance and didn't even do them. He arrived before Easter that year and the class ended up in the school for most of the 2-week Easter break trying to catch up.

So, all I'll say is, take the chance if you want to, but if you get caught, well.......:(

Peleus wrote: »
    she must look like a man
    Oh so you know me then do you?!

Nah, see he said "she must look like a man", obviously implying that he hasn't seen you and doesn't know first hand that you look like a man, however, assumes you do with extreme certainty because he has analysed the second hand evidence.

It's only my user name get over yourselves.

Now now, time spent getting annoyed because some people are trying to wind you up on the internets could be better spent studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Now now, time spent getting annoyed because some people are trying to wind you up on the internets could be better spent studying.

Yeah exactly so what are you doin then replying:rolleyes:

I've done my study for today but thanks for your concern. If you had of read the title you would have realised it wasn't about my 'user name' it was some one asking about physics.

Badabing wrote: »
    Yeah exactly so what are you doin then replying:rolleyes:
    I did my LC last year, I come on here to give advice and to mock. :pac:
    Cost Boy! wrote:
    I've done my study for today but thanks for your concern. If you had of read the title you would have realised it wasn't about my 'user name' it was some one asking about physics.
    The question was answered, and your post was the first off topic one.

I did my LC last year, I come on here to give advice and to mock. :pac:

The question was answered, and your post was the first off topic one.

wow guys, stop arguing, you'll get this thread locked. and if you're getting this angry cost-boy, you must really look like a man :P

Back on topic, I hear they come in and only check one or maybe two notebooks and if they're to an okay standard they have a cup of tea and leave. I never heard of them checking every copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...Back on topic, I hear they come in and only check one or maybe two notebooks and if they're to an okay standard they have a cup of tea and leave. I never heard of them checking every copy.

He took all 23 of the copies and spent around an hour in a room on his own with them. And he definitely went through them because he was able to comment on various issues with some of the copies - experimental method, results, etc.

If you are all so hung up over my user name it is because of what my friend calls my boyfriend not because 'I look like a man'.

And on the topic of the physics report copies they take all of them for inspection not just one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Didn't write up at all for Physics or Biology..took the chance. Teacher in physics never even mentioned it.

Your teacher must be some soft, after every experiment we did, we had to write it up that day with all the calculations and graphs for most of them and we would have to hand them in the next day for correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Your teacher must be some soft, after every experiment we did, we had to write it up that day with all the calculations and graphs for most of them and we would have to hand them in the next day for correction.

Still got me an A1 ;)

If you are all so hung up over my user name it is because of what my friend calls my boyfriend not because 'I look like a man'.

lol

lol
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

lol
    +1

I would like to add a rofl to the mix also.

Advertisement