Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be entitled to compensation?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone could shed some light on this situation for me! :)

Basically I have to leave the house I'm living in at the moment. A section of the ceiling (the bottom half of the room basically) of the bedroom fell in a couple of months ago due to water damage. It's a flat roof and it hadn't been waterproofed. Told the landlord about it first thing the following morning (Happened at about 3am) and moved into the second bedroom. He called up and checked the damage etc. It's been left like that since.

Now I've had neighbours move into the apartment upstairs and the vibrations from their washing machine have caused my kitchen ceiling to start coming in. Again I called the landlord straight away and he called up. Said he'd have it sorted by today. He called up last night with a little box of plaster and got quite snappish when I told him that wasn't gonna fix it. So I let him get up and have a good look and he came to the conclusion that it was going to need a nail to hold it in place. So he came back again today with his hammer and nails and went to work. I went out 10 minutes later and there was a big hole in the ceiling.

He's told me now that I'll have to move because the house needs to be gutted and redone. (He's moving the neighbours in the apartment upstairs too). This is fair enough. The house is in a bad way (obviously) so I'll be happy to move into the new house which I've had a look at already and can see it's in a lot better condition.

The only thing that's getting me now is this is the second time I've moved for him for reasons which are no fault of mine. I moved about 9 months ago because he had moved in people over me who were absolute torture. They didn't speak english and were constantly trying to come into my apartment. If I'm in the house I'm not going to lock myself into every room but eventually I did have to do that just to keep them out. When I told him about the hassle I was having he warned them 3 times and then moved ME to a new house. I didn't mind at the time and I just paid all the costs of moving my broadband and sky etc etc over. I was relieved to get out of there to be honest! But I don't want to end up paying all over again this time (And to be honest I just can't afford it). Would I be entitled to compensation from him and how do I go about getting that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

:rolleyes:

Compensation for what exactly?

To be honest, he sounds like an all right landlord if he's taking your complaints seriously and moving you to another place while it gets sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Sounds like a total nightmare of a landlord to me and that he's leaving his properties fall into total disrepair. There are certain standards which must be met by landlords when renting properties.

As for compensation, no clue, but can you not just move out of this situation altogether and find somewhere else, not all landlords are like this muppet you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

K_P wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Compensation for what exactly?

To be honest, he sounds like an all right landlord if he's taking your complaints seriously and moving you to another place while it gets sorted out.

I'm sorry. Could you please read the OP before you go posting a reply? :rolleyes:

Compensation for the fact that this is the second time I've had to move for him when I've done nothing wrong. I basically want the moving fees paid by him this time around. (The cost for moving my sky, broadband etc etc)

I don't know how you've gotten the idea that he's an "alright" landlord from the original post. Maybe you should read it tbh.
    Sounds like a total nightmare of a landlord to me and that he's leaving his properties fall into total disrepair. There are certain standards which must be met by landlords when renting properties.

As for compensation, no clue, but can you not just move out of this situation altogether and find somewhere else, not all landlords are like this muppet you know.

I have checked up on the standards landlords need to meet to rent a property. He's breaking every rule with the place I'm in at the moment.

I've considered moving away from him altogether but most of the apartments etc in Sligo are very expensive and I have pets. Most landlords won't allow pets. Plus, the new place is good. I've had a friend check it out too, it's in good condition. My rent won't change and there's new window's and doors going into it too so that's a big plus. I'm happy enough to move. I just can't afford all the moving costs again myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

takola wrote: »
    I'm sorry. Could you please read the OP before you go posting a reply? :rolleyes:

Compensation for the fact that this is the second time I've had to move for him when I've done nothing wrong. I basically want the moving fees paid by him this time around. (The cost for moving my sky, broadband etc etc)

I don't know how you've gotten the idea that he's an "alright" landlord from the original post. Maybe you should read it tbh.

I quite obviously did read your original post. I simply find the sense of entitlement a bit rich. Your landlord hasn't exactly done anything wrong either. As for where I get the idea he's an ok landlord. All I have to go on is your post - you've had to move twice but both times he's sorted out the problems, found you alternative accommodation and this time at least, your rent isn't being increased despite being given better accommodation. That sounds decent enough to me compared to some of the cowboys I've dealt with.

But to get back to your original question - are you entitled to compensation. In short, no. But there's no harm in asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Jesus God love you - I've had some problems with landlords in the seventeen years I've been renting privately in this city but I've never had the ceiling falling in on my head! His standards of property maintenance are blatantly dangerous. He's obviously breaking every rule in the book and happy to move you before you start opening your mouth about it.

As for whether you'd be entitled to compensation, I just don’t know, but it wouldn’t do any harm to contact Threshold and ask them about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

takola wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hoping someone could shed some light on this situation for me! :)

Basically I have to leave the house I'm living in at the moment. A section of the ceiling (the bottom half of the room basically) of the bedroom fell in a couple of months ago due to water damage. It's a flat roof and it hadn't been waterproofed. Told the landlord about it first thing the following morning (Happened at about 3am) and moved into the second bedroom. He called up and checked the damage etc. It's been left like that since.
    Now I've had neighbours move into the apartment upstairs and the vibrations from their washing machine have caused my kitchen ceiling to start coming in. Again I called the landlord straight away and he called up. Said he'd have it sorted by today. He called up last night with a little box of plaster and got quite snappish when I told him that wasn't gonna fix it. So I let him get up and have a good look and he came to the conclusion that it was going to need a nail to hold it in place. So he came back again today with his hammer and nails and went to work. I went out 10 minutes later and there was a big hole in the ceiling.

He's told me now that I'll have to move because the house needs to be gutted and redone. (He's moving the neighbours in the apartment upstairs too). This is fair enough. The house is in a bad way (obviously) so I'll be happy to move into the new house which I've had a look at already and can see it's in a lot better condition.

The only thing that's getting me now is this is the second time I've moved for him for reasons which are no fault of mine. I moved about 9 months ago because he had moved in people over me who were absolute torture. They didn't speak english and were constantly trying to come into my apartment. If I'm in the house I'm not going to lock myself into every room but eventually I did have to do that just to keep them out. When I told him about the hassle I was having he warned them 3 times and then moved ME to a new house. I didn't mind at the time and I just paid all the costs of moving my broadband and sky etc etc over. I was relieved to get out of there to be honest! But I don't want to end up paying all over again this time (And to be honest I just can't afford it). Would I be entitled to compensation from him and how do I go about getting that?
    K_P wrote: »
    I quite obviously did read your original post. I simply find the sense of entitlement a bit rich. Your landlord hasn't exactly done anything wrong either. As for where I get the idea he's an ok landlord. All I have to go on is your post - you've had to move twice but both times he's sorted out the problems, found you alternative accommodation and this time at least, your rent isn't being increased despite being given better accommodation. That sounds decent enough to me compared to some of the cowboys I've dealt with.

But to get back to your original question - are you entitled to compensation. In short, no. But there's no harm in asking.

How can you say the landlord has done nothing wrong when they leave an apartment open to the elements for several months. The OP is renting a 2+ bed apartment, and paying the rent for it, yet one of the rooms has an outdoor shower:D

OP, talk to your landlord. They seem decent, if not too good on maintance, about getting money for moving. Also make sure to get replacing the windoes and doors as part of your contract, if possible, as the landlord could leave it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A compromise might be to get the rent reduced during the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

You shouldn't be out of pocket for the move. His landlord insurance should cover this. e.g. you should be compensated for new connection to SKY, broadband etc., as well as taxi/van hire to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you get any more problems, then a word with the housing department in the local council could force him to bring everything up to standard.

Advertisement