Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laps of Howth Hill for fitness?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

thanks for that sy, the only thing is now you have me worried that the long slope is too intense (i don't think it is)!
    Sorry romperstomper I assumed you were hammering up the hill in a big gear! Spinning in the granny is no problem but you should fit in a bit of variety and at least one long boring 50k! The old stamina base is very important if you want to work on your power training later. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Nice detail Raam. Are you using Polar or Garmin based software? Interested in purchasing something like that. Any advice. By the way what is the average gradient on the long and short climbs? I am not familiar with Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That software is third party- SportTracks. It's great stuff and is donation-ware (pay if/what you like.) Imports data directly from Garmin computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I use a Garmin to record, and the software is the one Blorg mentioned. Gradient...I looked at the results last night, and there is some strangeness happening. I'll try figure it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Thats pretty cool Raam, thanks for the info.

How would Howth, the second jpeg route, compare to the likes of Slieve Maan. I have yet to tackle that one and am slightly intimidated by the prospect.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    How would Howth, the second jpeg route, compare to the likes of Slieve Maan. I have yet to tackle that one and am slightly intimidated by the prospect.

A fair question. The Howth route is only steep at the start, and levels off pretty quickly. Slieve Mann is about 3.5km long and is steep at the start, but also levels off eventually. Slieve Mann is probably tougher because you will be hitting it after 90km of cycling, so you are already tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There is nothing or no-one to stop you getting off and walking or taking a rest. I took a break in the shade about half way up Slieve Maan last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭romperstomper

daymobrew wrote: »
    There is nothing or no-one to stop you getting off and walking or taking a rest. I took a break in the shade about half way up Slieve Maan last year.

cleats would stop me getting off and walking

daymobrew wrote: »

Dirk Voodoo, here's your mission, should you choose to accept it... climb Slieve Mann on the day of the Wicklow 200 without stopping to walk or taking a rest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is my lap of Howth.

Start at Sutton Cross.
    Go forward onto Greenfield Road.
    Continue onto Carrickbrack Road passing the Summit Inn.
    Continue forward onto Thormanby Road.
    Entering the village turn left and left again at the church onto Balglass Road.
    Continue forward onto Balkill Road.
    At the Summit Inn turn right onto Carrickbrack Road.
    Continue forward on Carrickbrack Road taking the second right onto Old Carrickbrack Road.
    Continue forward onto Windgate Road.
    At T-junction turn left onto Balkill road.
    Continue onto Balglass Road.
    Entering the village turn right and right again at the church.
    Continue forward on Thormanby Road turning right onto Balkill Road at the Summit Inn.
    Continue forward on Balkill Road turning left at Windgate Road.
    Continue forward onto Old Carrickbrack Road.
    At the T-junction turn right onto Carrickbrack Road.
    Continue onto Greenfield Road and return to Sutton Cross.

I used to do this quite regularly. It's about 20km and there is plenty of climbing if you live this side of the city and don't feel like the trek across town to the mountains. Balglass Road is a nice little climb but I would advise caution on the way down. I ignored my own advise and ended up on my back!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Slieve Maan by far the harder. According to Toporoute (which is crap for plotting rides, but good for checking out climbs, Howth from the village side is 2km with an average gradient of 5.4%. Slive Maan is 3.5km, with an average gradient of 7.4%.

Advertisement