Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Canadian International Driver's License

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Can I own a car here and have it insured if I have a one year Canadian International Driver's License? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm assuming you mean have it insured in Ireland?

Moving this to Motors..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 astromonkey

yes, i mean having it insured in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

it depends will you be residing outside the capital ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can I own a car here and have it insured if I have a one year Canadian International Driver's License? Thanks for any feedback.

Sorry what's a one year canadian international drivers licence?? each province in canada will issue it's own licences...

It's not clear from your post where "here" is.... i presume you mean can you drive in ireland on a canadian licence. I believe a non EU licence is only valid for 90 days in ireland... But unlike the 90 day rule in ontario, it's not really enforced here, my cousin from canada drove here on a canadian licence for a few years (she was a named driver on the policy).

yes, owning the car here in dublin. i will reside in dublin for the year but would like to own a used car to travel around ireland.

i know my international license allows me to drive a car in most european countries for a year but owning and insuring a car could be a different matter which is my concern.

thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

yes, owning the car here in dublin. i will reside in dublin for the year but would like to own a used car to travel around ireland.

i know my international license allows me to drive a car in most european countries for a year but owning and insuring a car could be a different matter which is my concern.

thanks everyone.

Ahh ok... well it is a bit different here to canada, i can only speak of ontario as that is the only province i'm familiar with... In ontario to buy a car you must have a candian licence, as the owner ship of the car is tied to your licence when you transfer the owner ship. Without a Canadian licence you can't buy a car there....

In ireland it is different, the ownership is tied to you as a person, eg you don't need any licence to buy/own a car... so you should have no problem buying a car... next hurdle will be insuring the car for a year, you could check with the likes of quinn direct (an irish insurance company www.quinn-direct.ie) if they would insure you on it with a canadian licence....

I stand corrected on my 90 day comment above, it seems to be 12 months, as stated here:-
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

This might interest you too:-
    http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Oh just buy a car and drive around, do you think the average guard has any idea of the ansewer to these questions either. I was once asked for a tacho disc( by a uniformed gardai) in a Hi ace, lmao all i could offer was a chicken burger. His colleague actually had to drag him away. He didn't appreciate my sense of humour.

thanks for the info dublindilbert and the great laugh stratos. i'll leave an anwser to my findings after contacting quinn-direct. :)

Advertisement