Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Global Warming" - not an issue - can us car enthusiasts now be left in peace?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's OK and I agree with removing cars from our cities, but first they need to provide reliable alternatives. The public transport in Dublin at rush hour is running at full capacity now. What do you think would happen if on Tuesday all the car drivers from outside the city decided to use public transport?
    Buses would run much faster, carrying twice what they normally carrry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Victor wrote: »

That's called over loading a vehicle and the Gardai will do them:D

They may run faster but we still have a limited amount of buses. They can only do so many runs and if they are all full when they start no one else can get on.

Don't forget that at the moment the buses are run for the company not the public. No orbital routes etc.

Look at the Luas, a great idea works well espically the green line. But it is getting dangerously over crowded now and they are building loads of new apartments near it. How are all these people supposed to benfit from living beside a Luas line, for which they have to pay a premium, if it is already running at full capacity and they can't increase the frequency any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Victor wrote: »

SUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRREEEEEEEE they would.:rolleyes: There would be a bus drivers strike within 2 hours over 'strenuous routes' or some ****. In your world the motorist is the enemy as I can clearly see. Yes, you say you drive but driving for you is a chore, you most likely drive a toyota corolla and have no interest in cars. Cyclists in your opinion are better then all the dirty planet destroying motorists and Gods gift to the city streets. Fact remains lowering speed limits is bull****, most of our national secondary roads and motorways could do with an increased limit.

I'm all for reducing traffic in cities though. It won't happen as long as people have no alternative to get into the city besides a car though. Cheap, reliable, safe and clean public transport is what is needed. When that is no place I think you'll find people much rather sitting on the bus for half an hour in the morning or evening then driving themselves. Thats years off however, busses are a rare sight on many of the Cork routes. There is supposed to be one going past my house every 15 minutes. Ya right!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I would be all for improved public transport on the grounds that it does not affect improvements to our roads and other car related improvements.

By that I mean I don't want our long overdue Motorways being shelved for the sake of public transport. I want to see both happen(of course money is finite, so I mean within reason).

The Western Rail Corridor is something that is completely unnecessary for example. They should spend that money on improving the road network in the Wesht as from what I'm told most of their roads are akin to the third world.

In Cork buses regularly don't run and when they do it's not always easy to get a seat on one. And that's in the day, don't bother trying to get a bus in peak traffic. BÉ locally have no interest in providing decent public transport at all. They're a joke of a company if ever there was one.

I'd gladly not drive into Cork city centre if I had better public transport. I'm wasting enormous amounts of fuel and driving into town is just about the worst thing I can do for my car and it's components. Most wear and tear on cars is from pulling off and stopping, and you are always doing that in town. Driving in traffic is fustrating at the best of times.

There needs to be more frequent buses, you need to know that if a bus turns up that you will be able to get on and preferably get a seat, but what there needs to be most of all is reliable and punctual public transport. I completely accept that buses get stuck in traffic but isn't that why there are timetables? You plan around these things based on what happens on your typical day. BÉ are not a private company. They are there for the benefit of the public, not themselves. There needs to be double decker buses which can carry more people and therefore cut down on our dependence on cars.

Most people see cars as a device for moving people from A to B. They're hardly the type of people who use cars by choice going on roads like the jam packed South Link or around any of our cities for the sake of it. They do it because it's necessary.

Of course some people can't understand that some of us like cars and have a vendetta against us car enthusiasts and want to force us to give up something we love.

E92, well said again. Whenever I see the no5 on college road in the morning or evening it is bordering on dangerously overpacked. There has not been an increase in the number of busses in cork in years. FF promised new ones during the election, and they were delivered, but to replace the old outdated ones! So no actual increase in available public transport. Good luck trying to get a bus on time, or get a seat on a Cork bus at any busy time.

The routes to the country are nearly as bad, they do run a regular service but the price is ridiculous! Why can I get to Dublin on a comfy air-coach for 7 euro, but it costs 15 to get from Cork to Skibbereen, a journey of just over 1 hour? I'll stick with my car thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Improving bus services(which also requires improved road networks) is just about the cheapest way to improve public transport but if we invest in additional buses we'll be told by the do-gooders that "we need to address the roads vs public transport funding "imbalance"":rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

E92 wrote: »
    There needs to be more frequent buses, you need to know that if a bus turns up that you will be able to get on and preferably get a seat, but what there needs to be most of all is reliable and punctual public transport. I completely accept that buses get stuck in traffic but isn't that why there are timetables?
    And bus lanes. You know, those large, mainly empty, stretches of tarmac you see all around the place.

blastman wrote: »
    And bus lanes. You know, those large, mainly empty, stretches of tarmac you see all around the place.

Bus lanes in Cork are fairly pointless considering how irregular the bus service is. I would have no issue with them generally if I was constantly seeing busses in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

peasant wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not CO2 is a problem or if global warming exists or not ...motorists will always be made pay. They have been for decades and it will only get worse.

Also, all environmental issues aside, it is ludicrous to burn up such a valuable and very finite resource as oil just for fun in our cars. As the motor industry (coupled with the oil industry) has no interest in changing that, maybe it IS necessary for governements to step in and force the issue towards alternative fuels and alternative modes of transport.

sense talking

Advertisement