Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need info on percolation tests

• 01-05-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

can anyone help me figure out how i can get my site to pass percolation test properly as i had a meeting with the planning office today and my engineer had recommended importing soil to build a seperate percolation area as our soil wasnt good enough but the planners wouldnt even take this into consideration. thay want to send out their enviromental engineers to try and find an area for us to get percolation in.
    why is the recommendation by the engineer not good enough?
    help me to understand pleassseeeeee!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The planners dont have to accept the recommendations from any engineers whether that be yours or their own but generally speaking if it can be proved that the system will work and their environmental section or the EHO's are happy with it then there is not usually a problem.

Without knowing the full facts it would appear that they have seen good reason not to accept your engineers recommendations. Probably because of the soil conditions but then again there is always the possibility that they are not happy with your engineers report or maybe even with him for that matter.

My advice is to ring the planner dealing with your application and ask straight out what the problem is. In a nice way you can ask if he/she is calling your engineer a liar - thats providing that he has proved beyond all doubt that importing soil and installing a particular type of treatment system will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

As Muffler said, try and talk to the planner or LA engineer. Another option though is that the LA are playing it safe, in some areas such as in Donegal (I have heard) the LA are really tightening up on their criteria for site suitability.
    In my experience there is no substitute for a good site (most people will try make sure the tests are done after a dry fortnight or theyll pump out the holes the morning before the test etc.) If you do pass after this then your system might not be fit for the site conditions and youll be left with a smelly garden in the summer and a stagnant swamp in the winter.
    If you have a high watertable then that would be one reason for importing the soil to effectively create a raised percolation area. Its just basically a pile of soil and it means that if the watertable is 600mm below the GL then you raise the GL by a meter to fit into the criteria.

Advertisement