Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web forms - one that doesn't use email?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody,

Redesigning a website for my cycling club. I want to insert a form, that people can fill in to register for a race, and their name will be added to a list + their personal details.

I would prefer if it wasn't emailed to me, but rather stored in a database, that I can edit/update. So "Mary Contrary" is a "senior rider". Her license number is "S1-48987". She will enter this information into a form, which will then add the information to a table/database/excel file. When she sends a cheque by post for €20, I would like to be able to (not too worried about this bit though) be able to put a tick beside her name as someone who has paid.

I would write my own application but it would be really buggy and I haven't enough time. Can anyone point me in the right direction of an application that would do the job.

Thanks,
    NevF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

nevf wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

Redesigning a website for my cycling club. I want to insert a form, that people can fill in to register for a race, and their name will be added to a list + their personal details.

I would prefer if it wasn't emailed to me, but rather stored in a database, that I can edit/update. So "Mary Contrary" is a "senior rider". Her license number is "S1-48987". She will enter this information into a form, which will then add the information to a table/database/excel file. When she sends a cheque by post for €20, I would like to be able to (not too worried about this bit though) be able to put a tick beside her name as someone who has paid.

I would write my own application but it would be really buggy and I haven't enough time. Can anyone point me in the right direction of an application that would do the job.

Thanks,
    NevF
    Don't know an application but if you kept it simple it wouldn't take much to create it with php and mysql. A front end page that adds the record and a backend page that lets you edit it and mark as paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just use a web form but where it gets to the point of actually sending the email (probably using the mail() function) - just delete that and do a mysql_connect/insert/

Then again to put together such a thing is really simple - just look up PHP mysql insert or something on google and you'll find all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

axer wrote: »
    Don't know an application but if you kept it simple it wouldn't take much to create it with php and mysql. A front end page that adds the record and a backend page that lets you edit it and mark as paid.
    Thanks for the reply axer.

I began creating my own one today. I have more time now than I originally thought I would have had, so I got down to making my own one. I have the frontend done because the original script I had, i just used the same files but now the php file that processes the information will now send the content to a database rather than emailing it.

Regards,
    Nev

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Just use a web form but where it gets to the point of actually sending the email (probably using the mail() function) - just delete that and do a mysql_connect/insert/

Then again to put together such a thing is really simple - just look up PHP mysql insert or something on google and you'll find all you need.
    Thanks Webmonkey, just saw your reply now. Thats exactly what I'm doing. Then I'm just going to have a simple mySQL query box to edit the information.

~NevF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Good stuff :)

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone will be looking for a simple, but a very effective web form, one that uses email, a good one to use might be TelePro

Just copy and paste the code into your webpage in the relevant positions...
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    Good stuff :)
    :D

Advertisement