Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

empty junctions

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

As traffic volumes got larger and larger as time went on with the celtic tiger I began to notice something. Now you obey traffic lights and think yea its a coordinated system.

Then as my frustration got worse I began to notice the amount of time I was stopped at a red light looking into an empty junction. no cars coming or going just a red light.

Why can't the lights be reactive to traffic volumes. I am sure someone will tell me they are. but the next time your stopped see for how long the junction is empty.

Though the there is less traffic now, what downturn ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stop behind the line!

Next time, look for the grid pattern on the road before the line, and stop over it. Looks like a rectangle marked out with thin tar lines. It's an induction loop which senses a large metallic object over it (your car). The lights will change. In rush hour, lights run on a timer as well, but at night, or in low traffic, they should change in your favour in a few seconds.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Behind the line over the line it makes no difference.

I have noticed these buried induction loops. They are not at many traffic lights.

My work vehicle is aluminium and won't even trigger the gates (loop) at our factory. so I don't think thats the reason.

it's just bad planning and the old noone gives a porsche.

Cool I have a sig now !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

stratos wrote: »
    Behind the line over the line it makes no difference.

I have noticed these buried induction loops. They are not at many traffic lights.

My work vehicle is aluminium and won't even trigger the gates (loop) at our factory. so I don't think thats the reason.

it's just bad planning and the old noone gives a porsche.

They're slowly showing up around the country (thank the road upgrades)

aluminium should trigger it or at least part of your car isn't alluminium. In dunboyne we have loop induction lights and they do work especially in the evening. You stop, wait 5-6 seconds for change then go on your merry way.

well maybe these lights are the way to go, but i have spent minutes looking into an empty junction. yes you are right the chassis is steel. must check this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Not directly connected to this thread, but I noted in Luxor in Egypt that the traffic lights there have a large display beneath them. When the lights are red, it is counting down in green in seconds to tell you when the lights will change to green. When they are green its in red and counting down. As a result they don't seem to have people trying to run the lights -- you know if you are going to be stopped well before you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ART6 wrote: »
    Not directly connected to this thread, but I noted in Luxor in Egypt that the traffic lights there have a large display beneath them. When the lights are red, it is counting down in green in seconds to tell you when the lights will change to green. When they are green its in red and counting down. As a result they don't seem to have people trying to run the lights -- you know if you are going to be stopped well before you get there.

They tried that here with pedestrian crossing and had to stop, I think it was because people could see they had 20 seconds to wait and didn't have the patience.

OP, I've noticed a lot of lights like that. Some of them have a forced pedestrain crossing time, why not let them press the button when they get there and not make traffic sit at a junciton for 1min at 5am in the morn when there are no peds around.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stratos wrote: »
    Then as my frustration got worse I began to notice the amount of time I was stopped at a red light looking into an empty junction. no cars coming or going just a red light.
    Part of this is down to the number of people running red lights. red light time for other traffic is kept high.

Advertisement