Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:56am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello my first post in here.

I have always loved cycling but have mostly used it for practical reasons going to work etc.A couple of years ago I bought one of those things that pull the kids behind the bike (not sure what they are called) and I often head out with the 3 kids on the bike.When going to pick the kids up from school again I will always use the bike instead of the car when I can.

Anyway I would like to start a bit of proper cycling as part of my fitness routine.I live out near Howth and often take the kids out on the bike but its not keep you fit type of cycling more a leisurely cycle.

My question is would you guys recommend I purchase a different bike for this or use my current 'mountain bike'...?I cant imagine it would be comfortable for longer more intense stuff,but I could be wrong maybe it would be a waste me buying a new bike for this.

Also any other advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are you planning on significantly increasing your distance? If so, a road bike is the best way to go. Go for one with drop handle bars. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder what you were doing on the MTB all the time. They are much more efficient than MTBs on the road. The size of the bike is very important, so, what height are you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am 6'1,yes I would like to significantly increasing my distance and maybe a few hills etc.Whats a good starter road bike..?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm 6'3" and ride a size 58. You would probably be the same, but any bike shop worth it's salt will sort you out there. The next important thing is budget, figure out how much you want to spend. Then remember that you will also need pedals, shoes, jerseys, gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I got a roadbike there lately and it cost me a bit but I don't regret a cent - it is pure joy. I highly recommend.

As said by others - factor in the shoes helmet etc. into overall budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

As others have said, it's all down to budget at the end of the day, there's bikes out there at most price points, for example:

BeOne Briza - great value for 320 quid
    Giant SCR 4 - 400 euro
    BeOne Storm - 500
    Saracen Tour 2 - 550
    Focus Summit - around 700
    Felt Z90 - 770
    Focus Ergoride - 900
    Focus Variado - 1000

All of the above wouldn't be bad bikes, but you really do get what you pay for -it's worth spending that little bit more to get a better bike, and has been said, you'll end up spending a couple hundred more on kit too -pedals and shoes will cost anything from 100 up, and shorts, tops etc (which you really do need for comfort) can get expensive, but bargains can be found at places like Wiggle, ChainReactionCycles, or PBK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd just like to expand a bit on this if I could. I know the obviousness of 'you get what you pay for' but can anybody offer some thoughts on specifics.

I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid. It cost me around €600 and does great work getting me into and out of work and the odd spin at weekends. I'd consider that it's a good middle of the road kind of bike.

What extra would I get out of a €1000 or a €1500 bike? Are the components going to be better and last longer? Need less maintenance? Need replacing less often? Is the frame stiffer that I'll get better responsiveness out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd just like to expand a bit on this if I could. I know the obviousness of 'you get what you pay for' but can anybody offer some thoughts on specifics.

I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid. It cost me around €600 and does great work getting me into and out of work and the odd spin at weekends. I'd consider that it's a good middle of the road kind of bike.

What extra would I get out of a €1000 or a €1500 bike? Are the components going to be better and last longer? Need less maintenance? Need replacing less often? Is the frame stiffer that I'll get better responsiveness out of it?

The answer to a lot of that is 'yes'! on €1000 to €1500 bikes, the groupsets will tend to be better (Shimano 105 or Ultegra) which are smoother during shifting, and are of better quality and lower weight than the tiagra or sora groupsets you will find on cheaper bikes. These components will indeed last longer than the cheaper alternatives (although ymmv). Also, in this price point, you are tickling the realms of an all carbon fibre bike, which saves weight, and can add stiffness to the ride.

As a rule of thumb (totally unscientific, and MY view, may not be shared by others), if you want a decent bike, look for Shimano 105 at a minimum, Ultegra if you can stretch to it, as they are generally a couple hundred more expensive, but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The Sirrus is an Aluminium frame with a suspension seatpost. Like Tiny said, at 1000-1500 price point, you should at least get a carbon fork and probably should get an all carbon frame, which is a better material for bike frames. I used to have a Sirrus but now I have a bike with a 105 groupset and the difference is incredible. The shifting is much smoother and the gears don't go out of sync as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The only problem that I've had with gear shifts was when my chainring, chain and cassette were all worn down. I wasn't aware enough of what was happening and what to be looking for to pre-empt it and replace individual bits. Actually, now that I think about it, going from the middle to the bigger chain ring does take a second or two to engage, even though it does seem to be at the correct adjustment. Maybe when I run this one into the ground I'll go for something a bit sparklier!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thanks for the advice folks.

One last question if I may.What shops are good or is on line buying the way to go..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Chainreaction. Bikedock. But nothing beats getting into your local bike shop and gettin to know the grease monkeys in there.

Advertisement