Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda trainees-official title

• 02-05-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

hi just wondering if whilst a garda trainee,you are getting something like, car insurance and they ask for occupation, would you say garda or student?
    may be no harm if you could put down garda?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

We were told in the college that in the eyes of the AGS we were not guards but in the eyes of the public we are guards so where that left us I don't honestly know. For my car insurance I told them I was a Student Garda and left it up to them to decide where to place me which was Garda!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Your paid by the department of Justice out of the Garda pay budget so that makes you a Garda as far as the tax man is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

You are a student. You are attending a recognised third level institution and you are studying for a degree/diploma. You are also civilian until you are attested. Therefore you are not a Garda and most of the public know this too (blue bottles, yellow packs- i know dat's an old one!, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CapL

What is the legal status of student gaurds and reserve gaurds. Do they have the same powers as fully fledged members of the gardai and would they be carrying a garda id bage.
    Just curious as to how much responsibility they recieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

civilians in uniform

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

CapL wrote: »
    What is the legal status of student gaurds and reserve gaurds.

Student Gardai aren't sworn members, Reserve Gardai are (albeit with limited powers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

city4life wrote: »
    that is to say when they are on duty....realistically how often will they use their powers though?

There's plenty of full-time Gardai that never use their powers either, that's not the point - the point is Reserve Gardai are sworn members & Students aren't.

Advertisement