Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I hate DIT...

Options
  • 02-05-2008 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I go to Kevin Street. Its a complete dive and nothing ever happens there. RAG week, crap. Freshers week, what freshers week? So its 10 days before exams and what's their bright idea? Put a band in the snackery of course. Great idea. Ya, apart from the fact that the snackery is under the library. An hour of bass banging through the library. Inconsiderate b@stards. Was anyone else in the lib to back me up here?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yeah, kevin street's a kip alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

future students won't have to worry about it sure aren't they moving the whole thing to grangegorman? quit your winging many graduates have done well from kevin st (including me) even if it is a dive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Not to forget the crap computers on the 4th floor with broken mice and keyboards, and missing LAN cables. Also, the great idea of putting two televisions into the library. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the old building is a complete fire hazard aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Jeapy wrote: »
    I go to Kevin Street. Its a complete dive and nothing ever happens there. RAG week, crap. Freshers week, what freshers week? So its 10 days before exams and what's their bright idea? Put a band in the snackery of course. Great idea. Ya, apart from the fact that the snackery is under the library. An hour of bass banging through the library. Inconsiderate b@stards. Was anyone else in the lib to back me up here?!

Ah stop whining, Kevin street was great and Id go back there ( and i'm looking but there seems to be no decent part time masters). College is what you make it so don't be complaining if you think there is nothing on, go do something dont leave it upto the SU.
    Not to forget the crap computers on the 4th floor with broken mice and keyboards, and missing LAN cables. Also, the great idea of putting two televisions into the library.

Ah thats only one lab isnt it? I thought there was only one lab with crappy computers left?? Four Year labs for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Why not go to Aungier Street or Bolton Street for the craic? Don't just stay at your own base, move around!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Its true Aungier street is the king of D.I.T.s with the worst people. Kevin st and Bolton street have a nice sort of community feel while aungier st. doesnt. On a related topic do the labs in Bolton street not have internet access? I couldnt believe this when I heard it. I also hate when people cite grangegorman as the solution to problems, as most of us wont get near it. What about the here and now? Ridiclous DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why i hate DIT kevin street.

purely academic.

you do programming for 4 years and you're not shown how to do regular expressions. i was two weeks on work placement and they are fecking everywhere and i mean everywhere.

you do web design and programming yet you focus purely on the program and none of the graphical design.

less academic.

you can't sit in a class after christmas without being blinded.
    you can't sit in a class with a hangover without a nest of birds outside the window.
    you're either too hot or too cold in the class

wixfjord why would they pump money into here and now, i know DIT are backwards in the way they do things but god they aren't completely looney.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

guy guys in all fairness

THE CITY IS OUR CAMPUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

What I hate about DIT:
    • Disorganization between member Colleges, resulting in "seclusion" zones(Also know as campuses:)). A unified campus is badly needed with Grangegorman.
    • "Practical" subject coursework which consists entirely of in class exams and no hands on labs.
    • Kevin street canteen.
    These are my major quibbles, otherwise things are mostly ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

THE CITY IS OUR CAMPUS

A feeble excuse for the fact that we have a patio for a campus.
    Ah thats only one lab isnt it? I thought there was only one lab with crappy computers left?? Four Year labs for the win.

Three rooms have crap computers. The two rooms with the out-dated NT4.0 computers, the Xilinx lab (which has the most broken mice). And as for the project lab, where there is nearly no chairs in it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

irlmarc wrote: »
    Ah stop whining, Kevin street was great and Id go back there ( and i'm looking but there seems to be no decent part time masters). College is what you make it so don't be complaining if you think there is nothing on, go do something dont leave it upto the SU.

I don't think you get my point. Its not about wanting entertainment throughout the year. My point is that nothing ever happens there and the one time it does, it affects everyone in the library right before exams.

If you think Kevin St is great, I'd be a little worried about you! Food is terrible, computers are all dodgy and the security settings let you do f*** all (and all 10 or so in the lib are always consumed with bebo). If you want to go back, try going to another city/college and see how things should be organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Cremo wrote: »
    why i hate DIT kevin street.

purely academic.

you do programming for 4 years and you're not shown how to do regular expressions. i was two weeks on work placement and they are fecking everywhere and i mean everywhere.

you do web design and programming yet you focus purely on the program and none of the graphical design.

You are 228 aren't ya? What year/route you in? In my third year we had a subject called user interface programming which was solely about creating gui's. And from what I hear now they cover regular expressions (perl) in great detail in systems programming (with pk). I wasn't in that route though but could have chose it as an option.

i'm talking more about good practices in graphical design, not having a green background with yellow text on it, which was practically what UI programming in year 3 was about.

i'm looking to do systems programming next year so it's good to hear they cover regexes.

i'm in third year by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

i'm talking more about good practices in graphical design, not having a green background with yellow text on it, which was practically what UI programming in year 3 was about.

i'm looking to do systems programming next year so it's good to hear they cover regexes.

i'm in third year by the way.

Shouldn't have done the work experience, there was an HCI module running this semester. But imo its more important to have things that work and don't crash before you have things that look pretty and have a fancy GUI. That can come later. Text-based ftw!

Agree about the regexes though, in the third year and there hasn't even been a mention of Perl or the like.

i'm all for text based programs ;) and i was really hinting at the web development course moreso than the UI programming one in my original post. like the have fireworks (shudders) installed on the machines yet it doesn't get used in any module that i've done so far. now i know you's may think it's a programming course first and foremost but a little bit on good web design wouldn't go astray otherwise when we go out to the workplace and are required to make webpages all we'll be able to do is have an image of bosco on a page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

I know, suppose it's the SOC's philosophy that it's better to create functional software than pretty software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

all we'll be able to do is have an image of bosco on a page.

Ha ha, oh Bosco. Forgot all about that. Quite laughable really. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Naikon wrote: »
    What I hate about DIT:
    • Disorganization between member Colleges, resulting in "seclusion" zones(Also know as campuses:)). A unified campus is badly needed with Grangegorman.
    • "Practical" subject coursework which consists entirely of in class exams and no hands on labs.
    • Kevin street canteen.
    These are my major quibbles, otherwise things are mostly ok...

+1. I wish I hadn't gone to DIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

I had the crack at DIT. The snackery of course didnt have LCD screens and was consumed in smoke back in the day. Perhaps you should ask them to reinstall the crappy little jukebox thingy?:p It never interferred with the library.

If it's interferring with the library why don't you say it to the SU? Or your course co-ordinator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i've always done all my studying in the angier street library. its much nicer and dosnt have any of the distractions stated above, plus its literally 2mins walk from kevin street!

I usually use one of their 2 comp labs aswell as again they're nicer (more spaced out) and 90% of the time theres usually at least one of them free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

bug wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask them to reinstall the crappy little jukebox thingy?:p It never interferred with the library.
    If it's interferring with the library why don't you say it to the SU? Or your course co-ordinator?
    It was only one day and as long as it doesnt happen between now and May 20th, i wont be giving out anymore!
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    i've always done all my studying in the angier street library. its much nicer and dosnt have any of the distractions stated above, plus its literally 2mins walk from kevin street!

I usually use one of their 2 comp labs aswell as again they're nicer (more spaced out) and 90% of the time theres usually at least one of them free

I dont mind the lib in kevin street. every so often though, people are really loud in the photocopy room (partition!) and dont realise it but thats only once or twice a day. where are there more comps in aungier street (apart from the lib?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Oh dear god. Suck it up lads.

Most people here are complaining about long hours, lack of campus activity etc.

It's in all colleges. Not just DIT.

I notice that a lot of people complaining are from Kev St. Chances are that if you were in another college studying in a similar area to the subjects on offer here in Kevins, you would be in the same boat - some **** lecturers, some bollox labs and no fun during the day. I emphasise that last part. You see all the fun happening in UCD and Trinners, but those colleges are rampant with ****e like humanities and art faculties - where people go to do 10 hours lectures a week. Of course they'll have more craic, sure they can work more, therefore earn more, which leads on to spending more etc etc.
    If you think Kevin St is great, I'd be a little worried about you! Food is terrible, computers are all dodgy and the security settings let you do f*** all (and all 10 or so in the lib are always consumed with bebo). If you want to go back, try going to another city/college and see how things should be organised.

Look at it conversely.

The food is a lot more affordable than a lot of other colleges, bar trinity - they seem to have it right! It's not great, but there is nothing stopping you from making your own food and bringing it. Remember you're a student. You get good food when you're working in KPMG, Roholl Engineering, IBM, Pfizer etc... It's called paying your dues! They lazy-****s arts students will have to make do with getting a subsidised meal from the Centra or Spar they'll be in from the minute they leave college!

Security settings on compos: If its not there, you can be assured that some ****ing clown will have downloaded cometcursors or some ****tard program like it, and the computer will be so ****ed that you can't print off it or even turn it on!

DIT has it great, 'cause its funded by the state/Dublin. A lot of us would be on our 'ear in UCD or DCU, because they would cancel courses that had low amounts of people on the books (my course had 4 people on it when I applied for Advanced Entry last year). It now stands at 6, and I'm getting as much personal attention to everything I need. A lot of you have it similar. We can all see the lectures every week where there are only 4/5 people attending - you can't even get that if you pay for it!

The grass is always greener, but its not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Jeapy wrote: »
    where are there more comps in aungier street (apart from the lib?)

As far as I remember there's a fairly nice lab just for Kevin Street students on the first floor down the very end on the right passed all the other labs.

Aside from the major admin problems I've never really had a problem with DIT.(I'm based in Aungier Street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Suck it up lads.

Most people here are complaining about long hours, lack of campus activity etc.

It's in all colleges. Not just DIT.

I notice that a lot of people complaining are from Kev St. Chances are that if you were in another college studying in a similar area to the subjects on offer here in Kevins, you would be in the same boat - some **** lecturers, some bollox labs and no fun during the day. I emphasise that last part. You see all the fun happening in UCD and Trinners, but those colleges are rampant with ****e like humanities and art faculties - where people go to do 10 hours lectures a week. Of course they'll have more craic, sure they can work more, therefore earn more, which leads on to spending more etc etc.

Look at it conversely.

The food is a lot more affordable than a lot of other colleges, bar trinity - they seem to have it right! It's not great, but there is nothing stopping you from making your own food and bringing it. Remember you're a student. You get good food when you're working in KPMG, Roholl Engineering, IBM, Pfizer etc... It's called paying your dues! They lazy-****s arts students will have to make do with getting a subsidised meal from the Centra or Spar they'll be in from the minute they leave college!

Security settings on compos: If its not there, you can be assured that some ****ing clown will have downloaded cometcursors or some ****tard program like it, and the computer will be so ****ed that you can't print off it or even turn it on!

DIT has it great, 'cause its funded by the state/Dublin. A lot of us would be on our 'ear in UCD or DCU, because they would cancel courses that had low amounts of people on the books (my course had 4 people on it when I applied for Advanced Entry last year). It now stands at 6, and I'm getting as much personal attention to everything I need. A lot of you have it similar. We can all see the lectures every week where there are only 4/5 people attending - you can't even get that if you pay for it!

The grass is always greener, but its not!

I was a ' lazy-****s arts student' in UCD. I did Arts for my undergrad, and went to DIT for my postgrad. I don't work in Centra or Spar, for the record, although I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not getting into the tored old cliche of lazy arts students and '10' hours a week here.

And having attended both UCD and DIT, I can categorically say that UCD is better in so many ways. I didn't attend for the social life. I went to further my education, and can honestly say I learned a lot more from UCD than DIT. Cancelled lectures, room rearrangements, opening hours, feedback from lecturers organisation in general was far, far better in UCD.

I'm not trying to make it personal here, but I'm getting the feeling from your post that you've only attended DIT. You can't really say what it's like elsewhere, as you, personally, haven't experienced it. The above is what I and other classmates saw, having gone to both places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

AlexBM wrote: »
    I was a ' lazy-****s arts student' in UCD. I did Arts for my undergrad. I didn't attend for the social life. I went to further my education.

Is he havin a laugh!!!?? :D

As for priveleges and the standards of computers. All final year comp students have full administrative rights on computers in labs, because we have been here the longest and we need them for what we do. Theres nothing you will learn or be required to do in any comp courses that DIT does not provide the resources in terms of software or hardware to do. People who complain about priveleges on comps are generally the ones who want to install games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Arabel wrote: »
    As far as I remember there's a fairly nice lab just for Kevin Street students on the first floor down the very end on the right passed all the other labs.

Aside from the major admin problems I've never really had a problem with DIT.(I'm based in Aungier Street).

yeah, i didn't mean theres more comps in angier street, just that the 2 labs they have for us are very nice and one of them is practically always free, as in no lectures/labs going on

I was a ' lazy-****s arts student' in UCD. I did Arts for my undergrad, and went to DIT for my postgrad. I don't work in Centra or Spar, for the record, although I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not getting into the tored old cliche of lazy arts students and '10' hours a week here.

Nothing wrong with it from my point of view, I work in a Centra myself.
    And having attended both UCD and DIT, I can categorically say that UCD is better in so many ways. I didn't attend for the social life. I went to further my education, and can honestly say I learned a lot more from UCD than DIT. Cancelled lectures, room rearrangements, opening hours, feedback from lecturers organisation in general was far, far better in UCD.

I was in DCU for 3 years, and DIT beats it hands down in terms of cancelled lectures etc. If its happening often, then complain. In these days, colleges are fighting for students tooth-and-nail. If a lecturer cancels on you, then complain. With anonymous marking and all that, you cant lose.

We made sure our lecturers have our phone numbers to make sure we know if a class is cancelled. They can **** off if they think I'm happy enough to get in at 9am on monday to find a free class!! And I don't see why others dont do the same!

A lot of people do pick their course so they can have nice easy courses and few hours. Think arts, communications, etc... Not saying you do, but it is done!
    I'm not trying to make it personal here, but I'm getting the feeling from your post that you've only attended DIT. You can't really say what it's like elsewhere, as you, personally, haven't experienced it. The above is what I and other classmates saw, having gone to both places.

As I said, another Uni for 3 years. Don't worry, its not personal!

strychnine wrote: »
    Is he havin a laugh!!!?? :D

As for priveleges and the standards of computers. All final year comp students have full administrative rights on computers in labs, because we have been here the longest and we need them for what we do. Theres nothing you will learn or be required to do in any comp courses that DIT does not provide the resources in terms of software or hardware to do. People who complain about priveleges on comps are generally the ones who want to install games.

We have a winner.

You get what you need, and nothing else. As it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

sunnyjim wrote: »
    We have a winner.

You get what you need, and nothing else. As it should be.

Amen to that brother!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Having done my undergrad in Trinity, I can say that DIT in Bolton St is a pathetic excuse for a 3rd level educational institution. A friend of mine also did her undergraduate in Trinity & is doing a post-graduate in Aungier street. Every time we meet up we swap our DIT horror stories. I have a list as long as my arm but here are a few choice ones:

*Unbelievably bad computer facilities & an IT support team that expects you to go and tell them when there's a problem (Hello, do I work for DIT? No)
    *Course manager who couldn't manage her way out of a paper bag. Zero communication skills, zero organisation skills.
    *Ridiculous time-tabling. What? A 12 hour day? Sure why not, we all know your concentration levels are at their best at 8pm!!
    *3 hour lectures. And some lecturers didn't give us our breaks and still went over time. Give a lecturer 5 hours and they'll fill it with crap. Give them 1 hour and they'll pretty quickly cut out the crap.
    *No help in finding work placement
    *Awful, awful, awful facilities. No CCTV in Zhivago so everything and anything not nailed down is stolen. Oh, and having to walk through 2 classrooms to get the toilets (Cue: Entire class plus lecturer falling silent and watching you walk to the toilet. "No, no, don't mind me, I'm just going to the TOILET")
    *Feedback? What feedback? Oh you're talking about that general chat you gave to the class where any of the comments may or may not have applied to me? Or that time when you brought in all the exam papers & all they had was a number at the bottom with no lecturers to be found?
    *Pathetic, pathetic library. I had books on my reading list that weren't even in the library.

I spent more time studying on Trinity campus that DIT campus outside lectures. I would get so depressed when I walked into the computer rooms & would see 40 brand new Mac desktops, all fully functional when I had to fight all year to get our 8 crappy PCs working & the printer never worked in the end.

Word of caution to anyone thinking of becoming a class rep in DIT. Find a nice solid brick wall, bang head repeatedly until semi-conscious. If you enjoy the experience, you'll love being class rep.

Only saving grace? The lecturers.

Edit: Yeah, what the hell is the story with all the bands playing right outside the library?? God I'm just glad I'm almost out of that place.

Advertisement