Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT - Revenue's 'calculations' !!!!!

Options
  • 02-05-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Went onto the VRT website re a 96 MX5, VRT was listed as €280. Bought the car in UK, brought it into the VRT office, they want €1800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

The VRT website says it's only a guide, but this was a basic model with no options, so WHAT'S with this 'guide' ? Is it a trap to get people to buy in the UK, then whack them with a higher VRT when they've no real option to return the car to the UK ????:eek:

A friend years ago tried to import a Cossie Sierra 3dr, they told him the VRT would be £3000, but on the website they only listed a 4dr Cossie at £500 VRT, asked about the difference they said their 'expert' had told them the 3dr was a 'Collectors car' so they tried to whack him but he returned it to the North and uses it time to time from there !!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

With all due respect, there is no way in hell Revenue will VRT anything for Eur 280..............that's only 6mths road tax money, or, post July 1, 4mths road tax money...........

My 90 '5 is worth - maybe - 2500. 30% x 2500 = 750, so where 280 comes from I have no idea.

Not 2800, buy any chance??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

galwaytt wrote: »
    With all due respect, there is no way in hell Revenue will VRT anything for Eur 280..............that's only 6mths road tax money, or, post July 1, 4mths road tax money...........
    What's that suppose to mean? They'll just bump up the cost because they want more money? If you pay VRT at 20% for example, I'd expect to pay 20% of what the car is worth, not more because the VRT collected is low and they could do with a bit more cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

It pays to print off the page from the website when you get the quote. No room for discussion then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Capri wrote: »
    Went onto the VRT website re a 96 MX5, VRT was listed as €280. Bought the car in UK, brought it into the VRT office, they want €1800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

The VRT website says it's only a guide, but this was a basic model with no options, so WHAT'S with this 'guide' ? Is it a trap to get people to buy in the UK, then whack them with a higher VRT when they've no real option to return the car to the UK ????:eek:

A friend years ago tried to import a Cossie Sierra 3dr, they told him the VRT would be £3000, but on the website they only listed a 4dr Cossie at £500 VRT, asked about the difference they said their 'expert' had told them the 3dr was a 'Collectors car' so they tried to whack him but he returned it to the North and uses it time to time from there !!!:p

I think you probably had the calc bookmarked? That calc is actually offline, add cc to the end of the url you have bookmarked and thats the live calc. The one that is giving 280 as the value is in testing in preperation for the co2 emissions calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The minimum rate for VRT is 315 (or is it 325 ?) Euro anyway, so 280 is definetly wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I think you probably had the calc bookmarked? That calc is actually offline, add cc to the end of the url you have bookmarked and thats the live calc. The one that is giving 280 as the value is in testing in preperation for the co2 emissions calculations.

Yep, checked again and it's €1751 - still cheap enough to buy in UK !

Advertisement