Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the appeal of Colm & Jim-Jim ?

• 02-05-2008 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Had someone staying over during the week, and they wanted to put on RTE 2FM :eek: .....yeah, I know - it's probably a first for my house for THAT to be on! :p

Anyways, while I was determined to draw the line and change channel the second Gerry Ryan came on, I compromised and put on their breakfast show.

I'm not gonna criticise it, because in the broader scheme of Irish breakfast shows it wasn't bad by any means....."acceptable" would be my opinion - apart from the annoying Dub-accent inserts which just weren't funny, but even Gift Grub can miss the mark at times.

But whatever about it being "acceptable", "listenable" or "ok", I couldn't for the life of me see what all the fuss was about.....from the way people talk about it you'd swear it was hilarious / brilliant!!!

Or does it just appear better to some people because it stands out against poorer shows around the country ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Had someone staying over during the week, and they wanted to put on RTE 2FM :eek: .....yeah, I know - it's probably a first for my house for THAT to be on! :p

Anyways, while I was determined to draw the line and change channel the second Gerry Ryan came on, I compromised and put on their breakfast show.

I'm not gonna criticise it, because in the broader scheme of Irish breakfast shows it wasn't bad by any means....."acceptable" would be my opinion - apart from the annoying Dub-accent inserts which just weren't funny, but even Gift Grub can miss the mark at times.

But whatever about it being "acceptable", "listenable" or "ok", I couldn't for the life of me see what all the fuss was about.....from the way people talk about it you'd swear it was hilarious / brilliant!!!

Or does it just appear better to some people because it stands out against poorer shows around the country ?

Occasionally it is very funny, occasionally not, imo.

It's humour totally subjective!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

They can be quite funny sometimes - at least they don't sound like they are TRYING to be funny. The breakfast shows on 98fm, FM104 and LITEfm all have presenters on who try really really hard to be funny, and they find themselves absolutely hilarious, and they're not. At all. GIFT GRUB is funny, and Dempsey seems to be able to make it through hjis inserts without embarrassing himself, but in general there is too much talk on Breakfast radio. I usually want to just hear music, good lively music, where you can turn up the radio in the car and be woken up properly! This trying to be smart and laughing at the inside jokes is so bad... It's even worse when the female presenters try to be 'lads' and the men try to impress the women on the show...
    Give me Aine Lawlor on Morning Ireland any day.
    (I would be a terrific host on a breakfast show...)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Singer73 wrote: »
    edit ...The breakfast shows on 98fm, FM104 and LITEfm all have presenters on who try really really hard to be funny,

Give me Aine Lawlor on Morning Ireland any day.
    (I would be a terrific host on a breakfast show...)

So long as you get the station name right. Lite FM has been Q102 for at least the last THREE years.

Now haven't you put me in my place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Being known in dublin before they went nationwide i didnt like how they expected the rest of the country to 'get' them right away. They are bloody annoying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Paddy P

Singer73 wrote: »
    The breakfast shows on 98fm, FM104 and LITEfm all have presenters on who try really really hard to be funny, and they find themselves absolutely hilarious, and they're not. At all.

I agree. Always thought that. laughng at there own jokes. Always a symptom of trying too hard and making an arse of it. some morning presenters just sound so fake and annoying imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said in the other long running thread, I used to listen to them every day on FM104 but the quality, humor and sheer randomness has gone rapidly downhill since they moved to 2FM. Not to mention the awful playlist that presumably has been forced on them by 2FM's management. I stopped listening at all a few months back.

Is PJ Gallagher still on doing his "funny" (stuttering whiny accent) prank calls to the UK? Wasn't funny the first time PJ, and doing the same "joke" every time doesn't make it any funnier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I never found his speech impetiment gag funny.Fnorty four, Jaysus,I wouldn't mind but ugly comedians are ment to be the best.He let his people down.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

short answer to thread topic.: Not much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

I really liked C&JJ when they were with 104 but they seem to have lost some of that vim that they had with 104, did they bring their producer with them from 104? i think her name was linda? lovely woman, real kind of mammy-ish but so nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair.....maybe the switch from Dublin-only to nationwide has had an impact, considering a lot of posters seem to think they were a lot better on FM104 ?

Were they that much better there, in-tune with their target audience ?

And again (as I said at the start) it's by no means saying that they were "bad" or anything.....they were ok.....just (IMHO) not what I expected given all the hype that I'd heard....a bit like going to a film that people were raving about and asking "WTF?", whereas if you hadn't heard anything about it it would have been a perfectly acceptable film.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

yeah hype always makes anything a lot better than it turns out to be...

in all honesty i used to listen to them on FM104 all the time but since they switched i tune into d'arcy on today fm. there should be no difference. same show, same time, same presenters just on a different channel but really it's a whole different show and the whole nationwide aspect to it does ruin it. the strawberries was a real 'dub' show.

in saying that, obviously darcy is nationwide too but it doesnt bother me as much on today fm for some reason-
    maybe im just an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

yeah hype always makes anything a lot better than it turns out to be...

in all honesty i used to listen to them on FM104 all the time but since they switched i tune into d'arcy on today fm. there should be no difference. same show, same time, same presenters just on a different channel but really it's a whole different show and the whole nationwide aspect to it does ruin it. the strawberries was a real 'dub' show.

in saying that, obviously darcy is nationwide too but it doesnt bother me as much on today fm for some reason-
    maybe im just an idiot

They had an extra hour on 104. I never really liked their skits but it had a more relaxed feel to it which I liked on a Friday after 10 especially. Going to 2fm they've definately lost something which made me tune in on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

No appeal at all!!!!!!!

The Dort guy and The Dub guy who 'ring' in are not even in the slightest bit funny. That only sort of worked on FM104, but it definitely doesn't work now. The Jim Jim's dad item is complete pants. I think Col, Hayes is supposed to be the older wiser one, and the other bloke is the more naive yet hip guy - none of it makes any sense, and it doesn't make for good radio. Now I'm not suggesting bringing back 'Marty in the morning' which was incredibly annoying, but something with a bit of inteligence behind it would suffice. Not all listeners are under 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

id much prefer today fm especially ray foley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

ports best wrote: »
    id much prefer today fm especially ray foley

I concur.

Advertisement