Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardship cases?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if the council/ social welfare provide funding or part funding for people living in hardshipped housing?
    i live with my parents and my mams a screwball (complete and utter) and i need to get outta the house for my own sanity. im in full time 3rd level education, in receipt of grants but they would nowhere near cover rent every month and living expenditures,

does anybody know anything at all that could help me?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Do you work part-time? Could you do a house-share with some other students?

As far as I am aware the social welfare will not pay rent allowance to students and as for the council lists, I'm sorry but there's no point even thinking about that. The council lists for singles and for parents of one child in Dublin are at least 5 years long and often in excess of 8/10 years depending on the area (as most of what the councils build are three beds) Even if you are only beginning your course you'd be long since finished and in full employment by that type of timescale obviously.

It wouldn’t do you any harm to contact the community welfare officer at your local health board centre and ask them about all this, but don’t be holding out too much hope because these were the rules last time I heard of them and I haven’t heard anything about them changing since. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament; my own mother is a total head-banger so I know what that's like. :(

If things get really really bad maybe you could contact a social worker; you will find them in the local health board office also. I don’t know what assistance they could be of in your situation but it wouldn’t hurt to contact them to enquire. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

im in full time work as im on my placement but i will resume part time wrk in sept as it will be my final yeara and i will be working one day a week. our system dosnt really ahve anything for ths kind of situations, its terrible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Can you apply for student accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Also, Vincent de Paul can be quite helpful in these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think for the moment, just worry about sorting your exams.

Talk to your local Community Welfare Officer (usually in the local health centre) and they may be able to help you. Also ask you college welfare service if they can recommend anything. some can offer soft loans or can recommend other sources of finance.

If your job is course-related, might they give you an exam bonus or scholarship?

• Advertisement
Advertisement