Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish Maestro real?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I cant buy online or over the phone in the UK with my Ulster Bank Maestro card. Maestro website says you can buy in any retailer or get cash from any atm with the maestro logo. The ulster bank web site says:
    "Pay for goods and services at home and abroad wherever you see the Laser/Maestro logo".
    I am begining to doubt that an Irish Bank issued Maestro is real, infact, I reckon its just a laser card with a maestro logo for fun!
    any one else got these problems? I rang ulster bank yesterday and the simple answer was it should work! I sent them an email today comlpaining. I tried to buy a football match ticket yesterday and when I spoke to the sales person (in england) she said they accept maestro. When I gave her my card details, she said that it was invalid... not the first time I have heard that fom the UK! Why are our banks so crap? Is this a case for the financial ombudsman?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

irishsaint wrote: »
    I cant buy online or over the phone in the UK with my Ulster Bank Maestro card. Maestro website says you can buy in any retailer or get cash from any atm with the maestro logo. The ulster bank web site says:
    "Pay for goods and services at home and abroad wherever you see the Laser/Maestro logo".
    I am begining to doubt that an Irish Bank issued Maestro is real, infact, I reckon its just a laser card with a maestro logo for fun!
    any one else got these problems? I rang ulster bank yesterday and the simple answer was it should work! I sent them an email today comlpaining. I tried to buy a football match ticket yesterday and when I spoke to the sales person (in england) she said they accept maestro. When I gave her my card details, she said that it was invalid... not the first time I have heard that fom the UK! Why are our banks so crap? Is this a case for the financial ombudsman?

I am having the exact same problems with my so called Perm TSB maestro card, pretty much useless in the UK or online, I wonder if its working in other euro zone countries yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Because the UK "Maestro" system is basically their old Switch system rebranded, so a lot of non-UK cards won't work there.

Also, Irish Maestro cards abroad tend to only work in shops, not over phone/internet.

It's come up a few time here if you search for it, summary on Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's an absolute joke tbh.
    This is 2008, we shouldn't be using sh*tty, insular systems like Laser and Maestro. All the Irish banks should be offering Visa debit on their atm cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Irish Maestro / Laser cards cannot be used in any form of non-Irish distance selling unless that operator has a specific clearing agreement with an Irosh based card clearing centre.

However, it can be used whereever the maestro / mastercard symbol is displayed worldwide as long as the card holder is present and can enter their pin number.

Similarly UK residents cannot use their switch or visa debit cards outside UK websites unless they are present at the posint of sale.

As to why? - European banking systems are not synchronised so data is not available in real time as to whther funds are available . card stolen etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Is there any length that a Maestro card number is supposed to be?

The AIB and PTSB have different length of numbers on the cards. Do either of these work in the UK?

I have noticed that some banks in the UK are just issuing Maestro cards now, with no switch. Sure the Switch doesn't do anything that Maestro anyway?

Same for Laser, or do I have this all wrong? Or is that just the theory, but doesn't work too well in practice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's an absolute joke tbh.
    This is 2008, we shouldn't be using sh*tty, insular systems like Laser and Maestro. All the Irish banks should be offering Visa debit on their atm cards.

Only bank doing this that I have seen is Halifax. Anyone seen any other one offering the Visa debit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 irishsaint

TirEoghain wrote: »
    Is there any length that a Maestro card number is supposed to be?

The AIB and PTSB have different length of numbers on the cards. Do either of these work in the UK?

I have noticed that some banks in the UK are just issuing Maestro cards now, with no switch. Sure the Switch doesn't do anything that Maestro anyway?

Same for Laser, or do I have this all wrong? Or is that just the theory, but doesn't work too well in practice?

I used mine in Topman in Bristol and worked fine, tried using in tesco in bristol and wouldnt work. Also, tried booking on flybe.com and it tells me invalid card number. I also tried to book on translink.co.uk and it tells me its a laser card!! Its a freaking maestro. I am able to use the maestro no problem in spain, I had to pay for something over the phone and in resteraunts and worked fine so i think its fine in the eurozone, maybe but i dont know.
    The lenght of maestro is supposed to be 16 digits but some banks are still using laser card numbers here and some are longer, using the 4 digit prefex and then the 6 digit sort code and an 8 digit a/c number, some even put 2 numbers on the end... thats probably also causeing a problem - similiar in the uk because of switch. anyway, verdict, maestro is ****. im going getting me a halifax account, they do visa debit. My mates in belfast have them and they work everywhere. Im going to run in to college green and get a halifax account.... maestro, what a waiste of time

Maestro dont do debit cards but if they did..........

There is some things money cant buy, for everything else, there is anyhting but maestro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I used my BOI Laser in Portugal in a chip and pin machine with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mcbads08

irishsaint wrote: »
    I used mine in Topman in Bristol and worked fine, tried using in tesco in bristol and wouldnt work. Also, tried booking on flybe.com and it tells me invalid card number. I also tried to book on translink.co.uk and it tells me its a laser card!! Its a freaking maestro. I am able to use the maestro no problem in spain, I had to pay for something over the phone and in resteraunts and worked fine so i think its fine in the eurozone, maybe but i dont know.
    The lenght of maestro is supposed to be 16 digits but some banks are still using laser card numbers here and some are longer, using the 4 digit prefex and then the 6 digit sort code and an 8 digit a/c number, some even put 2 numbers on the end... thats probably also causeing a problem - similiar in the uk because of switch. anyway, verdict, maestro is ****. im going getting me a halifax account, they do visa debit. My mates in belfast have them and they work everywhere. Im going to run in to college green and get a halifax account.... maestro, what a waiste of time

NIB recently made a big deal about the fact it was upgrading all current a/c laser cards to include maestro, and given the fact I'm going on holidays next month I was pretty happy to see that! The laser has always worked abroad but from what you're saying it'll be luck of the draw whether or not I can use it in a resteraunt/shop??? Have I picked you up right??

Kinda makes you have to think what's the point?? If I have picked yuo up right then there's really no difference or extra functionality than a laser?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Some shops here won't accept Maestro, Dunnes being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

My Irish Maestro card works in Various shops in the Netherlands, and my ABNAmro Maestro works in Various shops in Ireland too.

Also an Irish card will ONLY work with Swipe in the Netherlands, not Chip. The Chip on cards here is used for ChipKnip (Electronic Wallet) and is completely seperate.

mcbads08 wrote: »
    NIB recently made a big deal about the fact it was upgrading all current a/c laser cards to include maestro, and given the fact I'm going on holidays next month I was pretty happy to see that! The laser has always worked abroad but from what you're saying it'll be luck of the draw whether or not I can use it in a resteraunt/shop??? Have I picked you up right??

Kinda makes you have to think what's the point?? If I have picked yuo up right then there's really no difference or extra functionality than a laser?? :confused:

Something like that yeah but it only seems to be a problem in the uk. I used it fine in spain. Im begging to think that there may be issues regarding fx currencies or something... i dont know. It works fine at every atm i have ever used, just not at point of sales

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

I got this in England. Works in ATMs and a few shops, but thats it. Seems they have 15 digits and we have 16 or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I have developed some software that sends card requests to third parties that process the payments.

There is a few strange things with Maestro cards, one that we came across is that they cannot be used for recurring payments as 3D Secure security is compulsory for these cards.

Lots of useful info on this site regarding the ins and outs of credit/debit cards:

http://www.electronic-payments.co.uk/

I too hungover to write any more. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Evangelion wrote: »
    I got this in England. Works in ATMs and a few shops, but thats it. Seems they have 15 digits and we have 16 or something like that

Not quite - it works in ATM's because that doesn't use the Maestro functionality of the card. The UK's Maestro network is it's old Switch network, under a new name - the same as Ireland's is just the old Laser system under a new name.

In the UK different issuers have different card number length etc also.

The basic problem is that Maestro in Europe at the moment is various old systems (such as Switch and Laser) with new names - the underlying technology which is different in each country doesn't always work well together, unlike the Visa Debit system which is fully integrated with Visa's credit card processing system and hence is much more universally accepted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭petek

i was just wondering this same question today, as i want to get a debit card to bring away with me traveling to the USA this summer. i was hoping it would be a way for me to withdraw cash at atm's or pay for things in shops if i don't have cash on me or whatever..

i have my current account with BOI at the moment, and i was hoping to just apply for their maestro card tomorrw. but is this a bad idea? will it work at ATMs and point of sale in the usa?
    am i better off moving my current account to Halifax and applying for their visa debit card before i go?
    i would love to be able to use my debit card to purchase things online, as i am not eligible for a credit card. will the Halifax visa debit card work online just like a credit card? or only when the site says it takes debit cards? basically my main concern though is just that it actually works abroad consistantly..
    so does anyone know what the story is with BOI maestro in the USA? or Halifax visa debit cards in the USA? or Halifax visa debit cards online?

Maestro will work fine in ATM's (as it has nothing to do with the Maestro functionality, as such, but the ATM card functionality).

Point of sale purchases probably won't work.

Visa Debit will work pretty much anywhere Visa is accepted, online or in real life.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Maestro will work fine in ATM's (as it has nothing to do with the Maestro functionality, as such, but the ATM card functionality).

Point of sale purchases probably won't work.

Visa Debit will work pretty much anywhere Visa is accepted, online or in real life.

thanks. hopefully i can get a halifax one in time before i go away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Not quite - it works in ATM's because that doesn't use the Maestro functionality of the card. The UK's Maestro network is it's old Switch network, under a new name - the same as Ireland's is just the old Laser system under a new name.

In the UK different issuers have different card number length etc also.

The basic problem is that Maestro in Europe at the moment is various old systems (such as Switch and Laser) with new names - the underlying technology which is different in each country doesn't always work well together, unlike the Visa Debit system which is fully integrated with Visa's credit card processing system and hence is much more universally accepted).

That is not true. You are correct about Switch in the UK being rebranded as Meastro. But here in ireland, Laser and Maestro are two seperate things.
    Laser is mainy an Irish POS debit card, but can be used online and over the phone in a limited ammount of scenarios.
    Mestro is an international debit card service, which can be used wherever you see the meastro symbol (ideally anyway). It also works in ATMs worldwide where you see the maestro symbol.

I do agree with you about visa debit card. It should just be givin by all the banks here. would make all of our lives so much easier. :)

petek wrote: »
    thanks. hopefully i can get a halifax one in time before i go away

looks like thats not going to happen now that i've just seen how much documentation they need to open an account (i could change a bill into my name, but i still get my bank statements sent to my parents house and even those don't have my name on them for some bizarre reason only my BOI bank manager knows i'm sure). i asked a friend in the USA and they said they've never even heard of maestro and that debit cards there all work on visa.. agh!
    i'm going to be in the US for over a month, so i can't really just bring cash or travelers cheques. i just want to be able to live more or less like i do here and withdraw money from atms.. does anyone have experience with maestro and atms there? will it work with all atms? or just some?

It should work in the majority - any ATM with a Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus symbol on it (which will be the pretty much all the major banks etc)

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It should work in the majority - any ATM with a Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus symbol on it (which will be the pretty much all the major banks etc)

ok cool, i hope so. i just got freaked out when my friend said he'd never heard of it, like it might not be common to see the symbol anywhere (although i'm sure u probably wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it anyay..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Fabio

Going to the USA myself Petek for ten days and want to bring a debit card with me.

Seeing as Ulster Bank is where my account is I'll probably end up going over with a Maestro card which will probably only be useful in ATM's but what can one do?! I'll just withdraw cash in relatively large amounts to avod a build up of charges and use the Maestro function on the card in shops where it is accepted....

hey fabio, i had a look into this again today, and as far as i can make out, a cirrus card will work in the atms there. the maestro part might not work, but cirrus will? i'm going to go to my bank tomorrow myself and ask, but if anyone knows whether i have the right end of the stick here it would be cool! i'm running out of time so i even if i could get a debit card that would work over there i might not have time to sort it all out before i go. will end up doing the atm thing myself i guess. just might be hard keeping large sums on me..

Paying at point of sale will probably not work.

Using them in ATM's should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Fabio

petek wrote: »
    hey fabio, i had a look into this again today, and as far as i can make out, a cirrus card will work in the atms there. the maestro part might not work, but cirrus will? i'm going to go to my bank tomorrow myself and ask, but if anyone knows whether i have the right end of the stick here it would be cool! i'm running out of time so i even if i could get a debit card that would work over there i might not have time to sort it all out before i go. will end up doing the atm thing myself i guess. just might be hard keeping large sums on me..

You'll just have to keep a close eye on the money you spend that's all...make sure you do cos cash can disappear so quickly but then again at least it's physical and you will notice when it's running low.

You've summed it up in your post I think - your Maestro Debit Card will work fine in foreign atms thanks to the Cirrus or Plus+ function on it but as for paying directly with the card in a shop or online there may be problems so use cash there or just go to the counter and ask if they take Maestro!

Visa Debit seems to be the most interconnectable system but you'll need to go to Halifax for that.

Did you say you can't get a credit card? As a last gasp option you could simply apply for one, if you get it just top it up before you go or pay the debt on it within the grace period so you won't be paying interest and it'd be acting like a debit card!

Fabio wrote: »
    You'll just have to keep a close eye on the money you spend that's all...make sure you do cos cash can disappear so quickly but then again at least it's physical and you will notice when it's running low.

You've summed it up in your post I think - your Maestro Debit Card will work fine in foreign atms thanks to the Cirrus or Plus+ function on it but as for paying directly with the card in a shop or online there may be problems so use cash there or just go to the counter and ask if they take Maestro!

Visa Debit seems to be the most interconnectable system but you'll need to go to Halifax for that.

Did you say you can't get a credit card? As a last gasp option you could simply apply for one, if you get it just top it up before you go or pay the debt on it within the grace period so you won't be paying interest and it'd be acting like a debit card!

yeah, i can't get a credit card for a couple of different reasons, mostly because i don't have a regular job. i wouldn't even want to apply for one because i'm so sure it would be rejected and i don't really need that on my credit history.

but yeah, anyway, does anyone know for sure if just a regular run of the mill BOI card with cirrus on it will work in the states? or does it need to have maestro on it for some reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Petek

Your cirrus card will work in ATM's with the cirrus logo. You would be fairly hard pushed to find an ATM without the cirrus logo. Any ive seen so far at home and abroad has had it.
    This is a quote from mastercards website also:
    Cirrus is the brand name that stands for the global MasterCard/Cirrus ATM Network—among the largest ATM networks in the world.

The Cirrus brand represents immediate deposit account access convenience at more than 800,000 cash machine locations worldwide.

Advertisement