Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem logging on

• 02-05-2008 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭

hi

when i boot up my pc, I can't log on to any user account, it will say logging in and then suddenly say saving user settings, I can't even log in through safe mode, it's xp.

anyone know what's going on?

has my pc finally kicked the bucket?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

patrickc wrote: »
    hi
    when i boot up my pc, I can't log on to any user account, it will say logging in and then suddenly say saving user settings, I can't even log in through safe mode, it's xp.

Interesting problem... This is your personal machine I take it. Your not on a domain or using XP Pro?

Your going to need the windows XP boot CD if your to repair your installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭patrickc

Jaoibh wrote: »
    Interesting problem... This is your personal machine I take it. Your not on a domain or using XP Pro?

Your going to need the windows XP boot CD if your to repair your
    installation.

yeh it's my personal machine, I don't have the xp disc, might be able to get my hands on one though.

yeh it's my personal machine, I don't have the xp disc, might be able to get my hands on one though.

Its wierd that you cant get in via safemode. Are you getting the the user accounts.. Click the administrator one and it just kicks you out?

Its wierd that you cant get in via safemode. Are you getting the the user accounts.. Click the administrator one and it just kicks you out?

yeh even the administrator one just kicks me straight out

yeh even the administrator one just kicks me straight out

ok three options so
    One format and reinstall the OS
    Two try the repair that will probably work saving everything
    Three wait for someone to come back with a better solution :)

• Advertisement

ok three options so
    One format and reinstall the OS
    Two try the repair that will probably work saving everything
    Three wait for someone to come back with a better solution :)

ill see if i can get a disc later and try the repair, dont fancy a reinstall to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Make sure it's the same version as the one on your PC. There are three different installation types to each of the versions (Home and Pro).

OEM, Corporate and multi (limited number) licence.

Normal installation is OEM for PC's with the OS shipped installed.

rrpc wrote: »
    Make sure it's the same version as the one on your PC. There are three different installation types to each of the versions (Home and Pro).

OEM, Corporate and multi (limited number) licence.

Normal installation is OEM for PC's with the OS shipped installed.

thanks ill bear that in mind..

has anyone any ideas as to what's causing the problem?

thanks ill bear that in mind..

has anyone any ideas as to what's causing the problem?

Two or three possible causes. The windows oobe timer is wrong and has de-activated your windows OS and shuts you down every time you start up. It could also be a virus or spyware: search assistant is one of the ones that can be responsible for this behaviour, but anything other than a repair installation involves registry editing within the recovery console and you'd really want to know what you're doing to do that.

• Advertisement

Where's the one that came with your PC? And I don't know if that disk would help or not. You really need to do a repair install of windows and that is not a windows disk.

rrpc wrote: »
    Where's the one that came with your PC? And I don't know if that disk would help or not. You really need to do a repair install of windows and that is not a windows disk.

xp came pre installed so never got the disk with this pc, the pc is about 3 and a half years old too, works/ed as good as ever though with a memory and ram upgrade,

it's so dear to buy xp too, might consider a new pc, if I had to and installed my old harddrive into a new pc, i presume It'd be able to read it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.ultimatebootcd.com - probably has more stuff on it than the ebay one
    neither will help you reinstall windows , but can help with specific repair tasks , but only if you know what you are doing.

check with the PC supplier for the original CD or if there is a restore image on the drive.

I hate this sort of thing , had a few and can't remember what fixed them in the end , rrpc has probably got most of the likely angles covered

www.ultimatebootcd.com - probably has more stuff on it than the ebay one
    neither will help you reinstall windows , but can help with specific repair tasks , but only if you know what you are doing.

check with the PC supplier for the original CD or if there is a restore image on the drive.

I hate this sort of thing , had a few and can't remember what fixed them in the end , rrpc has probably got most of the likely angles covered

how would i get to check the drive if i can't log in, or maybe I'm better off not trying know a bit about pc's but don't want to make it worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Seeing as you dont want to spend any money you are going to have to do some work. Use a DOS floppy to boot and do your investigations/repair from there (set bootup in BIOS). DOS boot disks are free to download but you have to do some research to rescue your computer.

muggyog wrote: »
    Seeing as you dont want to spend any money you are going to have to do some work. Use a DOS floppy to boot and do your investigations/repair from there (set bootup in BIOS). DOS boot disks are free to download but you have to do some research to rescue your computer.

i will spend money just dont wanna spend it unnecessarily if the disc wont definitely make my pc work again

dont have a floppy drive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

USB stick?

USB stick?

yep... though hopefully can get a copy of xp early next week

DOS won't 'see' an NTFS volume. It certainly won't be able to repair it. You really, really need an XP disk. It's not illegal to get a copy of one, the licence key should be on a sticker on your computer. If it's not, you should get on to your supplier and demand it.

This is where the different installation variants come in, because your licence key will only work on the same installation type that you have. You can however, change the installation type of a CD by editing the SETUPP.INI file in the i386 folder and burning a new copy with the changed file.

Advertisement