Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth it?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

i'm in a bit of a dilemma now. gonna talk to a piercer tomorrow, but before that, just thought i'd throw it past you guys.

i have the bug at the mo... would love a new piercing, and the only ones im particularly interested in at the mo would be nipples (though have promised them for a present for myself for my birthday next year, after steve snakebite told me i'd be best waiting til a certain age to get them done, for best healing and least damage to milk ducts and weird yucky stuff like that), corset style on the legs, and madison...

now... madison, is where im leaning right now. i know it's horrible horrible for rejecting, and have talked to mark in vpiercings about it just about every time i've seen him... he says his only stayed cos he initially did one that rejected on purpose (did it too shallow, i think), and then went and did one again behind the scar tissue of that one. there's a piercer over here, im not 100% sure what i think of him yet, only met him once, but he has a madison too, says his stays cos he used ptfe in his, from the get go i think.

been checkin it up online, and the rejection rate is quite astounding... and some people seem to be suggesting microdermals. what do ye guys reckon? im pretty bad on teh technical side of piercings and stuff, so im throwing it out there for yer opinions and the likes.

i wont be rushing into the piercing (surf season not quite over yet, and i can't imagine most piercings working well with surfing in general, but madison has the added fun of being at the neck area of the wetsuit, whcih would be undoubtedly disastrous.), and if it rejects, which i would really really hope it wouldnt, i dont mind too much about scarring, i've plenty of scarring on my neck already. just give assholes something else to stare at. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Totally up to yourself really. PTFE won't increase the chances of getting your madison to heal in my opinion.
    a few options;

Pierce and hope for the best.
    Pierce it like Mark did, remove it, let it heal, repierce behind scar tissue then hope for the best.
    Microdermal seems like best option to me but won't have the ability to remove it without a piercer to help you cut it out.

Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The only ones I know of that have lasted are ones that have been done a couple of times to build up scar tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

that's what i thought, emmet, but the guy i was talking to said that he only had it done the once, and the ptfe was the reason it stayed, cos it put so much less pressure on the tissue or something (i can only sorta remember, but he had definitely only got it done once, and was very happy for ptfe).

i'd be almost inclined to ask him to pierce once shallow-ish (does it have to be shallow if you're mostly intending the piercing for the purpose of creating scar tissue?) with ptfe, just throw it out there, if it works yay, but not expecting anything.... and repierce again later in a year or whatever, and have that done with ptfe?

im not sure at all. microdermal though, seems a good option. can it be done over scar tissue, (ie, last resort), or do i have to keep some space clear for it? not worried about only piercer taking it out, that's a non-issue for me really.

was talking to him today, he is a huuuuuge advocate of ptfe for just about all surface piercings. he checked out my septum, there is a bit of scar tissue on one side after i got hit on it, he looked at it and cleaned it up for me a bit. were talking about ptfe and his general dislike of metal bars/staples in surface piercings, he's astounded apparently that ptfe hasn't taken off elsewhere. mentioned my nape, which has flared up a bit this week, he looked at it, and we chatted about it, and i ended up asking him to put some ptfe jewellery in my nape, which he did, for a tenner (five euros), and **** the amount of pus that came out of it! no wonder it'd been so tender lately.

i think ill be going back in a month for the madison. hopefully should work, he's pretty confident about success rates for it, and it'll be my test to see if i can love him as a new piercer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

Ive had a load of surface piercings done with ptfe and none of them have lasted any length of time, ive always found that because the jewellery has that freedom of movement it never properly settles!

The other thing is, every bar ive ever had has always had a slightly porus surface so i always had trouble as a result of that too

• Advertisement

hmm, ive been trying to remember something steve in snakebite mentioned in passing once... i think it was that it's best to put the original piercing in as metal, heal it up a bit, and then swap for ptfe. but i can't remember, so i dont know :(

i reckon im gonna go ahead with this madison thing anyway, if it works, i have a candidate for my nipple piercings in march, if not, ah well, twas worth a try, and mark will have my business whenever i get back to ireland.

Advertisement