Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Press Office

• 02-05-2008 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Last time I heard when the force was undergoing a restructing that civilian staff were replacing the garda staff in the press office. I also saw at that time an advertisement for press officer for the garda which had a fairly plump salary of about 80k approx. I think some civilian who was previously spokesperson for the PSNI was appointed. I thought that this job would involve dealing with the media and making public statements and become the garda spokesperson.But I have yet to see this person on TV ?

Instead , the superintendent of the Press office makes the statements ( and does a good job) , so what is this civilan press officer actually doing? The superintendent was doing a perfectly good job before they arrive so what was the point of appointing them anyway?

It seems that all that happened in 'civilising' the press office was that another plump civil service job was created that wasnt really needed in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i think i remember reading somewhere, and i could be wrong, that kevin donogue (superintendent press office) had been made a chief superintendent, and being transfered out, possibly making room for a civilian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Super might be just a face for the telly, and a civilian doing all the work behind the scenes. Preparing releases, liasing with media, organising press conferences, basically doing whole PR for Gardai. But for the sound and audio bites they use actual member. This is how it works in many countries.

It's a very responsible job, it also requires a lot of skill and experience, that's why it's quite well paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Maybe but wasnt the superintendent able to do this before without this persons 'help'. just seems like an extra post was created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Superintendent would be hardly able to control the flow of information for the whole Ireland on his own. The Garda Press office existed before, now they are just replacing members with civilians.

Relationship with media is a very important issue, it creates an image of GS for the genral public, if it's done properly it's money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

Sinead McSweeney is the Director of Communications (on significantly more than €80k, by the way). Kevin Donohoe is the Garda Press Officer. He is on the Chief's list and wil be gone October.
    He will be replaced by another Supt.; the decision has been made that the `face' of AGS should be an officer rather than a civilian. That is a sound decision, IMHO. I don't think it would look too smart a civilian going on after an incident.
    The Super, and to a lesser extent John Ferris the inspector there, deal with more `firefighting' - such as giving birefings to the media at scenes (Just think of Wexford last week), while Sinead does more of the strategic stuff, or trying to market AGS. I know, for example, that the Garda is almost unique in this country in that at least 80 per cent of their media exposure is reactive, rather than proactive. So it's Sinead's job to try to improve the image of AGS, rather than giving details of a murder, etc.
    Also, she does take a lot ot queries from the media, albeit privately.
    On a related point, many reporters were only too happy for the press office to be civilianised...but I think now they are realising the folly of this.
    Several excellent sergeants and gardai - who knew how the force worked and were committed to it, have left, or rather been booted out, to be replaced by civilians who are as useful as a chocolate fireguard. You can't get to speak to the surviving sergeants because the civilians won't let you. The net result of that is that reporters, who would previously have had good relations in there, are now hassling the top three mentioned above - or ringing members outside increasingly.
    Also, Kevin Donohoe will be a loss. He was excellent on TV and radio, he explained the force's view very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Indeed. Supt Donoghue was always very well spoken and portrayed the organisation in a professional manner on both television and radio.

Hopefully the panel that selects the incoming Supt will expect the same mannerism and professionalism. I hate to say it but hearing a thick ol country accent really doesn't help the image of the organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

That's right. I believe, however, that someone has already been earmarked. I haven't spoken to that person myself, but he seems to be well regarded.
    I have to say, I've never seen Kevin Donohoe get annoyed at a press conference - despite some really ludicrous questions.

There was one a few weeks ago, although KD wasn't there. It was Mark Curran, the Super for Coolock. he was speaking at the press briefing afetr that man Russell was shot in the Ardlea Inn. A reporter asked him if the killers made an `immediate getaway'?
    WTF? As if they'd have a pint afterwards...

Advertisement