Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd year history folk...

• 02-05-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm a bit concerned about the history core, still plenty of time until the exam, but wondering does anybody have any pointers? I missed at least 50% of the lectures for this course because of work this year. Most people I've talked to said the lecturers didn't give out any real tips for the exam?

Yes, I know, I will look at the past exam papers, but any bit of insight would handy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I'm a bit concerned about the history core, still plenty of time until the exam, but wondering does anybody have any pointers? I missed at least 50% of the lectures for this course because of work this year. Most people I've talked to said the lecturers didn't give out any real tips for the exam?

Yes, I know, I will look at the past exam papers, but any bit of insight would handy.

These three topics come up every year:

The Reformation (Online articles are quite good)
    The French Revolution (You really should read a book on this, you might get away with wiki articles)
    The 1830/1848 Revolutions in Central Europe (Email Detmar Klein for readings for this, its basically three chapters in three different books)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I have a six day break for the ocre exam, so I'll get the study down there. The exam papers look easy enough, although its easier for me as I have pile of books on the various topics.

Will probably cover Gustav Adolphus, French rev, the Enlighthenment and the 30 years war.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 IBeTheProphet

Cheers. Has Detmar Klein given you those readings, daithi?

Good luck to the both of ye.

A quick question - we are supposed to bring the printed version, from the UCC website, of timetable with us to the exams right?

Lat year it was the version we got in the post if I remember correctly.

Cheers. Has Detmar Klein given you those readings, daithi?

Good luck to the both of ye.

I did the exam last year, thats what he recommended reading back then. I couldn't tell ya what books they were now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

I reckon it should be fine really as going back on past papers there's a good few recurring themes.

I'm going to do...

- Industrial Revolution/Victorian Era
    - The Enlightenment
    - The Reformation

if they come up and I think that they will.

However if they don't, I have these looked over too...

- The Black Death (I'd like this to come up actually)
    - Napolean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Orizio wrote: »
    A quick question - we are supposed to bring the printed version, from the UCC website, of timetable with us to the exams right?

Last year it was the version we got in the post if I remember correctly.

Yeah you have to bring the one from the internet with you for all the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Corkbhoy8

Hi lads, Is it HI2001 yere talking about ya?

That very one.

Ya Im kinda gettin bit stressed over it, I know the papers are repetitive but how much are we expected to write?(This is my first year doing history,i transferred in from another course)

• Advertisement

Corkbhoy8 wrote: »
    Ya Im kinda gettin bit stressed over it, I know the papers are repetitive but how much are we expected to write?(This is my first year doing history,i transferred in from another course)

They expect about 1,000-1,500 words per essay from you.

Nice one..im proberly jus guna cover the topics ye have mentioned too..dont tink theres any autumn past exam papers for it so hopefully they wont mark too hard,any good sites for extra info on the topics?

I found wiki and Microsoft Encarta good for the reformation stuff. I read a book for the French Revolution but if you learn off the chapter Eric Hobsbawm wrote on it in his book 'Age of Revolutions' (in the library) you will have a ready made answer there. I would recommend reading more than that though, it needs to be broken up into four periods.

1) Pre 1789
    2) Girondin Period
    3) Jacobin Period
    4) The Directory

Hobsbawm only gives a general overview of the whole thing, but it is probably the best chapter on the French Revolution anywhere. The man is a legend.

How much is everyone doing study wise?

Only doing a couple of hours ever day for my exam on Thursday. Basically doing bullet points and a list of topics that need to be covered per essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Carolus Magnus

- The Black Death

Comes up every year without fail (or at least since the exam paper took the form it presently does with 3 essays to do instead of short questions + 2 essays, which was around 2005.) Same for the importance of the slave trade to colonial expansion. The early modern half of the course is pretty much intransigent right down to the phrasing of the questions.

The questions on the later modern period tend to eh, drift a bit more in terms of the precise question asked but like everyone's said already the same areas are covered (they have to be, I'd wager.) Although, one very set in stone question is always about changes to society in the wake of the industrial revolution and it's one I'm planning on doing.

Ya I agree,its the same question each year too..heres hoping they dont decide to change anything!I know wikis dangerous to use but they have a great areticle on the black death,i found it v.helpful.

Im guna cover the industrial revolution too for the same reasons. Im just studying the one history subject with the rest being economics so im just looking to pass really.

I'm taking it relatively easy with the study to be honest...couple of hours a day should be fine but it's really about how much you get done rather than the time spent.

Re: HI2001. Will questions that came up last year - specficallly the military revolution, Thirty Years War and Gustavus Adolphus - come up this year considering they were covered in another course, Force And Statecraft?

Not a notion on my part Orizio sorry.

As for HI2001...will people on here be spending about an hour per question?

As it drawas nearer the less and less comfotbale I feel about it! Probably my hardest exam of the whole lot.

Sorry not too sure either about those questions bud.im starting to feel a bit uncomfortable too,i plan on spending an hour on each but it may vary.like i could bang out my essay on the black death if it comes up which mite leave me a little extra time. Covering the reformation and industrial revolution too.

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    Not a notion on my part Orizio sorry.

As for HI2001...will people on here be spending about an hour per question?

As it drawas nearer the less and less comfotbale I feel about it! Probably my hardest exam of the whole lot.

For me, its difficult because its on at 9 30 in the morning. That means, at most, about 5 hours sleep...my mind is literally going to be dozing.

Erra five hours and a bottle of Lucozade Alert should do you fine! Really though, an hour a question...going to be a lot of twindling of the thumbs in there!

True enough.

What are people aiming for - 4 pages per essay?

ya bout 4 shud do it..if the black death..industrial revolution and reformation dont come up il be a sad sad man..

Should I try and get a couple of hours sleep or struggle through the night? I'm screwed.

How did it go for everyone?

The questions I wanted came up, Black Death, Reformation and the French Revolution so I was pretty happy though to be honest more happy that it was simply done and finished with!

Did the Black Death, Reformation and German Rev. 1848/49. Two 2.2's essays and hopefully a 2.1 one but I can't legislate for my appalling hand writing.

Orizio wrote: »
    Did the Black Death, Reformation and German Rev. 1848/49. Two 2.2's essays and hopefully a 2.1 one but I can't legislate for my appalling hand writing.

I'm a wee bit nervous. Here was my year for the core ... Machiavelli 62%, Mind mapping and the rest?? Did anybody get results from that? I'd be mid way, I think.

Today's exam was so so. I answered two questions quite well, but my section B was poor. Completely overlooked the Dickens quote! Prob due to the fact that it was ten past twelve...

I couldn't fail the module, could I?

I doubt you will fail.

Don't have any mind-map result either...

• Advertisement

I was happy enough,did the black death,prodestant reformation and the victorian era.Theres no Autumn past exam papers so id imagine they'l do everything they can to pass you.As long as you have something of substance written down you'l be ok im sure.

Corkbhoy8 wrote: »
    I was happy enough,did the black death,prodestant reformation and the victorian era.Theres no Autumn past exam papers so id imagine they'l do everything they can to pass you.As long as you have something of substance written down you'l be ok im sure.

Hmmm, reckon there's no Autumn exam papers because people have to sit the same paper, there's always going to be a few failures.

Took the same as you in section A. Got a bit freaked out when Q.2 wasn't about the rise of protestantism, till I saw the survival one, Jason Harris then settled my nerves.

Done with history for a while, I hope. Anybody tackling critical sociology on Monday?

Fabio, what question are you answering in the first section on 'The American Century' exam monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

I really need to cram for the American Century one too. I hear that he can be a bit of a prick when it comes to marking, especially if you answer a question that you already did on the in class test...

Basically you can't answer the same question you did on the in class test. Which kinda screws me for the first section.

So whereabouts is the Kampus Kitchen? Basement of Kane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

yup. down the stairs, into the corridor, turn right.

Finally finished. Already have two IH's down, so hopefully the rest will be 2.1's and 2.2.'s. The American History was alright today, one good essay and one average one.

Advertisement