Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cctv

Options
  • 02-05-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right board, the security board seems a little too PC related.

I'm looking to buy some security cameras to cover the gate of my estate. All the professional companies have quotes us thousands of euros for two camera systems which is a bit out of our budget so we're trying to do it ourselves. I have two questions:

1. Can you get wireless adaptors for regular cameras? The wireless cameras I've found don't seem to be a good as the wired ones but we can't use wireless cameras without tearing up roads.

2. Are the Professional rang cameras on this page as good as they sound? Our cameras will be on top of lamp posts, about 6m from the ground and between 10 and 15m from the gates they'll be covering. There's not a lot of light around there, mostly just dim orange street lights.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

From what I can see there none of those cameras are wireless?
    An outdoor wireless camera will not be cheap!
    Probably need more info from you to get a better solution..
    What are looking to monitor? The gates? What functions does the camera need to have? Facial recognition? Number plate recognition?
    You mentioned the distance from the pole to the gate but where will the recorder be located in relation to the camera?
    Who will be responsible for monitoring the cameras/footage?
    Bottom line I would say you HAVE to have a wired solution but it need not cost thousands for sure.
    Give as much info as possible and ill try help further.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

There is a vehicle gate and a pedestrian gate about 5m apart with a security hut in between. The DVR will go into the hut but the CCTV is really only for deterrant and post-incident review.

The camera for the pedestrian gate is fine, it can be wired and a trench dug through the grass. The cabin is set in concrete so some work might be needed to bury the cable there. The problem is with the camera for the vehicle gate. The curve of the road means that none of the lamp-posts have a clear line of sight to the vehicle gate. I'd rather not mount another pole or dig a tench across the road (cost, inconvenience, etc) which is why we'd like to use a wireless camera.

I don't think we need facial recognition, ANPR would be nice but is probably not a necessity. Hope that clears it up, cheers for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

See if there's anything here

http://www.sctltd.co.uk/index.html

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shangralia

markpb wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right board, the security board seems a little too PC related.

I'm looking to buy some security cameras to cover the gate of my estate. All the professional companies have quotes us thousands of euros for two camera systems which is a bit out of our budget so we're trying to do it ourselves. I have two questions:

1. Can you get wireless adaptors for regular cameras? The wireless cameras I've found don't seem to be a good as the wired ones but we can't use wireless cameras without tearing up roads.

2. Are the Professional rang cameras on this page as good as they sound? Our cameras will be on top of lamp posts, about 6m from the ground and between 10 and 15m from the gates they'll be covering. There's not a lot of light around there, mostly just dim orange street lights.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark
    Any look in sourcing a solution for this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I recently bought a couple of cameras from Eirsec after seeing a post on here somewhere
    The guy I dealt with is very helpful and he told me they are currently adding wireless cameras and transmitters for ordinary cameras. Don't know how long it will be before they are online, but he answers most emails very quickly

• Advertisement
Advertisement