Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wikipedia

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have some sort of link from boards to wikipedia?
    The reason why im asking is from the amount of debates that is on boards and also the amount of information that is flying through the threads and i and i guess other have to sometimes google things to find out what something is, means or about a subject matter being discussed, it could be a handy little link to have.

Just a suggestion to throw out there!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What, you mean like a [wikipedia] tag leading to the appropriate Wikipedia page? Like [wikipedia]Boards.ie[/wikipedia] turning to Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wiki? Biki FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 backonceagain

I think that boards owners would have to pay some sort of affiliation fee or something to wiki to do this. When each user has the ability to search and link to wikipedia themselves I don't see this as being something specifically useful to boardsies, perhaps just convenient, thank the lord for tabbed browsing! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

What, you mean like a [wikipedia] tag leading to the appropriate Wikipedia page?

Well yeah or a link maybe on the toobar on top of the boards page. i just thought it might be handy for some people thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. get firefox.

2. Get wiki search engine for firefox.

3. Select text, right click and search on wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

stevoman wrote: »
    Well yeah or a link maybe on the toobar on top of the boards page. i just thought it might be handy for some people thats all.
    Only if you believe what's on wikipedia.

Hobbes wrote: »
    1. get firefox.

2. Get wiki search engine for firefox.

3. Select text, right click and search on wikipedia.

Im on a server in work that wont let you download any material like that :(

Sherifu wrote: »
    Only if you believe what's on wikipedia.

Its not that bad, its not as though wer are all writing a thesis or anything! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Option 1. If you have Firefox type "wiki boards.ie" (no comma's) in the address bar and press enter. It goes directly to the page in Wiki. Works for anything that has a Wiki page.

Option 2. Stop being a lazy **** and go to Wikipedia and type in what you want. :mad:

Joe Robot wrote: »

Option 2. Stop being a lazy **** and go to Wikipedia and type in what you want. :mad:

NO:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

see see you just go to the url bar and type EN that pulls up wikipedia from your previous visits now you just delete the text after /wiki/ and type what you want to read about.

eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I thought [wiki]Cloud[/wiki] put a [noparse][wiki][/wiki][/noparse] tag in ages ago. Or maybe it was that cool double-click thing (when you double-clicked on a word, it opened up a dictionary definition of that word).

Edit: Yes he did put in the tags, but they link to the Biki.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is just a text file that gets added to the browser. And is installed already in firefox.

Ok if you can't do that then do this in firefox (may work in IE as well).

1. Create a bookmark called "Wiki look up"

2. In location put: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s

3. In keyword put: wp

after that just type in what you want in the address bar like so..

wp boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hobbes wrote: »
    It is just a text file that gets added to the browser. And is installed already in firefox.

Ok if you can't do that then do this in firefox (may work in IE as well).

1. Create a bookmark called "Wiki look up"

2. In location put: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s

3. In keyword put: wp

after that just type in what you want in the address bar like so..

wp boards.ie

theres a bb3 module to have your words link directly to wikipedia

Advertisement