Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek restaurant?.. Anywhere?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi! We're going to be near Cork city next weekend and we would like to know if there is a Greek restaurant in or around Cork city. We miss eating Greek. Also is there a Japanese on too?
    Can't wait for your replies!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I don't know of any Greek restaurants in Cork. It's surprising really, you would think there would be at least one...
    The only Japanese-ish places I know are the Wagamama noodle bar on South Main St. and the Ivory Tower off Oliver Plunkett St. The Ivory Tower is not a Japanese restaurant, but it often has dishes with Korean or Japanese touches on the menu and I think it still does a sushi + jazz night once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

any other sugestions? we are going next week and love our food! thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Do a search on the Cork City board, there are lots of restaurant threads. There's a couple of recent threads about Indian restaurants and restaurants in the Douglas area.

The Ivory Tower is very interesting, but not to everyone's taste. It is rumoured to have its off-nights, although I thought it was great on my only visit. You could easily spend €75 per head not including wine there though (sushi night might be cheaper).

I like the Triskel cafe for lunch (Tobin St.). Other good places I've been to recently are Hardwood Cafe (Pope's Quay) for Irish/American cuisine, nice weekend brunch, very good weekday lunches; Banna Thai on Maylor St; and the tried and trusted Wagamama which is more like a fast food noodle joint.

It's hard to get a good pizza in Cork these days. Maybe Casanova on North Main St is the best. Also, Fast Al's (a hatch serving takeaway pizza slices on South Main St) isn't bad.

Bon appetit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sorry I'm not going to be of much help but just in case you don't know of this website which I often use to find places to eat is

www.menupages.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Hi! We're going to be near Cork city next weekend and we would like to know if there is a Greek restaurant in or around Cork city. We miss eating Greek. Also is there a Japanese on too?
    Can't wait for your replies!!
    There was on Greek restaurant about 16 years ago above the Grand Parade hotel. It was open for few months & it was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

wasper wrote: »
    There was on Greek restaurant about 16 years ago above the Grand Parade hotel. It was open for few months & it was terrible.

In my experience Greek food is terrible too. There are none that I can think of in Cork. As for Japanese food I dont think there is one either.

Froot wrote: »
    In my experience Greek food is terrible too. There are none that I can think of in Cork. As for Japanese food I dont think there is one either.

It's a shame you haven't tasted good Greek food, it really is a gorgeous cuisine. Unfortuneatley our favourite Greek restaurant is in Rotterdam, so it's a bit far away to pop into.....shame.

Thank you everybody for your replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

It's a shame you haven't tasted good Greek food, it really is a gorgeous cuisine. Unfortuneatley our favourite Greek restaurant is in Rotterdam, so it's a bit far away to pop into.....shame.

Thank you everybody for your replies!

Yeah, I spent three months in Greece last year and I have to say I left Greece to go to Italy because I couldn't stand their food any more. Also their coffee is terrible.

Long live Italian food (and coffee) !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I've never been to a Greek restaurant. Is there even one in Ireland?

There is one in Dublin that we'll be going to very soon we hope!

• Advertisement
Advertisement