Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help: Advice needed CV Joint reaplcement cost 300?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

OK had a cv joint replaced (passenger sdie) by a garage in Naas last year and it cost 150 euro, just had one reaplced (drivers side) out in Sandyford and it's cost 300. This seesm over the odds for me, is there any reason one Garage could twice the price of another?

I was just called to say that they have fitted the cv joint and am about to pick it up, I have no problem paying just don't want to be ripped off? I really hope there's some reason for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Unfortunately there is more than likely no reason at all why there was such a difference (maybe if the 1/2shaft was changed also?). But my guess is that the garage in sandyford was a main dealer, who charge silly hourly rates and use expensive genuine parts as oppose to a smaller garage in naas which used a cheap non-genuine parts?
    Of course, there is more than likely no difference at all between a local garage and the main dealer in terms of quality of parts and level of service got. Moral of the story, stay away from the main dealers unless its a warranty issue or your trying to keep a full dealer service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Timmaay wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is more than likely no reason at all why there was such a difference (maybe if the 1/2shaft was changed also?). But my guess is that the garage in sandyford was a main dealer, who charge silly hourly rates and use expensive genuine parts as oppose to a smaller garage in naas which used a cheap non-genuine parts?
    Of course, there is more than likely no difference at all between a local garage and the main dealer in terms of quality of parts and level of service got. Moral of the story, stay away from the main dealers unless its a warranty issue or your trying to keep a full dealer service history.

+1

Also the garage in Sandyford is paying way more for rent/mortgage on their premises. The parts are more then likely the same price but labour is more then likely huge!

Someone has to pay for the shinny new showrooms.

Advertisement