Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Master

• 02-05-2008 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I felt the 3 episodes with the Master were the best I had ever seen, any chance that he might return, I know that his body was burned and he refused to regenerate but as a timelord his spirit may be reserected at some point in the future? What do people think, because honestly, I could have really enjoyed more of him.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I liked Johin Simm's portrayal, for the most part, but thought the 2-part finale was very poor (any show so blatantly employing the reset button deserves ridicule).

As to him returning - it's sci-fi, anything could happen. Personally, I resent the idea that RTD would have the nerve to kill off such an iconic character in such weak story. It is sci-fi so you can always work in an excuse to bring someone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭nothing

Well there was that whole bit of the woman laughing at the end, as he burned... So he may not be gone at all... I can only vaguely remember the end though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

ixoy wrote: »
    I liked Johin Simm's portrayal, for the most part, but thought the 2-part finale was very poor (any show so blatantly employing the reset button deserves ridicule).

I will agree there, I taught there was a way they both could have won, that they both would have been able to continue on in seperate ways. The Master was good for being essentially bad, so it would have been great for him to disappear, and then you are wondering if he will ever appear again later on in the episodes. Perhaps even an 'Alternate' reality episode where the Master assumes the role of the Doctor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The mysterious hand taking the ring was supposed to leave an opening for others to being back the Master in the future.

It was a very week 3 episodes though. Horrific even..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doctor Who seems to have a general problem with delivering on its promise insofar as multi-parters go (Which is funny given how many die hard fans bemoan the disappearance of multi-ep stories in general with the new series). Numerous examples have great first parts, and tense setups, only for the payoff to be a let down. The end of series 3 was no exception I think; "Utopia" left us gagging for more having sprung the Master on us, "The Sound of Drums" was ... curious, but it still ratcheted up the tension & left us with a helluva cliffhanger. Then it all fizzled out in the last part (aside from the moments when Tennant and Simm faced each other).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Well if you like the master
    Current talk on the doctorwhoforum is that Davros is
    returning for this seasons finale
    (this has been confirmed-he will be played by Julian Bleech).
    But the unconfirmed speculation is that Davros is secretly
    being controlled by the Master(John Simm) -
    Simm did definatly film some scenes in November
    but some think this maybe for a flashback sequence

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well if you like the master
    Current talk on the doctorwhoforum is that Davros is
    returning for this seasons finale
    (this has been confirmed-he will be played by Julian Bleech).
    But the unconfirmed speculation is that Davros is secretly
    being controlled by the Master(John Simm) -
    Simm did definatly film some scenes in November
    but some think this maybe for a flashback sequence

I actually enjoyed the first two Master eps. He deserves something more than what he got in the end.

Just because he doesn't have a regeneration is no hindrance to the Master. Sure in the 96 movie his last regeneration was murderised by the daleks and that apparently turned him into a transparent snake monster thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmmm I will be watching for dropped hints in the next episode.

How the last episode ended
    the tardis being taken over by an unseen force
    made me think of the Master
    Spurred on by the quick shot of the Doctor's hand which was last seen being used in the Masters plans, not to mention the tardis too. One last dig from the master post mortem?

Though yes ignoring the reset element of the the end of season 3 I thought it was a fantastic arc, it tied in alot better then the awful bad wolf one in the 1st season and was much more clever then the straightforward torchwood arc in season 2. And yes the John Simm version of the Master was brilliant (I've enjoyed Simm since Life on Mars.)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    hmmm I will be watching for dropped hints in the next episode.

How the last episode ended
    the tardis being taken over by an unseen force
    made me think of the Master
    Spurred on by the quick shot of the Doctor's hand which was last seen being used in the Masters plans, not to mention the tardis too. One last dig from the master post mortem?

Though yes ignoring the reset element of the the end of season 3 I thought it was a fantastic arc, it tied in alot better then the awful bad wolf one in the 1st season and was much more clever then the straightforward torchwood arc in season 2. And yes the John Simm version of the Master was brilliant (I've enjoyed Simm since Life on Mars.)

Maybe the daughters a clone or something. That would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ixoy wrote: »

Re-set's are almost always very weak, the only exception I can think of is Galaxy Quest. The thing with that ep of Doctor Who was that it was pretty obvious throughout the episode that they were going to re-set it, so it was especially disappointing when they did.

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    Maybe the daughters a clone or something. That would make sense.

That I cant understand, how the hell does the doctor have a daughter, and he appeared to know that she exsisted but was astonished to see her

1408 wrote: »
    That I cant understand, how the hell does the doctor have a daughter, and he appeared to know that she exsisted but was astonished to see her

The Doctor's very first assitant was his grand daughter, so it is well known he has had either a daughter or a son.

The Doctor's very first assitant was his grand daughter, so it is well known he has had either a daughter or a son.

Oh, that makes sense I guess, interesting she should surface now though. they seem to be pulling out all the stops with this one.

1408 wrote: »
    Oh, that makes sense I guess, interesting she should surface now though. they seem to be pulling out all the stops with this one.

I seriously doubt it will be genuine, there will be some caveat. "Last of the time lords" still has some life in it, I think.

I seriously doubt it will be genuine, there will be some caveat. "Last of the time lords" still has some life in it, I think.

Well the Doctor did mention to Rose before that he was a father I guess, but I'd be more interested to see who the mother is, and what her story is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can guarantee there's something more to this than simply "it's his daughter". His mention specifically of "DNA" suggests there's going to be a sci-fi explanation. Methinks it'll be something related to his hand.

pixelburp wrote: »
    You can guarantee there's something more to this than simply "it's his daughter". His mention specifically of "DNA" suggests there's going to be a sci-fi explanation. Methinks it'll be something related to his hand.

Maybe they will finally canonise the whole Gallifrey- loom thing?Hope not though. hand has to have something to do with it.

I hope to god not; those "New Adventures" books have a lot to answer for, coming up with a right amount of crap to be honest. Not least the decision to explain the Doctor, his origin, family and so on. The TV show re-injected much needed mystery into both the Doctor & the Time Lords. Lets keep it that way!

It's the setting of the next story that confuses me - it seems to be a general "in the future, with aliens and grime" episode, we know little else about it.

I hope to god not; those "New Adventures" books have a lot to answer for, coming up with a right amount of crap to be honest. Not least the decision to explain the Doctor, his origin, family and so on. The TV show re-injected much needed mystery into both the Doctor & the Time Lords. Lets keep it that way!

It's the setting of the next story that confuses me - it seems to be a general "in the future, with aliens and grime" episode, we know little else about it.

Perhaps like the Master story, it's set eleventybillion years in the future, so she is hidden from the reach of the time lords. Especially as most people seem to think this is some form of last stab by the Master at the Doctor.

EDIT: Can I just say its great to see such activity in this forum? :)

Perhaps like the Master story, it's set eleventybillion years in the future, so she is hidden from the reach of the time lords. Especially as most people seem to think this is some form of last stab by the Master at the Doctor.

EDIT: Can I just say its great to see such activity in this forum? :)
    Perhaps, but when the Master nabbed the Doctor's TARDIS, he could only go between the end of the universe & our modern day times. It's made quite clear there was nothing left in the universe except those last humans, so I doubt it's set during the "Utopia" period. At least I hope not, that episode had atmosphere in spades due to it being quite literally the end of time.

And yes, it's nice to chat with people about Who; the main dedicated forums are quite overwhelming & chock full of rabid fanboys. Plus the general improvement of Torchwood in series2 gave the forum a good jolt :D

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but when the Master nabbed the Doctor's TARDIS, he could only go between the end of the universe & our modern day times. It's made quite clear there was nothing left in the universe except those last humans, so I doubt it's set during the "Utopia" period. At least I hope not, that episode had atmosphere in spades due to it being quite literally the end of time.

And yes, it's nice to chat with people about Who; the main dedicated forums are quite overwhelming & chock full of rabid fanboys. Plus the general improvement of Torchwood in series2 gave the forum a good jolt :D

Yes but what happened at "Utopia?" We know they became the Toclaphane, but how?

Wild speculation of course.

Sadly I didnt get to see Torchwood 2 during air time, I am working my through it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 TheForeSkins

Apparently John Simm recorded scenes that have not been shown yet for Dr Who, pointing at a flashback or some kind of "what happened in those 18 months" thing...maybe stopping the Master before he marries Lucy

Apparently John Simm recorded scenes that have not been shown yet for Dr Who, pointing at a flashback or some kind of "what happened in those 18 months" thing...maybe stopping the Master before he marries Lucy

Wasn't there rumours that was for the Christmas special?

Ah, rumours, rumours!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

masterjb4.jpg

masterjb4.jpg

Best motivational poster, ever.

Advertisement