Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting in Ireland

Options
  • 02-05-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Would to be a good Idea to have an option to vote for none of the above on the ballot?
    if none of the above wins then a new election should take place without any of the people on the last ballot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I personally don't think it is a good idea to have that option ... If someone just doesn't want to vote for any of the people listed then they could either just not vote at all or worst case scenario, after going to the effort of turning up to vote, spoil your vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I have a "none of the above" rubber stamp a friend gave me which I've found quite useful in a number of elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

well that would be one way to spoil your vote ie. by using a rubber stamp like that one

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a big difference between "none of the above" and either abstaining or spoiling your vote.

If you abstain, you're not contributing to the "turnout" figure, and effectively voting for the winners.

If you spoil your vote, you're contributing to the "spoiled vote" figure, and effectively voting for the winners.

If you vote "none of the above", your vote is counted. In single-seat FPTP elections, if "none of the above" wins, the election must be re-run. In multi-seat PR/STV, it's harder to say what happens. One idea is that "none of the above" could win a seat, and that the election would have to be re-run to fill the remaining vacant seat (or seats).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

if the 10 people showed up for a job interview and none of them were suitable would you give one of the job anyway because they were the only people who applied?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

oscarBravo wrote: »
    There's a big difference between "none of the above" and either abstaining or spoiling your vote.

If you abstain, you're not contributing to the "turnout" figure, and effectively voting for the winners.

If you spoil your vote, you're contributing to the "spoiled vote" figure, and effectively voting for the winners.

Exactly. There is no way within our current 'democratic' structure to do any of the following:

- Express a preference for an option that isn't explicitly listed on the ballot paper.

- Express dissatisfaction with the available candidates in a way that will be counted and registered.

- Express dissatisfaction with the democratic process as currently implemented in a way that will be counted and registered.

- Cast a vote against a candidate/option that you actively don't want to win.

All these should be valid possibilities in a truly democratic process. My rubber stamp is a small gesture to an immense democratic deficit.

Advertisement