Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get HDtv for Xbox 360?

• 02-05-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Dont even have an xbox yet but with the GTA4 thing i have to get one..We have a wii thats hooked up to a 30inch plasma screen that has blotches and all sorts...So im thinking of gettin a HDTV...It wont be the main sky tv etc but it will be used for games and movies..Mainly from xbox..So what have ye guys got and reccomend? and what prices are we talkin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have a Panasonic TX32LXD70 (32") and find it to be an excellent TV. I bought it on the recommendation of the people on AVForums and here on boards.ie :)

The only thing I'm still not clear on is the actual HD resolution! Panasonic say it's only 1080i, yet the television itself and the PS3 are convinced it is 1080p :confused: Some websites say it is 1080p, others say 1080i (and no I'm not getting reviews confused with the TX32LXD700). Weird.

Either way, it's a great TV but there are cheaper HD LCD TV's out there if this is only going to be used for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

r3nu4l
    Check out the native res of you TV to find out if it is actually 1080p or i, sounds like 1080i to me, it will porbably accept a 1080p isgnal and scale it to 1080i.
    If your TV can only output 1080i, you would be better off setting it to 720p.

EDIT: I just checked out the res of your TV, its 1366 x 768, so 720p would be your best bet.

happydayz182
    There are loads of fairly sheap HDTV's out there now, depends on what size you are lookign for. If I was in the market for a HDTV at the moment I would be looking for one that runs at 100Hz, much clearer image IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cheers FuzzyWuzzyWazza :) The TV itself is 100 Hz and is nice and smooth, never had a problem yet, as for the 1080i/p thing. When I turn on the PS3 the TV tells me it's in 1080p mode...then reverts to the default 720p for COD4 etc, I haven't bothered telling the PS3 to try 1080p mode only. I'll look into it.

I'd definitely recommend 100Hz too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Whats considered cheap lol?

i would be lookin at 24-28 inch depending on price

Just for instance you could get a Philips 26'' HDTV for €600 (€540 on-line) in powercity LINKY
    With a bit of looking about at place like Argos, you could probably find some cheaper.

• Advertisement

The tv we have now does 1080i and 480p...Is this HD?

The tv we have now does 1080i and 480p...Is this HD?

480p isn't HD, but 1080i is (but the lowest usable HD setting), does your tv accept a 1080i input or does it output at 1080i?

google the make and serial of your tv and see what the native resolution is, if the number on the right hand side is bigger than 720 then you TV should ba able to output a HD signal

i also have this monitor

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331493

What resolution can i get and how would i then get sound?

i also have this monitor

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331493

What resolution can i get and how would i then get sound?

With that monitor you can output 720p, as the highest possible standard HD resolution.
    However the VGA connector has a large range of resolutions outside the standard HD ones, so you can find one that will closly match 1440x900, just don't exceed these numbers.

To be honest, anything smaller that 37'' and you won't be able to tell the differance between 1080p and 720p, well maybe if you are sitting on top of your tv.

The VGA connection supplies sound via the red and white audio connectors, same as the ones you are currently using on your TV. You can connect these to a stero to get sound, or there is a adaptor to convert these to a mini-jack, and you could plug this directly into a pair of speakers.
    xbox%20360%20vga%20cable.jpg
    img00057cu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

r3nu4l
    Check out the native res of you TV to find out if it is actually 1080p or i, sounds like 1080i to me, it will porbably accept a 1080p isgnal and scale it to 1080i.
    If your TV can only output 1080i, you would be better off setting it to 720p.

EDIT: I just checked out the res of your TV, its 1366 x 768, so 720p would be your best bet.

happydayz182
    There are loads of fairly sheap HDTV's out there now, depends on what size you are lookign for. If I was in the market for a HDTV at the moment I would be looking for one that runs at 100Hz, much clearer image IMO.

Hey FuzzyWuzzyWazza u seem to know about this..
    I have a Lexsor 32" (not a well known brand to say the least with sh1te contrast ratio) that's 1080i. Why is it better to use the 360 on 720p than 1080i, afaik there would be more pixels in 1080i therefore giving a better picture?? Heard of this suggestion before and tried it only to change back to 1080i as I didn't notice an improvement. I'd be viewing about 8/9ft from screen and it's on a component connection on 360, there's no HDMI slots.
    Also I have RRoD on 360, say if they replaced it with a new one or I bought a new one with the HDMI output can it be connected via component cables (the 5 wires)?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    Hey FuzzyWuzzyWazza u seem to know about this..
    I have a Lexsor 32" (not a well known brand to say the least with sh1te contrast ratio) that's 1080i. Why is it better to use the 360 on 720p than 1080i, afaik there would be more pixels in 1080i therefore giving a better picture?? Heard of this suggestion before and tried it only to change back to 1080i as I didn't notice an improvement. I'd be viewing about 8/9ft from screen and it's on a component connection on 360, there's no HDMI slots.
    Also I have RRoD on 360, say if they replaced it with a new one or I bought a new one with the HDMI output can it be connected via component cables (the 5 wires)?

Cheers

Keith, haha I have the same TV in my bedroom.

I am not all that clued in when it comes to this sort of stuff, but the reason I would pick 720p over 1080i on that particuler TV is that it more closley matches the native resolution of the screen.

Supposidly a 1080i signal is only giving you 540 verticle lines per frame, where as a 720p is 720 verticle lines per frame.
    IE; i = interlaced image p = progressive scan image
    But as pointed out on here before that only really applies to a brodcast signal, not one from a games console.

Personally I can see some bluring (slight) at 1080i on my TV, this is due to the TV scaling the input image to the native resolution of the screen. So the closer the input resolution the less problems with the output image.

The TV accepts a D-SUB connection, VGA, so you could try that, I currently have my PS3 hooked up this way via HDMI through a HDMI - VGA adpator, gives a good image, much better than I would of thought it would. HD video looks very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Keith, haha I have the same TV in my bedroom.

I am not all that clued in when it comes to this sort of stuff, but the reason I would pick 720p over 1080i on that particuler TV is that it more closley matches the native resolution of the screen.

Supposidly a 1080i signal is only giving you 540 verticle lines per frame, where as a 720p is 720 verticle lines per frame.
    IE; i = interlaced image p = progressive scan image
    But as pointed out on here before that only really applies to a brodcast signal, not one from a games console.

Personally I can see some bluring (slight) at 1080i on my TV, this is due to the TV scaling the input image to the native resolution of the screen. So the closer the input resolution the less problems with the output image.

The TV accepts a D-SUB connection, VGA, so you could try that, I currently have my PS3 hooked up this way via HDMI through a HDMI - VGA adpator, gives a good image, much better than I would of thought it would. HD video looks very good.

Get you now. I can say the only game I noticed this flicker on would have been PES games but I'll try the 720p for a while when I get a new Xbox. Gonna get arcade version today I think after I find out about falcon chips etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hey guys seen this thread and hope i hijacking it in a good way :)

it is from my thread in ps3 forum,maybe some of you guys can give me a hand!thanks in advance!

HDTV:what is the price range for a 36'/40' HDTV?defo getting a 1080p output now i guess?but depends on the price i think any good performance hdtv ,say 32' 720p looks good enough ya?any model guide from sony/samsung/toshiba etc brand has a balance in price and performance?good value choices?

another thread here seems like a great help too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055257195&highlight=hdtv

Advertisement