Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long is a piece of string? (Room Sizes!)

• 02-05-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I understand what I'm about to ask is about the same as asking the title of this thread.
    BUT:-

Can anyone give me guidelines on standard sizes of rooms.

My plans are nearing completion, & the closer it gets the more nervous I am that I'm making a mistake.

I'm not talking about a mansion, nor am I talking about a 2 up, 2 down.
    I'm building a 2600 sq ft 4 bed house. I'm having to compromise some because I want a large hall with a central stair case.

So, in your opinion, in a 2600sq ft house, what makes a good size
    - double bedroom
    - ensuite
    - living room
    - office
    - utility (closed off room)
    - main bathroom (jacuzzi style bath, shower, toilet & sink)
    - hotpress

For those of you with hindsight on your side, did you build some rooms too small? If so, what are the rooms, what size were they, & why you think them too small?

I don't want to post my plans online, but if any of you are a dab hand in the oul planning area & would like a look to advise me better, just PM me.

Otherwise, a general discussion of average room sizes will be fine.

Here is what mine currently are on paper:- (Advice welcome)
    - double bedrooms (All in & around 3.8 x 4.1m)
    - ensuite (1 x 2.5m)
    - living room (4.5 x 5m)
    - office (2.4 x 2.5m)
    - utility (closed off room) (2.3 x 2.7m)
    - main bathroom (jacuzzi style bath, shower, toilet & sink) (2.5 x 3.2m)
    - hotpress (1 x 1.6m)

Thanks again for all your help!
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Ensuite, Utility and hotpress are the only ones that may be too small, 1.2m wide for the ensuite may be a more comfortable size.
    A utility room size will be purely a personal choice, if its just for storing bins etc. then its probably grand but if its going to be used for iorning, laundry, storage of hoover, brushes, coats etc. then do a bit more research. Bedrooms all seem good standard sized but maybe push the boat out a bit for the master bedroom and incorporate a small seating area (personal choice again, some people wont see the point in this). Lots of people like a big hotpress, but with current Factory insulated cylinders and the trend to insulate all distribution pipework they arent really hot presses any more (if you want to use it as one put in a rad).

I personally hate large hallways with the sweeping staircases. I think they are pointless and a waste of money and space (realistically how much time are you going to spend in your hallway admiring it) The hallway is the place in the house with the highest ceilings meaning it takes longest to heat and all your doors open from it, probably including the external doors, meaning the heat doesnt even stay in it very long. I know people want the guests first impression to be wow but its pure architectural bling. I would much rather put the space into a larger living room or a seperate dining room, some area that will actually be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thanks Slig.
    That's reassuring!

Without a complete overhaul, I don't know if there's much more room for playing around with the sizes, so it's reassuring to know that the main rooms seem ok for size.

Thanks,
    BB

Advertisement