Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista vs WinXP for gaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

If you're playing games that aren't on the bleeding edge like Counter Strike or World Of Warcraft Ubuntu 8.04 really does run them better and even COD4 runs under wine these days. Just something to consider if you haven't got an uber PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

LA3G wrote: »
    If you're playing games that aren't on the bleeding edge like Counter Strike or World Of Warcraft Ubuntu 8.04 really does run them better and even COD4 runs under wine these days. Just something to consider if you haven't got an uber PC.

Are u talking about emulation LA3G?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

For all intents and purposes yes, though the program I use for it is called WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). It gives you a choice of Windows OS modes in which to run the game but I'm not exactly sure why technically it's not called an emulator. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, Core 2 Duo 4200 @ 1.80Ghz and 1 GB or ram and I get a major performance boost playing games like this. Guides and the list of the 27,000 games that are confirmed to work is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

kaimera wrote: »
    You didnt read it properly.

It just allows Vista to display the full 4gigs of ram. A 32bit os cant address over 3.25gigs.
    I heard on de innernet that you need to subtract from that your GFX card memory (double for crossfire etc) and swop file size too.... but dunno for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

kaimera wrote: »
    You didnt read it properly.

It just allows Vista to display the full 4gigs of ram. A 32bit os cant address over 3.25gigs.

how pointless is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I heard on de innernet that you need to subtract from that your GFX card memory (double for crossfire etc) and swop file size too.... but dunno for sure.

Xp/Vista can use exactly 3.2 gigs of memory in total. Use, not see. That includes memory on Gfx cards. So if you have a 1gig card, then the 32bit OS can effectively only use 2.2 gigs.

No single application running on a 32bit OS can use more then 2 gigs of system memory.

Swap file does not register as memory address allocations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MooseJam wrote: »
    how pointless is that
    lose/lose for MS and it aint even their fault.

Dont display the full amount and people bitch about where their RAM is gone.

Display it and people think they can use all 4gigs.

how pointless is that

It was quite a good idea, since 4+gigs of ram has become common the amount of people bitching on the internet that Windows only sees 3.2gigs is amazing. The amount of phone calls Microsoft and relevant hard-ware support lines have been getting must have been so bad that they actually bothered doing it.

Now it sees the ram(motherboard dependant) so they won't ring/complain any more.

I've got 8800gt sli and 2 gigs ram, I'm guessing it would be totally pointless buying more so, is it possible to upgrade from vista to vista 64 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im going building a new rig soon,would ye recommend I use vista 64?

• Advertisement

I've got 8800gt sli and 2 gigs ram, I'm guessing it would be totally pointless buying more so, is it possible to upgrade from vista to vista 64 ?

Its not pointless buying more, you will end up using most of it. Just not that last fifth. If you have a proper copy of Vista then you have the option at install to install a 64bit or 32bit client. But OEM licenses only come in 32bit flavour. I think its so OEM's can market the 64bit as more expensive,
    Im going building a new rig soon,would ye recommend I use vista 64?

Yes, I use it myself and have seen no ill effects for 5 months. Its handy for the extra ram(due to caching) and games will start using 64bit extensions soon as they are hitting the limits of what a 32bit OS can handle. Age of Conan is a good example.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

age of conan needs 4gbs of ram :-o?

Its not pointless buying more, you will end up using most of it. Just not that last fifth. If you have a proper copy of Vista then you have the option at install to install a 64bit or 32bit client. But OEM licenses only come in 32bit flavour. I think its so OEM's can market the 64bit as more expensive,

yes but I've got 2 gigs already and 1 gig video memory so if I went out and bought another 2 gigs I could only use 250 megs ? am I right in thinking that, someone said 3.25 is the max a 32 bit os could address

age of conan needs 4gbs of ram :-o?

From what I have read AOC uses 64bit memory allocations in a 32bit app. Which is really odd but seems to work.
    yes but I've got 2 gigs already and 1 gig video memory so if I went out and bought another 2 gigs I could only use 250 megs ? am I right in thinking that, someone said 3.25 is the max a 32 bit os could address

Sorry most people don't have 1 gig memory cards. But the game would need to use 1 gig of textures in order for that to happen and from my understanding most don't. In your case though I would say get 64bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

If you have a proper copy of Vista then you have the option at install to install a 64bit or 32bit client. But OEM licenses only come in 32bit flavour. I think its so OEM's can market the 64bit as more expensive,

OEM comes in either 32bit only or 64bit only versions. both are priced the same more or less.

Home premium 32bit @€;92.50
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350140

Home premium 64bit @€;93
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350141

uberpixie wrote: »
    OEM comes in either 32bit only or 64bit only versions. both are priced the same more or less.

Home premium 32bit @€;92.50
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350140

Home premium 64bit @€;93
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350141

Both are priced the same on Komplett, spec up a pc in Dell and tell me how much it costs to go to 64bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ive been using Vista64 bit for about 2 months and its been fine for gaming.
    The onyl problem i have is that occasionally ill get a blue screen of death but its quite rare.
    Playing STALKER, ET:QW, Crysis, Gears of war, HL ep 2 & TF2, and not had any problems or hitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

vista has a lot of unnecessary services running by default.
    You can speed it up very noticeably by turning these off.
    I was a little overzealous when I did it on my old laptop (though I noticed a BIG difference): I found myself having to go through the disabled services to do things like network it with another computer.
    So it's a better idea to make two bat files to turn services off and on for when you are playing a game or some other intensive task. Also this way you can turn off stuff like virus protection that you don't want to stop permanently but might like to disable for your gaming session
    ( Make sure you know what each service does before you turn it off of course. You can google to find out usually )

here's a howto that probably works:

http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?p=256306

Advertisement