Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is NTL 12mb BB rating? opinions wanted

Options
  • 02-05-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any comments on NTLs 12mb BB. I got a phone call yesterday from a rep telling me that they have just upgraded my area. I immediately jumped down his throat "DOES THAT MEAN I CAN ORDER BROADBAND?" "yes" he said. Long story short I ordered the 12mb costing €40p/m on top of my TV package which includes a free router i think. This sounded like a call from heaven because I have been a bitterly disappointed Clearwire customer since late January and i'm sorry I didn't consult the boards first but I had little option. Also Eircom was not an option either. I had a brand new line installed by them and Eircom BB IS available in my area (i can pick up 4 wireless eircom signals right now) but strangely it was not available to me through my brand new line. wonder if it's because i reported their sorry asses to comreg for trying to make me pay the previous owners bill....

Anyway. Enough ranting.....Any inside news on the NTL BB? I know their customer care is the best in the world and all but how is the BB?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Broadband is fine in my view, works pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks Cabaal. even that small sentence helps put my mind at ease. i've been waiting 3 years for ntl bb to be available in this area. they kept saying "it'll be 6 months" up until last month. then the call came out of the blue. i'm chuffed now because i've been suffering with clearwire for too long. 2 year contract??? not a chance ther're sticking me with that bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mivec

id also like to know im moving into a new house next week and have ordered the 12mb line wondering what the contention ratio is gonna be like etc as nobody i know has ntl broadband

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

If you're a bittorrent user you might want to look elsewhere, apparently NTL are unfriendly towards p2p software.

But I suppose if your options are really that limited you may as well sign up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Phlann wrote: »
    If you're a bittorrent user you might want to look elsewhere, apparently NTL are unfriendly towards p2p software.

Clearwire are on of the worst for port blocking. I think they also throttle but am unsure. In any case, UPC will be better than Clearwire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Ive never really had any problems with it so i would be happy in recommending to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lately torrents work badly for me on eircom

i keep get the error mapping failed no matter which port i try.

i think alot of isps throttle, im not a heavy downloader typically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

:lol: a friend had Clearwire, trust me you'd be better off going back to dial up than keeping clearwire.

I'd jump to NTL in a second if I was with Clearwire. They do restrict torrents but most people say they are getting 30KB/s around here on them and that's what they are complaining abou which is fine IMHO. Compared to Clearwire, its fine anyway.

I think you should move but I'm not an NTL customer, just reading opinions around here for a while as I'm thinking of switching to them (half to convince the housemates though as living in rented accomodation).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Couple of posts deleted for warez talk. Remember: talking about warez, even indirectly, will get you banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

No probs here, 2 months into contract, first 6 then 12meg, yes, there is somethin funny happening to torrents but you get them eventually, use Rapidshare mostly and it flys. If you told me 6 months ago I could down 100mb in a couple of minutes I would have called the men in the white coats...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

cheers for the posts guys. I have the ntl installed since yesterday afternoon. The guys were in and out in 10 minutes and were kind enough to leave the codes on my desktop if i wanted to install to other computers. I got the wireless router which is a big plus because of what i said in my OP. I haven't focused much on speeds and know nothing about torrents but compared to Clearwire this NTL is heaven versus hell. I've packed up the "Clearly not BB equipment" and i'll be drop kicking it back to their head offices. the 12mb ntl is only a tenner more expensive than the considerably lower speeds of clearwire 1/2mb and I got the router thrown in saving me 50 euro comparing to clearwires asking price of 80 or 90 euro for a router. I reckon i've made the right choice. Hope i don't eat those words in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I hope everything runs smooth for you and hope in a few weeks you will report back on how its been running for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This is often repeated bogus "fact", torrents work fine, cannot speak for other p2p software

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This is often repeated bogus "fact", torrents work fine, cannot speak for other p2p software

I am not going to say that it is "fact" but it is the case, at least for me and by the sounds of it many other people aswell. I rarely get over 100 KB down on a torrent, infact I would be lucky to get it over 2 or 3 torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'm due to have the 12mb BB installed tomorrow afternoon. Assuming all goes well I'll let you guys know how that goes and how it works. Where I am is (I think) an area that has only recently been opened up for UPC BB, so I'm hoping for low contention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I am not going to say that it is "fact" but it is the case, at least for me and by the sounds of it many other people aswell. I rarely get over 100 KB down on a torrent, infact I would be lucky to get it over 2 or 3 torrents.

Have you changed default ports and turned encryption on? I have and mostly get spedds of 400 plus.

Indeed I have, although admittidly it was a few months ago that I tried. Its so bad that I don't even use torrents anymore.

I'm pretty sure NTL have openly stated that they use traffic-shaping technology to limit bittorrent speeds (at least during peak hours).

Have a look through the NTL/UPC traffic shaping thread and you'll find plenty of complaints about it.

I notice you're in Galway... funnily enough, my friends are on NTL in Galway too and tell me they've never had any trouble with bt speeds there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Nope, I'm in Galway and no BT problems for me. I only download (legal) music through BT, and it usually floats along at about 400kb/s. (on the 6mb service). Thats perfectly good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Nope, I'm in Galway and no BT problems for me. I only download (legal) music through BT, and it usually floats along at about 400kb/s. (on the 6mb service). Thats perfectly good enough for me.

I'm in Oranmore. How come you get 6Mbps? I thought the highest you could get with them was either 3 Mbps or 8 Mbps (but only in certain areas: Dublin, Kildare...).
    I thought of switching to NTL for a minute, but I'm very satisfied with BT. The speed is amazingly fast, the connection stable. When I download torrents, I often reach the 250-300Kb/s range, which is good for 3Mbps. They never throttled me or charged me for exceeding the download cap...
    All that for 56 euros, pretty hard to beat in Galway...
    Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the speed 12Mbps-subscribers manage to reach? It should be around 1Mb/s...

• Advertisement

He means BT as in 'bit torrent', I assume he's on NTL.

Esat BT don't currently provide a 6 meg package, as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Had the technician call out to the house today to install the 12 meg broadband.

He took one look at the connection on the roof and said "other" cables haven't been updated.

So the grey NTL cable is on the side of my house because I remember them installing it...but there are no extra cables coming out of it to test the line.....the tech guy agreed the right cable was there but some extra were missing...

I knew this would happen as the exact same thing happened to a friend one street up two days ago...I rang NTL on Friday to confirm my suspicions but they said everything was in place...of course, I never believe NTL until the service is actually working...

So the sales and account guys in NTL say everything is activated and in place, but the tech guys say the right cables are not coming from the box....

The tech guy said he turned up on a street one day with 3 calls and the same thing happened..

So, for those with 12 meg broadband, the right cable is going alongside my house delivering the service to the street, but nobody can access it???

The old black cables are there delivering the old signals, but not the new one..

Anyone have this problem before and how did they get it rectified??? As in, how do I explain the problem to the Accounts people?

Thanks...thank god I didn't get rid of my 2mb eircom line just yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

regards ntl and torrents....port forwarding. The router is the problem, not the ISP. The Netgear routers are cheap. You need to open ports for certain apps, and that includes gaming.

regards ntl and torrents....port forwarding. The router is the problem, not the ISP. The Netgear routers are cheap. You need to open ports for certain apps, and that includes gaming.

There's a 20 page thread at the top of this forum detailing the issue and the efforts users have made to circumvent it. Thread also includes, I believe, links to articles which confirm that NTL is controlling the use of BitTorrent technology over their networks, mostly during peak hours (but not necessarily limited to those times).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

He means BT as in 'bit torrent', I assume he's on NTL.

Esat BT don't currently provide a 6 meg package, as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, thats it. I'm on NTL, when I said BT I meant Bittorrent. Didnt think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Well with forwarded ports I was getting up to 900kb/s on a good ratio BT. The ports on the router are now closed and my IP is not static anymore. This is not an NTL issue, as this happened recently. I also have gaming connection issues as a result. This whole issue of speed throttling has been going on a hell of a lot longer than my network problems, and while these issues were being talked about I was getting excellent down speeds. The problem is that most people use the BB out of the box, without proper network configuration. Static IP's and port forwarding are required for effective BT speeds, as your app cannot find the ports to connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

My bad. Was very tired when I read this post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Indeed I have, although admittidly it was a few months ago that I tried. Its so bad that I don't even use torrents anymore.

You are very obviosuly not familiar with torrent technology from listening to the success of others on this post.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You are very obviosuly not familiar with torrent technology from listening to the success of others on this post.

Well that seems somewhat hostile, and you are indeed incorrect. I was a member of a well known private tracker before, and they are VERY strict about keeping your ratio up and making sure that you only used their tracker system, not peering directly to other users, so I am reasonably familiar with how torrents work ;) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Well that seems somewhat hostile, and you are indeed incorrect. I was a member of a well known private tracker before, and they are VERY strict about keeping your ratio up and making sure that you only used their tracker system, not peering directly to other users, so I am reasonably familiar with how torrents work ;) .

Oh how I miss D*m*n**d :)

Advertisement