Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is NTL 12mb BB rating? opinions wanted

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Oh how I miss D*m*n**d :)

Meh... that was an awful tracker compared to the actual private trackers.

OT. Not having got NTL myself, I can only quote comments from colleagues that have it. Speeds are generally okay, but contention ratios are a bit high, so your speeds can drop when the line gets busy. With encryption forced, and ports opened and 8meg line regularly gets 400kbps on a well seeded torrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Meh... that was an awful tracker compared to the actual private trackers.

++
    OT. Not having got NTL myself, I can only quote comments from colleagues that have it. Speeds are generally okay, but contention ratios are a bit high, so your speeds can drop when the line gets busy. With encryption forced, and ports opened and 8meg line regularly gets 400kbps on a well seeded torrent.

NTL don't have an 8 meg line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'm due to have the 12mb BB installed tomorrow afternoon. Assuming all goes well I'll let you guys know how that goes and how it works. Where I am is (I think) an area that has only recently been opened up for UPC BB, so I'm hoping for low contention!

Installation delayed till tomorrow evening. They gave me good notice and explained the issue. Slightly off-putting but I guess if it were BT Ireland they just would have failed to show up and then offered an explanation after my third phonecall to them. On that note I have to go make my third phonecall in my ongoing effort to cancel BT.

Installation delayed till tomorrow evening. They gave me good notice and explained the issue. Slightly off-putting but I guess if it were BT Ireland they just would have failed to show up and then offered an explanation after my third phonecall to them. On that note I have to go make my third phonecall in my ongoing effort to cancel BT.

Been happy enough with my dealings with UPC up until now, but as of Monday found out that my installation is delayed until Friday. Was not informed of this, found out by accident during a call from the UPC house move team who were planning to come and install analogue TV the day after my digital TV and BB were due until I set them straight... starting to get that BT/Eircom feeling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Can we get an idea of how many people have been upgraded from 6 to 12 and what area you are living in? Anyone who has post here and let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have 12mb NTL here in Waterford. I'm downloading from usenet at (at least) 11.3mbps. :p

272265980.png

benifa wrote: »
    I have 12mb NTL here in Waterford. I'm downloading from usenet at (at least) 11.3mbps. :p

272265980.png

Are you a new customer or did you get upgraded from 6 to 12megs?

mickger wrote: »
    Are you a new customer or did you get upgraded from 6 to 12megs?

Existing customer on 3 meg + analogue TV.

I called to cancel my account so that I could join as a new customer and get 12 meg without TV for €46 per month, 1st 2 months half price, + free wireless router.

Disconnections rep matched the new customer offer for me there and then, and my speed jumped from 3 to 12 meg just 5 minutes later. :D

272871126.png

12mb Chorus NTL in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Existing customer got upgraded about 3 weeks ago and living in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Existing customer got upgraded about 3 weeks ago and living in Dublin.

Nope not all customers have been upgraded. I am on the original 6 Mb package waiting to get upgraded to 12 Mb.

Nope not all customers have been upgraded. I am on the original 6 Mb package waiting to get upgraded to 12 Mb.

Yep me too and am in Waterford. Rang them about 6 times to get upgraded but no luck.:mad:

mickger wrote: »
    Yep me too and am in Waterford. Rang them about 6 times to get upgraded but no luck.:mad:

Do what I did. :cool:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If you are an existing pagage on the 3mb package and are looking for the free upgrade to 6mb, then you will have to wait, however, if you are looking to go to the full 12 mg package, that can be done straight away. Give tech support a call and tell them exactly what you are looking to do. It may cost you €10 for changing packages.

All existing customers who are looking for the upgrade of their existing package should be complete by 7th June.

I was given this information from a "team leader" as they like to call themselves within UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Just got a 12mb line on Friday.

One thing I noticed is that the line is better hooked up via Ethernet than going via wireless...

There is a short time delay when operating over wireless using their netgear equipment...better if the router is hooked up directly....

The Line is fantastic though...very happy with it....

Took them a long time to upgrade the area but the 2 year wait has been worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Jokah wrote: »
    Just got a 12mb line on Friday.

One thing I noticed is that the line is better hooked up via Ethernet than going via wireless...

There is a short time delay when operating over wireless using their netgear equipment...better if the router is hooked up directly....

The Line is fantastic though...very happy with it....

Took them a long time to upgrade the area but the 2 year wait has been worth it....

I just got 12mb today but speedtest.net shows a down speed of 2mb. I'm using wireless as my old desktop doesn't have a network card. NTL support are baffled. Did you find that the wireless made that much of a difference? Did it take a day or two to get up to speed?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

What I noticed was the desktop, when using the supplied NetGear USB wireless key, the connection was slow but acceptable...only hitting about 9mb download.....when I hooked the desktop up to ethernet directly..the connection speed did improve and went up to the top speed then of about 10.8-10.9mb

Now I did this type of testing over a week at various times during the day to compare the results and it was quicker via ethernet...

But of course, wireless will always be that small bit slower..

I got a brand new laptop recently and that responds to the connection very well..that connects via wireless and the two work very well together.

I consistently get a great connection speed whatever time of day and the connection was fast from the moment I tested it...I have had it just under a month now...

Happy to date..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hey guys. Not far from a year later I can say that everything is good with NTL. That's a big surprise. Speed seems fine although i dont test it but its fine for me. I use it wirelessly all the time and i have not had any down time to date. Although the tv is still ****e.

Advertisement