Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are landlords meant to show property while still occupied?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have given our 45 days notice that we are not renewing rent, Are they allowed to show the property while we are still living there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

It tends to be standard practice. Generally speaking, there would be an agreement that you are notified in advance of someone having a look. If it is not owner occupied, I would ask for a minimum of 24 hours notice.

If you don't allow it, you could be jeopardising your deposit though, as a landlord would like to have someone in straight away after one tenant vacates a property, so by not allowing the property to be shown , you are in essence minimising the landlords chances of finding someone, if you see what I mean. I would say speak to your landlord about it, and see what kind of agreement you can come to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks, thats grand just thought i had heard that somewhere.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Unless its explicitly written in your lease you don't have to. The landlord is allowed inspect his property with reasonable notice. This does not include showing other potential tenants around. Llandlord is not entitled to hold your deposit. Missing money when in between tenants is one of the costs of renting so don't feel too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If the landlords want it cleaned etc. when doing showings or want specific times, charge them by the hour.

Advertisement