Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website launch tasks

Options
  • 02-05-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a non-expert planning a website launch in the true project planning sense i.e. tasks and durations and cost

Complete Site content comes from a 3rd party who wont have launch responsilities.

Tasks (feel free to add)

-Register a URL with authorities i.e. and .com.
    WHO fROM FOR EACH? HOW LONG from application for each ? EST COST?

-Get site hosted
    HOW LONG ? from application ]

-Other related tasks ?

Thanks
    SPin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

If you get too much into learning technical details in advance of securing a developer then your project planning exercise will extend the critical path.

In your position I'd ask the people doing the development to provide most of the details, that work is likely to be on the critical path, though content provision tends to be drawn out. The developer will first need template content, eg, what's the sitemap, what menu do you need, color scheme logo etc, the stuff that appears on every page in the site.

The developer also needs sample page content, and to know how the publishing workflow is going to work, who will have access to add update delete content and will this be across the site or will certain users have access to certain areas and functions, eg, authors and editors for subsections.

Registering the .ie and .com domains should be done asap with a hosting provider (eg blacknight.ie, hosting365.ie etc) before someone else gets them. The .com can be done in 10 mins. The .ie domain registration can be started in 10mins, but will require proof of entitlement to the name before it can be completed, eg a cert of business name registration from the CRO.
    Budget say 75 euro for the year and that it'll be complete by next Friday.

Separate from domain name hosting are website and email hosting, the developers can advise who to go with and what plan based on the amount of content and site features required. These can all be different hosting providers, but far easier if you use one company for the lot, unless you have very specific email, spam filtering, disk space, bandwidth, platform etc requirements that may affect the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Normally, I'd be all for giving you a few pointers as to where to start. However, it looks, to me, like you just want everyone to do your job for free. Consider having a profressional, or someone with experience doing the job. I can't answer any of your questions as they are all how-long-is-a-piece-of-string type replies. You'll get much more helpful responses if you do a small bit of research by yourself and ask specific questions.

Also, we're not allowed to discuss hosting on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Thanks to those here who had helpful inputs ;-)

Freelance professional required now for small job:

Advert at http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=55210

Spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

from the advert ... erm ... starts April 9th ???

*gets the delorean out of the garage*

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

oops. May 9th . thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you're looking to offer work, please take it to adverts.ie.

Advertisement