Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's my car worth?

Options
  • 02-05-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey. I'm selling my car soon. I want to do it privately. Here's the spec:

1998 Starlet. Navy Blue. 147,000 KILOMETRES on the clock. One large-ish dent on the side. NCT up until Sept "08. In prefect working order, has never given an ounce of trouble. Taxed up until end of June.

What should I be looking for for it? obviously the value isn't high, so I want to make sure I get what I should for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'd say you should get €1500 for it without the dent. It's high enough milage compared to whats out there and its a buyer market. So how large is the dent, is it just a dent or is the paintwork or body actually damaged, might be worth getting fixed before you sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'd say you should get €1500 for it without the dent. It's high enough milage compared to whats out there and its a buyer market. So how large is the dent, is it just a dent or is the paintwork or body actually damaged, might be worth getting fixed before you sell it.

It's a respectable dent. Garage quoted me E1100 to fix it. I tried to offer the car to a different garage and they said they couldn't give me anything for it as the cost of the dent is equal to the value of the car, apparently. That's why I need to sell it privately. It's a great car, 1.4litre, good as gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Surely it has 147,000 miles as opposed to km on the clock? Or is it an import(which would make it worth less again)? 147k miles is not a lot for a Toyota, they seem to just run and run, but 147k miles will scare a lot of people.

How big is the dent? Could we see a photo rather than an opinion of sorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fix it in a small private garage as cheaply as possible then sell it. You are only going to have a few hundred out of it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well spotted the E92, thats fairly astronomical milage from a small runabout like a starlet. If you have a picture of the dent stick it up here. If its not too bad, dont bother getting it fixed, slap it on carzone.ie and in the buy&sell, but be honest about the dent. Someone could well be looking for a cheap car and seening as they're buying an old car anyway the fact it has a dent might not bother thet too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's worth €2,000 without the damage, and around €1750 without.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's worth €2,000 without the damage, and around €1750 without.

You're probably on the ball there. Those values seem very high, but there are buyers out there willing to pay a huge premium for an old Starlet. Bless them :)

Advertisement