Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple progress Bars

• 02-05-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I just installed a piece of software there and was happily watching the progress bar crawl ever closer to complete, well when it did it goes back to zero as another progress bar starts up, what's the point of a progress bar if it doesn't track progress, stupid software developers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Did it have any components written above this progress bar, perhaps showing the progress of that particular section of the software installation...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Next seriously

My personal gripe is the way Vista and Ubuntu have the sweeping bar that gives you no indication of progress

back in the old days of wordstar, they used a flashing font to say "Working" , and it would stay that way even if the pc crashed.

I suspect that its just palette cycling instead of showing a useful % done or better yet steps done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Soundman wrote: »
    Did it have any components written above this progress bar, perhaps showing the progress of that particular section of the software installation...?

no, nothing to indicate this was a progress bar showing x part of the install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

With exceptions , the crappier the installer the crappier the software tbh .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nessyguin wrote: »
    With exceptions , the crappier the installer the crappier the software tbh .
    And the uninstaller is always crappier still :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What pisses me off with some of these wonderful installers you see is that it has a progress bar, it takes maybe 30 seconds to get to 50%, then maybe 3 or 4 minutes to get to 75%. Not very accurate is it?

dulpit wrote: »
    What pisses me off with some of these wonderful installers you see is that it has a progress bar, it takes maybe 30 seconds to get to 50%, then maybe 3 or 4 minutes to get to 75%. Not very accurate is it?

The first 50% may just be extraction or a relatively fast part of the installation which explains why it could be done in 30 seconds or whatever, whereas the latter 50% might be more intense installation including registering, installation itself, removal of set-up files and so on.

Soundman wrote: »
    The first 50% may just be extraction or a relatively fast part of the installation which explains why it could be done in 30 seconds or whatever, whereas the latter 50% might be more intense installation including registering, installation itself, removal of set-up files and so on.
    Yes, but then that first "50%" wouldn't really be 50% then, would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Of progress relating to time, no. Of progress relating to installation, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

So progress bars are completely pointless. I think all they really indicate is that the machine/software/download is still working and hasn't crashed on you.

Even the whole "3 minutes remaining" thing is useless, because most of the time 3 minutes means 20 seconds.

• Advertisement

Of course it would. Think about it. An installation that is 50% through the installation is still 50% through regardless of how long it took.

eg:

You are running a marathon. You have the energy to do the first 13 miles in an hour but you expend yourself and the second 13 miles takes 2 hours to complete. Does that still mean that the first 13 miles wasn't 50% of the marathon??????????????

(and yes I am saying that a marathon is 26 miles for this example as opposed to 26 miles 385 yards)

Ok, well then i'd prefer if progress bars gave an indication of time remaining, not the amount of work that has to be done (which is irrelevant for the user)

Thing is though, time remaining would depend on the computer, what software is running, processor speed and so on, not to mention whether the software installing is having to update anything or uninstall, etc, etc, etc...

It would be a bit unrealistic for the installation program to be able to figure it out so it's just easier for it to show work done rather than time left.

Advertisement