Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me look on bright side pleeease!!!

Options
  • 02-05-2008 6:10pm

K, trying to be coy with details but...
    Basically I had my eye on a job coming up, my bf meets 'the boss' socially and 'the boss' was dropping hints over a few months that I might be suitable for an even better job. Delighted! Nothing definite but delighted nonetheless. Bf rings today to say 'the boss' offered him the great job!!! Sickened!!! Bf is clearly happy and telling me all about it, "Oh you're going to be raging cos blah blah" And I'm going "Why would I be raging?" Him : "Cos it would have been sooo perfect for you blah blah"
    Money and stuff aren't really an issue here, just that it's making me feel the original job is ****ty v. the one I nearly got... I know, get over it... Help me to? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Um...under what circumstances did your boyfriend meet the boss socially? Did he arrange the meeting or something?? Did you know that he was going for the same job?

You never know what's just around the corner. If you take this original job & work hard, the boss will see how good a worker you are & a promotion may be on the cards sooner than you think!

It didn't occur to me bf might be considered for the job and I def don't think he went after it. There's a high turnover of staff so I guess there could be staff shuffling after a while... I'm just so annoyed with myself cos I got carried away thinking I'd get the better job and now the original job seems really crappy to me. I can't stop focussing on the negatives (Oh no I'll have to do this, that or the other...) I've even thought about not taking it, but it was fine before bf started mentioning I might get the better one!!!
    Aaaarrgghhhh!!!
    Stupid bf opening his big mouth in the first place and stupid me for getting carried away and stupid him for getting it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

It didn't occur to me bf might be considered for the job and I def don't think he went after it. There's a high turnover of staff so I guess there could be staff shuffling after a while... I'm just so annoyed with myself cos I got carried away thinking I'd get the better job and now the original job seems really crappy to me. I can't stop focussing on the negatives (Oh no I'll have to do this, that or the other...) I've even thought about not taking it, but it was fine before bf started mentioning I might get the better one!!!
    Aaaarrgghhhh!!!
    Stupid bf opening his big mouth in the first place and stupid me for getting carried away and stupid him for getting it :rolleyes:

get over it,there are close on 200,000 people without a job in this country at the moment so be grateful for what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Athina wrote: »
    get over it,there are close on 200,000 people without a job in this country at the moment so be grateful for what you have.
    Aw thats a bit harsh!

:)

My last job both me and my b/f applied, not knowing until we were chatting about it later. That was in 2003 and I still hear about it - despite the fact the company liquidated a year ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Athina wrote: »

That is very harsh. A lot of these are what are referred to as 'long-term unemployed'. Many do not want jobs and many others do not have the necessary skills to get a job and until they bother their arses to get those skills they will remain leeches on the state. I am not talking about all of them, but these people do make up a solid core of those figures. Maybe if more of us bought local products, instead of buying cheap imports from China, they wouldn't be out of jobs.

Anyway OP, it's a toughie because you have to be happy for your boyfriend but really, he should't be rubbing your face in it (if that's what he's doing). But still, worse things could happen!

• Advertisement

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies, they, and a few hours of chilling out have given me some perspective. Ah sure, if some randomer had been given the job it would be worse wouldn't it. I'm just gonna put bf's job out of my head and try and focus on the positives of mine. Thanks again for listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Bf is clearly happy and telling me all about it, "Oh you're going to be raging cos blah blah" And I'm going "Why would I be raging?" Him : "Cos it would have been sooo perfect for you blah blah"

Id be more p*ssed that my bf was rubbing my face in it than the fact he got the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Athina

Which is it????????
    This: Many do not want jobs and many others do not have the necessary skills to get a job and until they bother their arses to get those skills they will remain leeches on the state.

Or is it this: Maybe if more of us bought local products, instead of buying cheap imports from China, they wouldn't be out of jobs.:rolleyes:

Isn't it great to be able to blame the unemployed person, does it make you feel better???, hope you never have to be out of work and see what its like to have to face the dole queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Jaysus... what a way to completely take a thread off track!

OP, again i suppose it's that same old story, maybe that wasn't the right job for you and something could just be waiting around the corner for you! I'm beginning to believe that a lot more now, have not been having any luck with interviews this year and a few people have said it to me.

If it does seem like he's rubbing it in your face, I'm sure he doesn't mean to! He's happy that he got this new job and you can't deny him that.. i know you aren't! Let him have his moment and just bear with it I suppose!!

Advertisement